• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

S Fowler’s take Panthers had to dump Teddy Bridgewater, but will Sam Darnold really be any better?

raleigh-panther

14 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I don’t care about other teams attempts to win 

Some coaches are smart enough to know what to do when they are in the QB lottery and some are not

playing WFT, you start Grier and your bench to ‘take a look at your starters’ and you ‘really really want to win, but you don’t 

start with that. Pro teams have been doing that for decades 

there are regular draft picks but in the modern era, QBs matter.  

Fowler  addresses the rest of it.  Brady’s red zone offensive play calls weren’t sterling either.  

Please just sell your PSLs already and spare us.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

There are no answers, folks.  There is no guaranteed success story, and we have this thing called a cap.  If you think a new environment and weapons will save Darnold, then you go all out doing that.  You build a stud OL, you give him 3 "take it to the house" WRs.  Then you know.

We had Cam--Panthernation rejoiced.  But we had Benjamin and Funchess and an OL that could not stop a 3rd grade girl in a play ground game of Red Rover.  He won---every other year---and they watched him take a beating.   Knowing that, would you have wanted Cam as badly as you did?   Knowing he was going to be sacrificed by an inept GM and a win-at-all-costs coach?

Folks, nobody knows how good Darnold is going to be-and how many college QBs do you see that look like All Americans in college bust in the NFL?  There is no right answer, and if you are pretending to know the correct path, you need to fill out an application on Mint Street.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

I am so sick of the “raw deal” excuse for Teddy. 
So what, that he did my have CMC. If he was any good he would have rose above losing him. 
Teddy has plenty of chances to show he can elevate the team and he failed all 8 times. 
Darnold will likely suck, but he’s potential ceiling is way higher than Teddy Treadwater. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

You are what your record says. 0-8 was coincidentally a similar record that was flouted regularly for the guy before Teddy as a reason why he was washed. Sam will be held to the same standard. There were no tears shed for guys like Eric Reid when the team moved on so why should this be any different? I wish Bridgewater luck with the rest of his career. He now has a very nice financial cushion for only a year worth of employment and has a new team. In the years to come career wise he will be able to take whichever path he chooses. That is a luxury many players never acquire.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I've said all along that Teddy wasnt that bad.  He had a crappy oline and no cmac.  I still wish Tepper would have not said anything and we could have just kept him this year as a backup. 

Crappy O-line and no CMC are valid, BUT he was also the only QB in the league with three 1,000 yd WR's. Still went 0-8 in games where we had the ball with a chance to win at the end.

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

how did the panthers screw up their chance to get a qb

other teams out maneuvered them, they got outbid for Stafford, and Watson has some....issues

like other teams try to win too

Yep. We have legitimately done all we can to improve at QB and we aren't done. Either we draft another one or we improve the OL which helps QB. 

It all depends on how things fall in the draft and we can't control that. That's been the story so far. We do the best with the choices we've got.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Teddy was Mr. Anti-clutch.  He had his chances (8) when the game was on the line.  TB failed to deliver every time.  

Whoever came up with the saying "Nice guys finish last." must have been thinking of Teddy when they said it.

Good descriptor. He was competent and relatively mistake free...but he was that because he didn't take any risks. He was a safe play because he played it safe.

In some cases people will tap the brakes to keep from getting too crazy. The biggest problem with Teddy... I don't think there was a crazy gear to avoid. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Yep. We have legitimately done all we can to improve at QB and we aren't done. Either we draft another one or we improve the OL which helps QB. 

Like the Panthers were probably going to make the biggest trade in NFL history to get deshaun before it came out he likes to sexually harass masseuses 

people think poo is like madden where the other 31 teams just exist for you to work off. 

• Pie 2

Is Darnold better than Bridgewater? Who knows, probably not?

But I do know that a Darnold-lead team will be less likely to to be middling like Teddy. He'll blow up and put up stats or he will bomb out and net the Panthers a top 5 pick in 2022 to draft Howell/Rattler/etc. in next years draft.

For me, that is more preferable to a destiny of 6-11 - 8-9 with Teddy next season. 

Edited by Dilla
  • Beer 1

The overall, general mistake the panthers made was the huge contract they gave Teddy, not signing him in the first place. It was obvious Rhule, Brady, and Tepper did not want to keep Cam, with his injury concerns. I hoped they'd give him a chance because their weren't any other solid options that I remember (especially not on the roster), but they cut bait. 

Enter Teddy who was 5-0 with the saints in relief of Drew (and who didn't throw 30 Interceptions like JW, and wasn't old like AD or Fitz). Teddy who everyone says works hard and is a real competitor. A guy that Joe Brady (a rookie OC) had experience with. A former #1 pick and a guy who had lost a starting gig due to a horrible injury and had battled back to be in position to possibly take over for Bree's after he retired.

Imagine if we'd have kept Cam and brought in Teddy as a backup and insurance at a Greatly reduced contract, or if we signed Teddy to a One year prove it deal- with an option for an extension if he was indeed proving it after mid season.

Hindsight is amazing. Hopefully its something our current FO can also learn from.

• Pie 1