• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Robert Kraft opens Containerboard mill few miles from the Panthers new state of the art headquarters

Ja  Rhule

37 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Are you sure?  I was sure it was on that side right on Catawba river?  I guess I’m not good at research but it’s short ways away.

Yes, Its to the Right of Mt. Gallant Rd, South of Eden Terrace, North of Manchester Meadows Park.

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article251258179.html

South Carolina environmental officials are demanding that a cardboard factory in Catawba lower gas emissions that are making the area smell like rotten eggs.

The New-Indy factory is belching out too much of a “noxious air contaminant,” making parts of Lancaster and York counties and neighboring areas in North Carolina, including Charlotte, reek, according to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.

DHEC’s order tells New-Indy to check its regulations and equipment in order to decrease the emissions.

“This order clearly defines immediate actions that New Indy must take to ensure good air quality for the people who live and work near the facility,” said Dr. Edward Simmer, DHEC director. “As the state’s public health and environmental protection agency, it is our duty to ensure that companies in South Carolina are good stewards of our beautiful state and that our residents have clean, odor-free air to the extent we can control.”

New-Indy has disputed claims that the plant is to blame for the odor.

• Pie 1

I worked for 3 decades in the paper industry - The smell is probably hydrogen sulfide that comes from making sulfite pulp. There are filters that can "scrub" (actually, adsorb) the smelly compound, but they aren't cheap and "pro-business" states like South Carolina typically don't require them.

• Pie 1

We used to call this place Bowater back in the 1970's. 

If the wind was just right you'd get a rotten egg smell in the air for days at a time in the Providence Rd/Sharon Amity area of Charlotte.   It wasn't long before enough public/government pressure was put on the company to install scrubbers on their stacks.  Air quality improved dramatically after that. 

Can't believe people are having to deal with this issue again, 50 years later.

• Pie 1

I saw a story about this mill this morning on WCNC. The residents near the mill are complaining about the toxins coming from the paper mill. One guy has been to the ER three times, due to having asthma attacks brought on by the fumes. The residents that live near it are furious and trying to pressure the government to do something. I will say, if there is air scrubbers to stop the fumes produced by the mill, then they should have to install them.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Cam's New Arm said:

sounds like a good time for a "protest"!

Sounds like New Indy got 2 months to get it fixed or they might get shutdown.  When Kraft purchased the mill, they had air scrubbers but those scrubbers very limiting the amount of volume mill can produce so they retired air scrubbers and increased output volume, shitting on all people in the area.

• Pie 5

14 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

We used to call this place Bowater back in the 1970's. 

If the wind was just right you'd get a rotten egg smell in the air for days at a time in the Providence Rd/Sharon Amity area of Charlotte.   It wasn't long before enough public/government pressure was put on the company to install scrubbers on their stacks.  Air quality improved dramatically after that. 

Can't believe people are having to deal with this issue again, 50 years later.

Yep, as kids anytime we would smell something that would stink, we would say it smelled like Bowater.  I had actually forgotten where we got the term until you jogged my memory.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

I’m pro business but no business has the right to pollute the air and water around them. I am for some of these environmental protections.

I smelled it only once when wife and I were driving on 521 in Indian Land…. It was truly the most disgusting smell I have ever experienced.  I’d rather smell volcanic sulfur gas than that.

• Pie 1