• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

At Fitterer's introductory press conference, Tepper stated that he's not an evaluator and he's not going to try to be one.

I'm absolutely hoping he sticks to that statement.

You and me both. Give the guys you hired your wants/asks, let them figure out how to deliver best.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jtm said:

Whatever we do, I hope it is Fitterer and his staff making the pick rather than Tepper.  It rarely ends well when owners that have zero scouting experience start making personnel decisions.  

I agree but listen to all the so called 'experts'. Reports are Shanahan want Jones and Lynch wants Lance. A lot of people think Fields may fall while some can't fathom how he's not second or third among the QBs. Some of it is truly a guessing game. I don't want a Jerry Jones type either, just saying if it's a split decision and Tepper says he wants to QB, it's almost like a 50/50 chance.

7 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Also without google, can ANY of you name the LT for the Cardinals....I'll wait. 

DJ Humphries - most on here should know this because he and Shaq were holding hands on Gettleman's board. Humphries went to Arizona one pick before we took Shaq Thompson.

50 minutes ago, vorbis said:

if the Panthers take Fields at 8 and then either he or Darnold works out to be a long-term starter, or even a pro bowl caliber player, then 5 years from now nobody will care that both players were carried on the roster for a period of time.

it's only if neither of them works out that this will be seen as a failure. and even then, the failure will have been in the evaluation of Fields AND Darnold independently, not the decision to take two big shots at the position.

Exactly. I haven't heard anyone bashing Seattle for getting Tavaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson. What the say is, Seattle kept collecting QBs until they found the right one.

51 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I really think Tepper is just giving Rhule and Fitts permission to be aggressive.

He’s allowing them to take big bets without fearing for their jobs.

They know these kinds of bets could make the team worse.

They won’t put their necks out like that unless the owner is leading the charge.

At this point, that sounds great but the real dynamics are all guesses in the end. Maybe Rhule and Fritts are all in on Darnold and Tep wants to play better odds. Tep wants to make money, Rhule wants to win and I'm not sure enough to know how much power Fritters has in this dynamic.

At the end of the day the fans, media and professionals are all weathermen/women making guesses anyways for different reasons and motivations. BB is a HOFer and he still has plenty of poor areas in his GMing.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

At Fitterer's introductory press conference, Tepper stated that he's not an evaluator and he's not going to try to be one.

I'm absolutely hoping he sticks to that statement.

If our coaching staff had influence in signing Teddy, maybe we should let Tepper pick the QBs.

Seriously though, Idon’t think Teoler is there playing fantasy football with the team making every draft pick.

Although, it would be naive to think that most owners don’t have considerable input with top-10 picks, especially if a QB is involved.

6 minutes ago, AppHeel said:

DJ Humphries - most on here should know this because he and Shaq were holding hands on Gettleman's board. Humphries went to Arizona one pick before we took Shaq Thompson.

The idea that fans not knowing who a team's left tackle is means the position isn't that important has to be one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen.

Ask any quarterback if his left tackle is important.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Darnold is 23 and mostly just a kid still. He may not ever be more than he is now, but the way to find out is by giving him a fair chance. Give him better coaching and a better supporting cast than he had in New York. Having a first round QB looking over his shoulder would not be a fair chance. The pressure to start the rookie would be too great. The fans would be calling for the rookie to start the second he is drafted. Even if the coaches wanted to use Darnold, they would have Tepper's pressure to start the rookie too as he would want to see his new rookie out there.

The only LTs that hit the market are those that are past their prime or not worth what they want to get paid. Having a franchise LT on a rookie contract with a fifth year option would be beneficial to the team as well.

I get that Darnold is still a young man in the league but he is also entering his 4th year! Not taking Fields if he falls to #8 should not be because we want to shield Darnold from competition. The only reason we should pass on Fields if he is there is if we do not think Fields can be our guy or if we have a strong belief in Darnold to be our guy. The idea that Darnold “deserves” anything is ridiculous. This is the NFL. Competition is the business these guys have signed up for. If Darnold becomes our QB of the future it is because he has shown he deserves to be.

• Pie 4

42 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Regardless of what the situation is, the most he should do is nod his head and say "okay".

Have you ever dealt with a business owner on anything? You don't get rich coming from humble beginnings by quietly sitting back and nodding and saying "okay". That's just not how it works.

I don't think Tepper would force Fields on them if they don't already really like him, but if they do and they need a little nudging to take him over some OT or CB that's where I'd fully expect a nudge to come in.

• Pie 1

Call me crazy but I care more about results than whether Tepper is telling his football people to draft a QB.  If we end up with a franchise QB after this off-season, I really don't care what hand Tepper had in that.  It's pretty clear he isn't directing every move or take. If he is for this particular case... his team, and if it works out, good.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The idea that fans not knowing who a team's left tackle is means the position isn't that important has to be one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen.

Left tackle might be the second most important position.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

yeah no doubt  it's really important we should've got Cam a good LT but we didn't

however in NY whenever the Jets selected one of the best LT  out of last year's draft then Darnold's numbers didn't dramatically improve but  instead they got much worse

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Have you ever dealt with a business owner on anything? You don't get rich coming from humble beginnings by quietly sitting back and nodding and saying "okay". That's just not how it works.

I don't think Tepper would force Fields on them if they don't already really like him, but if they do and they need a little nudging to take him over some OT or CB that's where I'd fully expect a nudge to come in.

I always love the "he's rich so he must know what he's doing" suggestion. As mentioned elsewhere, that idea works really well in places like Washington and Dallas.

What's sad to me is that you've previously been heavily against owner interference, but now with the idea that he might want your favorite guy, you're suddenly okay with it?