• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq and the draft.

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

He had his best season statistical speaking.  He needs to get more credit.  

Does having a statistical year mean you did your job.  Shaq is not a leader.  Maybe this year he will be, but too often he misses tackles he should have made.  Maybe working with Luke during the offseason will help him in making the right positional calls so the other guys can be in the right scheme.

• Poo 1

19 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Agree...there is this idea that everyone on the team needs to be an All Pro on a team friendly deal.  Thats isn’t realistic.

Shaq is paid to be All-Pro caliber though. That's my problem. It's less with the player and more with the contract. It's double what it should've been. Which honestly is typical for a Hurney "re-sign a vet" contract.

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Shaq is paid to be All-Pro caliber though. That's my problem. It's less with the player and more with the contract. It's double what it should've been. Which honestly is typical for a Hurney "re-sign a vet" contract.

I dont think players should be at fault to the contracts that they are offered.. 

• Pie 1

I would not be at all surprised to see Shaq cut this year.  It looks like his dead cap goes from 18 million to 6 million post June 1.  If we want to re-sign him at 5 million a year after that, fine.  That's probably where he should have been to begin with.  But his 2022 salary is just too much to handle.

2 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont think players should be at fault to the contracts that they are offered.. 

CanadianCat no they shouldn't be, but for what Shaq got is over paying for someone who is not year end year out an All Pro Candidate.  Since last year was his first year at MLB we can cut him some slack, but if he doesn't progress better this year maybe restructuring his contract will be required.

there's a big difference between "not worth their contract" and "bad player." Shaq to me fits in the former category (good for him getting his bag, though) but definitely not the latter.

man I would love me some Zaven Collins as a linebacker with big time size and thump who also isn't lost in coverage. if they are able to get him in the 2nd round or something like that, I'm a happy guy.

Edited by vorbis
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, cmichd08 said:

CanadianCat no they shouldn't be, but for what Shaq got is over paying for someone who is not year end year out an All Pro Candidate.  Since last year was his first year at MLB we can cut him some slack, but if he doesn't progress better this year maybe restructuring his contract will be required.

And I would agree to a restructure. 

1 hour ago, imminent rogaine said:

Shaq is a good, valuable, vet, and really any issues with him stem directly from his contract. 

This.  He is not a bad player, just a good player on a really bad contract.  The stench of Hurney is still in the building and won't be exercised until the last player contract he touched expires

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, vorbis said:

there's a big difference between "not worth their contract" and "bad player." Shaq to me fits in the former category (good for him getting his bag, though) but definitely not the latter.

man I would love me some Zaven Collins as a linebacker with big time size and thump who also isn't lost in coverage. if they are able to get him in the 2nd round or something like that, I'm a happy guy.

Also, Shaq is still out there busting his hump. He didn't sign the big contract, then get lazy; looking at you KK.

29 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

KJ Wright, Jayon Brown, Kyle Van Noy, Corey Littleton, Dre Greenlaw. This is from last year. I wouldn’t say that had an “amazing season”. Neither did Shaq. But these guys are as good if not some are better than Shaq. 

KJ Wright wasnt resigned and is a free agent, Jayon Brown had 154 tackles last year, Van Noy had 69 tackles and 6 sacks (then got cut), Greenlaw the 5th round pick from 2 years ago??

Edited by panthers320

31 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

KJ Wright, Jayon Brown, Kyle Van Noy, Corey Littleton, Dre Greenlaw. This is from last year. I wouldn’t say that had an “amazing season”. Neither did Shaq. But these guys are as good if not some are better than Shaq. 

this only supports my point... with the comment being that tackles are not a stat to judge the talent of a linebacker... the one thing all GREAT linebackers have in common.... a tremendous amount of tackles. 

Most of the linebacker you listed are middle of the road talent wise... aside from Brown.

Btw Van Noy and Jayon Brown are not a 4-3 linebackers 

Edited by TheCasillas

Shaq did well last year. Statistically speaking he did really well. But he can make some really boneheaded moves, give up big plays, and I can’t help but cringe when he needs to make an open field tackle.

Not saying he isn’t a starter, he is. He’ll need two more years like last year to arguably live up to his paychecks. I said last year he’ll need three more and he delivered.

But for the price, I expected less mistakes. I also don’t feel like he offer much as a consistent leadership role. 

It is a Hurney contract though what can you do? He was fired for a reason. For reference, I mean the second time (eye roll).

3 hours ago, Missouri Cat Fan said:

I personally referred to him looking lost at times. Maybe he was seeing ghosts? Lol. We just need a Mike to allow our Sam and Will to do their jobs where they are suppose to. If we get a good one, I can see our defense returning to top 10 easily. Which if you know Rhule, he is All about smash mouth football. Look at tape at Rutgers. He went to Baylor and everyone in Texas in HS runs spread and RPO. So he had to adapt. But his passion is smash mouth. 

I know you were referring to him being lost, he wasn't. He was getting others into place. It's subtle, I know, but you can tell if you watch closely. That was a team that wasn't prepared to play defense last season and we had a few players who were coasting and soaking up a last contract out there.