• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would the Panthers sign Lamar Jackson if the Ravens dump him?

SizzleBuzz

Interesting theory about cycling QB's. I mean I doubt it would ever happen but the theory is interesting. 

Some draft people say that you should draft a 1st round QB every year because the upside is so high and the risk is so low. Meaning you draft a 1st round QB, he stinks you can often still trade him for a #1 or high value pick. (See Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Carsen Wentz, as an example). 

2 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

It seems like there's some real trouble brewing there. Especially after Jackson and Greg Roman started taking shots at each other.  Trading him would be one of the ballsiest moves in NFL history because he IS their entire offense.

I get the feeling that's more likely to end with Roman being let go than Jackson.

I will grant though, at some point Jackson needs to show that he can win a playoff game.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

It's a radical thesis but the situation Bucky Brookes outlines as it goes to how the Ravens might handle Lamar Jackson is thought provoking...

image.thumb.png.5c582b344b1a524f07040e3736c6d6a6.png

image.thumb.png.33d9cd93e78a9c4872506b40b81473b4.png

https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/ravens-could-dump-lamar-jackson-in-radical-move-nfl-expert/

If they really want to take the Army approach, then I’d take both of their first rounds so they can get Lance.

6 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

If they dump him they probably still get a comp pick out of the deal...

A 3rd round comp pick for a 24 year old MVP winning QB? Yikes. Nah, they'd trade him for a very significant haul.

The only reasons I'm saying they should consider it is 1) his heavy running style will likely eventually lead to injury issues and 2) his trend of poor playoff performances is becoming concerning.

• Pie 1

I've been pushing this theory for a while now. I don't think any team is ready to take that leap just yet. It's why I believe we should not pass on Fields or Lance if they are there. 

There is a huge market inefficiency when it comes to qbs in the NFL. As it stands, having a starting qb on a rookie contract gives you an extra $15-25m in cap space for the rest of your team. 

As trade capital, no other position comes close. So why not draft a qb every year. Not necessarily 1st round, but maybe top 3. Rookie contracts last 4 years. If half of them end up being backup level, you can still recoup the cost trading them away. If even 25% end up above average, your will have 10-12 picks in every draft. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1