• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much. The way I put it was that you don't want the least knowledgeable guy in the room to be the one driving the decisions. That's how you wind up being the WFT.

Tepper stated at Fitterer's press conference that he knows he's not an evaluator and he's not going to try to be one, so I'd really rather not see him going back on that statement.

You're a businessman, not a football guy. Let the football people do their jobs and butt out.

WFT was in the playoffs even after a loss to us, and here we are as a board thinking Sam Darnold is the future, lord save us. 

I don't care that he's 23 years old, give me the top prospect and rookie pay to build this team around vs having to pay 20M on Darnold's 5th year, and 1) paying him beyond that or 2) having to start over again. 

This off-season is the cross-road, take a swing at a top prospect, or look at a guy in Darnold who was not in an ideal situation in NY and hope for the best...I personally like Field's resume over anything Darnold did coming out of USC. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What if the situation is that the football people think Fields is a legit franchise QB prospect, but they'd prefer to pick an OT or CB they have graded higher?

We know Tepper's philosophy. Coach, GM, QB. Everything else is a want. Those are the three needs.

Regardless of what the situation is, the most he should do is nod his head and say "okay".

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I get that. And that's likely why he's pushing for Fields. He has said that there are three components to fielding a consistently competitive NFL team - coach, GM, and QB. He's pretty sure he's checked two of the three boxes but there's still a big question mark on the third. I don't think he would be pushing for Fields if we didn't really like him ("we" meaning the football people). Sure, we may have an OT or a CB rated higher than Fields. Great. But, an OT or a CB isn't one of Tepper's core components. If you don't have a franchise QB and you think there's a franchise QB available, you take the QB. Period. A Joe Thomas isn't carrying an average QB to the Super Bowl and neither is a Darrelle Revis. You NEED a franchise QB to consistently compete. A top tier LT or CB are nice pieces but you can't build a great team without one. You can't build a great team without a franchise QB.

Tepper has already shown he is willing to meddle with the football side with the Teddy and Watson situations. It's safe to say he would do the same with Fields if he really likes him despite what his football people say.

Sure, a Thomas or Revis can't carry a team to a Superbowl alone. Neither can a QB. The Panthers had a franchise QB in Cam. How consistently did the Panthers compete with him? How many winning seasons did he lead them to? Being obsessed with one position is not a path to success. You can only field one QB and they generally take a while to develop. Constantly drafting, trading for, or signing QBs and not giving one time to develop until you find one that is an instant success is a recipe for failure because you are taking assists away that can be used to help increase the team's talent level as a whole.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I just can’t believe it why do u give all those picks for someone if ur just going to draft one. I really hope it’s a smokescreen. I mean if we didn’t trade for Darnold I would be all for it but now I think that would be crazy with all the value with all these other guys especially LT

"all those picks" lmao. You act like we gave up a kings ransom.

Our new GM comes from an organization that prides itself on acquiring picks and drafting their core players in the mid rounds.

42 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Tepper should not have a say in this at all period.

LOL its cute you think that the owner is not going to voice his opinion on who he wants drafted in the first round - especially when its a QB we are talking about.  Im sure pretty much ALL owners have their hands in the proverbial cookie jar when it comes to things like this.  Hell, did you read the recent article about the Eagles?  Lurie pretty much acts like another scout for the team and is all up in the draft and coaching process.  Look at it from the owners perspective - would you pay billions of dollars for a team, and then not want to be involved in building the roster, at least a little bit?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Whether he will or won't influence the decision, don't know.

What I do know is that he shouldn't, and if he's smart, he won't.

And to be clear, we don't know for sure what he wants, but I'd say that even if he agreed with everything I think they should do. I'm not gonna change my opinion on owner interference depending on whether he agrees with me or not. It's bad either way.

Let the football people do their jobs.

So if Lawrence slips and falls to us you would stick with Darnold? I know there is no chance in hell of that happening, but I’m just curious. If Watson is miraculously cleared and we can have him for our first, would you do it? I getting wanting to fix our line. If we get Sewell I will be thrilled (even if Fields is still there). That’s just such a pivotal position and if our staff thinks a better option is available they didn’t think would be, they shouldn’t take it?

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Hell, did you read the recent article about the Eagles?  Lurie pretty much acts like another scout for the team and is all up in the draft and coaching process.

Which is a big reason why some of their drafts have gone to sh-t.

Eagle scouts have complained that they'd have a whole draft board set up, be ready to pick the next guy on it and then Howie Roseman would just go completely off script. Some believe he was covering for Lurie.

That's not much different than Jay Gruden complaining that the personnel guys would do all the research, have their plan in place and then watch Dan Snyder come in and tell them who to take instead.

I'd like to hope Tepper is smarter than to pull sh-t like that, but we don't know.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So if Lawrence slips and falls to us you would stick with Darnold? I know there is no chance in hell of that happening, but I’m just curious. If Watson is miraculously cleared and we can have him for our first, would you do it? I getting wanting to fix our line. If we get Sewell I will be thrilled (even if Fields is still there). That’s just such a pivotal position and if our staff thinks a better option is available they didn’t think would be, they shouldn’t take it?

We're not talking about the decision. Tell me who's making the decision.

If it's Fitterer and Rhule, I'm on board.

If it's Tepper, not so much.

• Pie 1