• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting quote on Sam Darnold from the Athletic article grading all QB’s in this draft class

WarPanthers89

1 minute ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Only thing going for the kid,he is young. 

If Belichick was his coach he would still throw more picks than TDs like he did last year. 

I disagree. I just think you’re sore the Panthers didn’t get your “guy” whoever that was. 

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Or we become the new Jets, the team always outsmarting themselves. History says they'll take a Mac Jones type of a player but I had Z.Wilson as a bust so all's well...

Your right...we should have traded three 1st to get someone like Mac Jones instead. That would have been smarter.

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I was reading the Athletic this morning and checking out an article from Bob McGinn “Ranking the top quarterbacks in the NFL draft”. It was long and insightful, and I found an interesting note about Sam Darnold at the very end of it when talking about teams being patient finding a franchise QB. 

Two personnel evaluators argued that the Jets, who are expected to draft a quarterback at No. 2, just traded away a capable one in Sam Darnold, their choice at No. 3 in 2018. An NFC executive maintained Darnold would rank No. 1 in this year’s class, and an AFC executive had Darnold ranked ahead of everyone other than Lawrence.

“The biggest mistake made this year will be letting Darnold go to Carolina,” the AFC scout said. “He was caught in a bad situation.”

I was already excited to see what Sam could do in our system, with the weapons we currently have, but this got me even more fired up to land a good LT in round one or two to protect the guy. 

AE62DCBC-F4AF-4610-B759-71E1225016AE.jpeg

No idea if he will reach his potential with us but I totally agree. He would be better than most if not all the QBs in this draft and he has 3 years of NFL experience. I would much rather ride with Darnold and getting our left tackle of the future plus more draft picks versus picking a project like Lance or Justin.

• Pie 8

26 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Cam Newton is treated like Jesus and literally plays for Belichick and threw more INTs than TDs.

Drew Brees his first 3 years:

2001- 1TD 0INT

2002- 17TD 15INT

2003- 11TD 15INT

Newton is soon to be 32 with an arm that isn't the same anymore and likely headed to a backup role if he accepts. If you are comparing Sam to Brees this early you may want to temper your expectations. Let us see how he responds to new coaching.

47 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Only thing going for the kid,he is young. 

If Belichick was his coach he would still throw more picks than TDs like he did last year. 

Your opinion based on conjecture, which you are welcome to, but going forward we will find out for sure, rather than just conjecturing. I still maintain that there is a significant element of randomness, and given that there is, the price paid to acquire a still viable prospect was very reasonable. 

Edited by 1of10Charnatives
  • Pie 4

5 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

picking up Darnold for a 2nd was a smart play regardless of how he pans out. it puts us in a position of power in the draft, instead of chasing players.

if he bombs, we lost a 2nd round pick. if he does well, we stole a QB

This. The cost benefit ratio of the gamble this trade represents is a favorable one.

• Pie 3

We can't change anything now. Darnold is our QB for at least 2021 and probably 2022 if they pick up his option. I don't see us drafting a QB. If somebody they want (non-QB) his there at 8, they'll take him. If not, trade back. I think this move was more about not paying a kings ransom for a QB and Darnold has a lot of potential (yes that's an if, but they all are). How knows, maybe Watson gets cut after a while and we sign him for 2022 (he's not an if). Anything is possible.

I trust in what the FO is doing, building us a team that will win every year. I would rather be 10-6/11-5 every year with a chance to go all the way then up and down every year. Look at the Saints, who are really good every year. Brees is amazing but they only won it one year. They had a great coach and usually a solid team around him. It takes a team to win, not just one player (last years SB loss for KC). 

• Pie 4

Making the move for Sam Darnold comes at a time when there was little in the way of certainty about the Panthers' chances of drafting a quarterback, even if they found one they loved.

The Jaguars are locked in on Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, and the Jets seem close to that level of certainty regarding Wilson. With the 49ers just trading three first-rounders and a third to get to the No. 3 spot, that suggests there's a quarterback there they feel strongly about. With the fourth (Atlanta) and seventh (Detroit) picks held by teams with some question about the future of the position, there's no way to guarantee the Panthers could draft one of the top five prospects (including Justin Fields, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones).

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Making the move for Sam Darnold comes at a time when there was little in the way of certainty about the Panthers' chances of drafting a quarterback, even if they found one they loved.

The Jaguars are locked in on Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, and the Jets seem close to that level of certainty regarding Wilson. With the 49ers just trading three first-rounders and a third to get to the No. 3 spot, that suggests there's a quarterback there they feel strongly about. With the fourth (Atlanta) and seventh (Detroit) picks held by teams with some question about the future of the position, there's no way to guarantee the Panthers could draft one of the top five prospects (including Justin Fields, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones).

I think we put ourselves in a good situation by trading for Darnold.  There is going to be a ton of action and trading for those QBs.  I will be surprised if any of the top 5 QBs will be there.

If one falls to 8 we have the opportunity to trade down and still get a quality LT and have other picks as well as a future 1st. 

Had we not traded for Darnold we would be looking at having to trade up to get one of those QBs which would entail us losing draft capital this year and next. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2