• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Sam Darnold a 1-Year Rental?

SizzleBuzz

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

They're going to exercise it even if Fields drops to eight. Exercising it pre-draft would be showing their hand.

Probably but I’m not 100% sure about that... That’s a lot of cap to be taken up by what is likely to be a backup QB if we draft Fields. I think the point is moot though since Fields likely isn’t dropping to 8.

Panthers are not drafting a quarterback at 8. If Fields and/or Lance is there, they are most likely trading back to another team. If no trade back, then taking the BPA who is not a QB. Darnold option is getting picked up after the draft and he's the starter day 1. Teddy won't be here one way or the other. This has been pretty obvious since Darnold was traded for.

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, Tbe said:

Giving up a 2nd PLUS 18 mil next year to a terrible QB would be a bigger dumb ass move.

You don’t give a guy a guaranteed 18 mil extension just because you gave up something to acquire him. 

Acquisition cost shouldn’t drive retention decisions.

After all, there is a significant chance this guy becomes clausen 2.0.

If he plays great, give him a contract. If not, let him walk. 

And if he turns out great, keeping him next year could cost a lot more than 18 million.

Only a moron would trade anything significant for a one year rental.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, ncstatekwi said:

Read in another article they were holding off in the event they could use Darnold as trade bait during draft...interesting..perhaps keeping all options open!  Obviously a lot of speculation...

Would be wicked crazy if they traded for Darnold to just turn him and trade him during draft.

Sorry but that is not happening lol

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And if he turns out great, keeping him next year could cost a lot more than 18 million.

Only a moron would trade anything significant for a one year rental.

I don’t think there is any chance he turns into a 30+ mil a year QB. 20-25 max in a best case scenario.

The precedent with TB is there. If Darnold sucks he’s not playing next year. It doesn’t matter what picks we traded.

There is absolutely a reason they are waiting until after the draft to extend him. Fitts has even said that a QB is still in play. I hear that smokescreens aren’t as common as people think...  They also said there is a QB on the draft they are excited about. I mean it’s not even a secret at this point. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We are not cutting him.  You do not understand simple math

We’re not going to keep him on the team. He is useless and would just be a distraction. No fan wants him on the team. 
I understand one simple thing Bridgewater will be cut or traded. Despite what people like you seem to think. 
Bridgewater sucks and the team will lose fans if he is on the team come September. 
I could give a damn about math or the freaking cap. 
Get Bridgewater off my freaking team and good riddance to that freaking, overpaid hack. 

Just now, TLGPanthersFan said:

We’re not going to keep him on the team. He is useless and would just be a distraction. No fan wants him on the team. 
I understand one simple thing Bridgewater will be cut or traded. Despite what people like you seem to think. 
Bridgewater sucks and the team will lose fans if he is on the team come September. 
I could give a damn about math or the freaking cap. 
Get Bridgewater off my freaking team and good riddance to that freaking, overpaid hack. 

We are not cutting him.  You do not understand simple math

• Poo 1