• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Sam Darnold a 1-Year Rental?

SizzleBuzz

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

They are taking liberty of Fitterer's statement  IMO.  Fitt said that there is a plan in place and they would deal with both 5th year options after the draft. I did not take that to me Darnold is on such shaky ground.

There was discussion a while back that the team might restructure his contract so that instead of him having a 4 million hit this year and an 18 million hit next year, they'd just spread it evenly over the two years (about 11.5 million each).

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the "strong plan".

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Giving up what we did for a one year contract would be a dumbass move.

Giving up a 2nd PLUS 18 mil next year to a terrible QB would be a bigger dumb ass move.

You don’t give a guy a guaranteed 18 mil extension just because you gave up something to acquire him. 

Acquisition cost shouldn’t drive retention decisions.

After all, there is a significant chance this guy becomes clausen 2.0.

If he plays great, give him a contract. If not, let him walk. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

They are taking liberty of Fitterer's statement  IMO.  Fitt said that there is a plan in place and they would deal with both 5th year options after the draft. I did not take that to me Darnold is on such shaky ground.

Crazy things can happen during the draft

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

I think the “plan” is to exercise it if Fields doesn’t drop to 8.

Exactly right 

panthers covered their bets. It’s a win either way, even for  Darnold if he plays well  if he doesn’t play well, Fields is there.

Darnold hasnt exactly set the world on fire. In QBR, number 33.  

Time is up for him and any excuses 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, BigTeddyFan said:

Once Teddy beats out Sam as QB1 it will be easy enough to let Sam walk if the option hasn’t been picked up, so it makes no sense to pick up the option now.

1) Obvious troll is obvious.

2) The decision to have to pick up the option has to be made a few days after the upcoming draft. Any QB competition that occurs (and unless Darnold is just absolutely terrible in camp there won't be one--the team has clearly moved on from Teddy) will occur well after that decision is made.  So even if you were serious (you weren't; see point 1), that isn't even an option.