• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final first round predictions!

Jaxel

Carolina trades w/ Washington after Lance slips and Detroit takes Sewell. 

We trade the #8 for the #19, #51, and 2022 1st round.

We end up selecting. Christian Darrisaw. 

We now have 2 picks in the 1st round next year and prepare next offseason to trade for an unhappy Aaron Rodgers.

I said early on that we'd take Mac Jones but a lot, and I mean a lot, has changed since then. Something, though, tells me that things are going to work out in just such a way that Jones is still available at #8. And I think we take him.

Darnold can compete for the spot. If he wants it bad enough, he just has to beat out a rookie QB to be the starter. And I don't think we take the option on Darnold's fifth year, but instead see how this plays out. If Darnold plays great then we negotiate out a longer deal at competitive rates and Jones sits on the bench and learns the game, gets more athletic and plays the traditional role of rookie QB2. If Darnold falters, then Jones comes in and we negotiate with Darnold as if he is a back-up QB, which we still actually need (Grier will never see the field in regular season again with us).

If Jones isn't there, I think we grab Slater and solidify our line. And we double down in the second, picking up Creed Humphrey for guard/center and take Quinn Meinerz in the fourth for guard.

Third rounder will be Jevon Holland as a safety. The guy is a good deep center fielder. Less Eric Reed more Ed Reed .. smart, strategic player who relies more on film study and anticipation than speed and hitting power.

After that it's just guess work.

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I said early on that we'd take Mac Jones but a lot, and I mean a lot, has changed since then. Something, though, tells me that things are going to work out in just such a way that Jones is still available at #8. And I think we take him.

Darnold can compete for the spot. If he wants it bad enough, he just has to beat out a rookie QB to be the starter. And I don't think we take the option on Darnold's fifth year, but instead see how this plays out. If Darnold plays great then we negotiate out a longer deal at competitive rates and Jones sits on the bench and learns the game, gets more athletic and plays the traditional role of rookie QB2. If Darnold falters, then Jones comes in and we negotiate with Darnold as if he is a back-up QB, which we still actually need (Grier will never see the field in regular season again with us).

I'm on record not wanting a quarterback with the first pick, but there are some I could accept more than others.

Jones? You'd really have to talk to me into that one.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If Jones isn't there, I think we grab Slater and solidify our line. And we double down in the second, picking up Creed Humphrey for guard/center and take Quinn Meinerz in the fourth for guard.

Third rounder will be Jevon Holland as a safety. The guy is a good deep center fielder. Less Eric Reed more Ed Reed .. smart, strategic player who relies more on film study and anticipation than speed and hitting power.

After that it's just guess work.

Now this is a bold prediction. Love it .

• Pie 1

As I mentioned in another thread...

My ideal scenario for the first 2 rounds would be to select Slater and another offensive lineman in the second round who can play both T and G positions (Jenkins/Leatherwood), just like Slater.  Let both battle it out for the LT spot and the loser plays inside

I would also be happy with a trade down if it’s with the Eagles or Cowboys.  I seen talks this morning that the Eagles are trying to trade up to secure Patrick Surtain, having to leapfrog Denver and Dallas (Giants are ahead of them but they’re not a threat to pick a CB). If this rumor is true, and the Cowboys also really want Surtain, Dallas might get in a bid against Philly to trade up with us.  

If we trade with Dallas, pretty good chance we still are able to get Slater.  Trading down with Philly i’d say is 50/50 that Slater is still there, but Christian Darrisaw would definitely be available. 

Man...tonight is going to be fun to watch. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm on record not wanting a quarterback with the first pick, but there are some I could accept more than others.

Jones? You'd really have to talk to me into that one.

Look, most of  the knocks against him deal with his athleticism. Personally, I don't think it's what they are making of it. He can throw, he can process the game, he wins. Hell, I'd be happy with Len Dawson smoking a cigarette and drinking a Fresca at the half-time of the Super Bowl kind of guy.

Just as long as he wins. And I think he can.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, ericr0319 said:

Carolina trades w/ Washington after Lance slips and Detroit takes Sewell. 

We trade the #8 for the #19, #51, and 2022 1st round.

We end up selecting. Christian Darrisaw. 

We now have 2 picks in the 1st round next year and prepare next offseason to trade for an unhappy Aaron Rodgers.

Lol Aaron Rodgers isn’t coming to Carolina 

36 minutes ago, rayzor said:

We get "stuck" at 8 and get "stuck" with either horn or surtain. Not what I want, but I'm not going to cry over getting stuck with an elite cb or any other elite prospect we can get in the top half of the draft.

Please no to Horn. How much better are his hands going to get as a pro? 30 games played, 2 INTs in one game. 29 games of no INTs gives me pause. That’s a ton of football where you would like a guy in the top ten at the position to be a bit of a ball hawk.