• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Jets scout Daniel Kelly on Trey Lance

mccjeff

25 minutes ago, vorbis said:

I've seen several scout types say that Lance has unequivocally the best arm in the draft class, so for this scout to be so definitive about his lack of arm strength relative to other busts... I dunno. it felt personal to me. certainly did not come across as impartial. far from it. proceed with caution.

Having the best arm in this draft doesn’t mean his arm is special.

I agreed with most of this article. Lance doesn’t have special physical tools like a Rodgers or a Cam or Mahomes and he’s never seen nfl level competition.

If you draft him, you’re making a bet.

To me, I don’t see how Lance is any different than Grier.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Having the best arm in this draft doesn’t mean his arm is special.

I agreed with most of this article. Lance doesn’t have special physical tools like a Rodgers or a Cam or Mahomes and he’s never seen nfl level competition.

If you draft him, you’re making a bet.

To me, I don’t see how Lance is any different than Grier.

Fans go nuts for a guy that can throw the ball 60 yards, but arm strength is the most overrated quality there is.

It's not about being able to throw it a mile or throw it so hard you break somebody's fingers. It's about being able to throw it to a particular spot and make it catchable.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fans go nuts for a guy that can throw the ball 60 yards, but arm strength is the most overrated quality there is.

It's not about being able to throw it a mile or throw it so hard you break somebody's fingers. It's about being able to throw it to a particular spot and make it catchable.

I agree, arm strength can be overrated . . . however it also cannot be ignored.  May I present for your consideration our 2020 QB, Teddy Bridgewater.  Teddy can throw a catchable ball to a spot.

When you look at advanced stats, Aaron Rodgers showed 7.9 intended air yards per attempt, while Teddy showed 7.1 iaypa.  Relatively similar averages.  However, does ANYONE doubt that Rodgers is capable of pushing it downfield?  Now flip the coin . . . does ANYONE think TB5 is capable of driving a ball downfield?

The arm strength is important because it keeps the defense honest.  You don't have to be Favre, Elway or Rodgers to get it done . . . or even pre-shoulder apocalypse Cam, but you do need a "good" arm.  You have to be able to legitimately threaten the defense deep.

Actually, Cam is probably the best example of this.  Once defenses realized his arm was gone, he became a completely average QB.  He only holds on to that "average" label because he can still run pretty well for a QB.  Take away his run game and frankly he's out of the league.

Edited by BrianS

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I agree, arm strength can be overrated . . . however it also cannot be ignored.  May I present for your consideration our 2020 QB, Teddy Bridgewater.  Teddy can throw a catchable ball to a spot.

When you look at advanced stats, Aaron Rodgers showed 7.9 intended air yards per attempt, while Teddy showed 7.1 iaypa.  However, does ANYONE doubt that Rodgers is capable of pushing it downfield?  Now flip the coin . . . does ANYONE think TB5 is capable of driving a ball downfield?

The arm strength is important because it keeps the defense honest.  You don't have to be Favre, Elway or Rodgers to get it done . . . or even pre-shoulder apocalypse Cam, but you do need a "good" arm.  You have to be able to legitimately threaten the defense deep.

Actually, Cam is probably the best example of this.  Once defenses realized his arm was gone, he became a completely average QB.  He only holds on to that "average" label because he can still run pretty well for a QB.  Take away his run game and frankly he's out of the league.

Arm strength isn't Teddy's biggest issue.

Lack of testicular fortitude is

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4

9 minutes ago, BrianS said:

When you look at advanced stats, Aaron Rodgers showed 7.9 intended air yards per attempt, while Teddy showed 7.1 iaypa.  Relatively similar averages.  However, does ANYONE doubt that Rodgers is capable of pushing it downfield?  Now flip the coin . . . does ANYONE think TB5 is capable of driving a ball downfield?

Ehhhhhh....

You have to be able to make every throw, that is for certain, but the bigger thing...you have to be willing to make said throw when needed.

Teddy can make most every throw, so can Andy Dalton, Philip Rivers, and Tom Brady, none of them known to have power arms, the difference, all of them are willing to pull the trigger when it's time.  Rivers being the most willing and Andy being the least.  For Teddy, it's a non starter.

Mac Jones looks to have an average to below average NFL arm, but, sure looks like he's willing to gamble on it sometimes.  Personally, I don't LOVE the arm of any of these QB's not named Wilson.  Fields can throw hard, Trevor has an above average NFL arm I believe.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes, but being able to fit a throw into tight windows is helpful.

Sometimes the only way to make a play is to throw a laser.

1 hour ago, Call Me James said:

Former.

Jets. 

You see where I'm going. 

Jets drafted Darnold....

Many Huddlers have annointed Darnold as the franchise QB and would pass on Fields for SeWell or Slater who is built like a G, but played T....

This is Huddle logic at it's finest. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Link?

Appolgies, looks like it was a radio interview.

I'm on my phone so we'll see how it goes but here's a link to his radio interview and a screenshot of the tweet.

*Bonus* Now theres a tweet from 5 minutes ago that Zach Wilson is going to be a bust too. 

http://www.charlestonsportsradio.com/2021/04/20/the-mauro-midday-show-4-20-21-hour-2/?fbclid=IwAR0cKFnius1Fv4HYntlp0em22vNAt2hdHPwkE7Pb7_dme2q6D0b_U90nYeU

Screenshot_20210421-111346_Chrome.jpg

20210421_111402.jpg

• Pie 1

Just now, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Appolgies, looks like it was a radio interview.

I'm on my phone so we'll see how it goes but here's a link to his radio interview and a screenshot of the tweet.

*Bonus* Now theres a tweet from 5 minutes ago that Zach Wilson is going to be a bust too. 

http://www.charlestonsportsradio.com/2021/04/20/the-mauro-midday-show-4-20-21-hour-2/?fbclid=IwAR0cKFnius1Fv4HYntlp0em22vNAt2hdHPwkE7Pb7_dme2q6D0b_U90nYeU

Screenshot_20210421-111346_Chrome.jpg

20210421_111402.jpg

He sounds insane. Yikes.

• Beer 1