• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy B to the Broncos for a 6th!

joemac

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

As I understand it nothing about his salary next year was guaranteed. It was essentially a 2 year deal.

Yeah, you're right. I can't keep up. We essentially got three mil and moved up 35 spots. I'll take it!

Edited by top dawg

26 minutes ago, Verge said:

Both Detroit and Carolina make sense with this. 

Even more so Detroit.  I get the local South Carolina connection.

but we already signed 1 vet CB on a Short year deal.  Throwing in Gilmore would be nice but would be a win now type move for us.

Detroit has Okudah who was hyped last year and struggled.  Having Gilmore come in with him makes the most sense 

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He already was off the books if we wanted

I found this from one of my previous posts. Looks like if we cut him, we were on the hook for $20M, although making it post June 1 would have spread it out $15 this year and $5M next year. Teddy still gets his $20M, but now it's $17M from us (all in 2021) and $3M from Denver, plus we get #191. That's a win IMO.

image.png.29ba44d9482026d163e1afd23e9e5129.png

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Verge said:

Both Detroit and Carolina make sense with this. 

Getting Gilmore suddenly makes our defense nasty.  Then let him walk next year and cash in that 3rd round comp pick.

With 15, you could still probably get Darrisaw, Slater, or Vera-Tucker.  Then grab a slot WR in the second, Grant in the 3rd, Davis Mills and a G in the 4th, and RB in the 5th.  I might even try to convert some of this year's 6ths to 2022 5ths.

If Darnold is decent, I think this puts us in the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

Please no. He's almost 31 and in the last year of his deal. And, if the Patriots get rid of you you're almost done.

If he's decent, he'll help us and then net a good comp pick next year.  There is going to be a ton of money out there next year and he will get paid by someone.  It's like getting a CB1 for a year plus an extra 3rd.

Hmm so we save an extra $3 million and get a 6th round pick? Pretty solid. Better to get some value before the draft in case we draft Fields and the whole world knows we're not keeping Teddy and lose all trade leverage. That being said, it feels like Denver got a good deal. Get Teddy for $3 million by giving up a 6th round pick that's more likely than not to be out of the league in 3 years? Sure Teddy for $20 million is a tough pill to swallow but at $3 million he's a great bargain. Seems like one of those win win situations.

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

I was expecting better than a 6th though. I'm thinking where we go with our 1st pick depends on whether a QB we like falls to us. One way or the other we still need to protect our QB.

According to Michael Silver, it was originally going to be a seventh.

The Broncos bumped it up to a sixth to convince the Panthers to pay part of his salary.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get the feeling this thread will be as popular as the one announcing they fired Marty Hurney.

Wonder which of those two transactions folks feel is the bigger relief.

Hurney, there is no question.  Teddy 'checkdown' could only frustrate the fans and deliver mediocre win/loss results.  Hurney's incompetence almost wrecked a franchise.