• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

4 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/27/nfl-mock-draft-san-francisco-49ers-mac-jones-bengals-jamarr-chase

it makes sense, we tried signing or trading for almost every big name QB this offseason from Haskins to Trubisky. I think Tepper is hell bent on getting the QB position right

I just can’t believe it why do u give all those picks for someone if ur just going to draft one. I really hope it’s a smokescreen. I mean if we didn’t trade for Darnold I would be all for it but now I think that would be crazy with all the value with all these other guys especially LT

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I just can’t believe it why do u give all those picks for someone if ur just going to draft one. I really hope it’s a smokescreen. I mean if we didn’t trade for Darnold I would be all for it but now I think that would be crazy with all the value with all these other guys especially LT

Because you didn't think he'd be there at #8 at the time.

I said basically this same thing yesterday.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

It all comes down to this.

Some people believe you should build the team (or at least the O line) before fixing the QB position.

Some think you should find the QB before putting together a team.

Tepper is the 2nd type. 

We will spend significant draft capital on multiple QBs over the next few years. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we trade down for future picks for this purpose. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, jtm said:

Whatever we do, I hope it is Fitterer and his staff making the pick rather than Tepper.  It rarely ends well when owners that have zero scouting experience start making personnel decisions.  

Pretty much. The way I put it was that you don't want the least knowledgeable guy in the room to be the one driving the decisions. That's how you wind up being the WFT.

Tepper stated at Fitterer's press conference that he knows he's not an evaluator and he's not going to try to be one, so I'd really rather not see him going back on that statement.

You're a businessman, not a football guy. Let the football people do their jobs and butt out.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's another option too. Don't force either and take the best path forward given the options available. IMO, if you don't have a franchise QB you can't pass on a franchise QB prospect. If that's what we think Fields is then by all means he should be the pick if he's there. Having Darnold here means we're not forced to throw him to the wolves if he isn't ready.

Tep isn’t exactly the ‘stay patient and hope for the best’ type.

• Beer 2

Sounds like a solid plan. I would hope Rhule wouldn't want a repeat of last year but who really knows at this point. 

Until we have a proven franchise QB we need to keep trying to get one. Spending a 2nd in 2022 on Darnold isn't enough of a commitment or cost to not take a QB at 8 or in the later rounds. 

I don't like that it has to come from the owner but I do like the outcome in this case. 

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Sounds like a solid plan. I would hope Rhule wouldn't want a repeat of last year but who really knows at this point. 

Until we have a proven franchise QB we need to keep trying to get one. Spending a 2nd in 2022 on Darnold isn't enough of a commitment or cost to not take a QB at 8 or in the later rounds. 

I don't like that it has to come from the owner but I do like the outcome in this case. 

I really think Tepper is just giving Rhule and Fitts permission to be aggressive.

He’s allowing them to take big bets without fearing for their jobs.

They know these kinds of bets could make the team worse.

They won’t put their necks out like that unless the owner is leading the charge.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Huh? The 49ers gave up 3 first for the 3rd pick, if it turns out we get one of the QB’s at 8, effectively all we gave up was a 2nd next year of value to smokescreen the league.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2