• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 - Carolina Panthers Select CB Jaycee Horn

Zod

35 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Yes because all great franchises turned their losing teams around with a first round corner 

Fun fact. 

On average, Horn gave up a TD this year every 7th time he was targeted.  Think Surtain gave up a TD every 24th time he was targeted. 

12 hours ago, CRA said:

Fun fact. 

On average, Horn gave up a TD this year every 7th time he was targeted.  Think Surtain gave up a TD every 24th time he was targeted. 

Yes, that definitely means Surtain is better. Thanks for the hard hitting analysis.

I wanted Fields, but Horn is going to be a superstar.

Can only hope he turns out awesome.  It seems like we thought he fit our scheme better than Surtain.

If we (a) didn't like Slater and (b) They wanted to commit to Darnold over Fields, then he was a clear option.

Ima root for the guy but kinda wished we landed Slater or Fields.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, davos said:

Can only hope he turns out awesome.  It seems like we thought he fit our scheme better than Surtain.

If we (a) didn't like Slater and (b) They wanted to commit to Darnold over Fields, then he was a clear option.

Ima root for the guy but kinda wished we landed Slater or Fields.

Horn is more Trey Lance.  Surtain is more Mac Jones.   That’s my overall point.   

Horn has the ceiling and talent.  But he wasn’t very consistent and his game needs a lot more work vs the other two DBs.    

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

Horn is more Trey Lance.  Surtain is more Mac Jones.   That’s my overall point.   

Horn has the ceiling and talent.  But he wasn’t very consistent and his game needs a lot more work vs the other two DBs.    

wasnt consistent? he had the lowest qb completion % of the top CBs last year

30 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

wasnt consistent? he had the lowest qb completion % of the top CBs last year

Again; on average, every 7th time you tried him....resulted in a touchdown in 2020.   

Now compare that to the rate of Surtain in 2020 and Farley in 2019.  They gave up a TD on average of every 24th and 25th the time the ball came there way.  In fact, comparing everyone’s final season...Horn gave up more TDs than both Surtain and Farley combined on less targets

That’s a really high rate based on the action he got.    

He likes to maul WRs.  When he can do that....it is tough to to complete passes on him.    It’s why he was the best press man DB in the draft.   Gamecocks couldn’t  do that with him all game....just like we can’t.   That’s where the inconsistency is....when he can’t go man coverage and get up on a body.    

just because Trey Lance has stuff to work on doesn’t mean it won’t get it done.  Same with Horn.    I wouldn’t of wanted Lance at 8.  Same reasons.

But if you take a guy at 8....it’s only far to talk about his complete game and what we want to see him improve on.  I’m sure he will.  Uber talented.  DNA you want.   But I don’t think it is fair to him with all this talk he is going to step on the field and be Luke level ready as a rookie day 1 and have that impact.  DB is much harder.  

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Again; on average, every 7th time you tried him....resulted in a touchdown in 2020.   

Now compare that to the rate of Surtain in 2020 and Farley in 2019.  They gave up a TD on average of every 24th and 25th the time the ball came there way.  In fact, comparing everyone’s final season...Horn gave up more TDs than both Surtain and Farley combined on less targets

He likes to maul WRs.  When he can do that....it is tough to to complete passes on him.    It’s why he was the best press man DB in the draft.   Gamecocks couldn’t  do that with him all game....just like we can’t.   That’s where the inconsistency is....when he can’t go man coverage and get up on a body.    

just because Trey Lance has stuff to work on doesn’t mean it won’t get it done.  Same with Horn.    I wouldn’t of wanted Lance at 8.  Same reasons.

But if you take a guy at 8....it’s only far to talk about his complete game and what we want to see him improve on.  I’m sure he will.  Uber talented.  DNA you want.   But I don’t think it is fair to him with all this talk he is going to step on the field and be Luke level ready as a rookie day 1 and have that impact.  DB is much harder.  

Teams also targeted Horn way, way less than the other two

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, amcoolio said:

This. Surtain and Farley had a much bigger sample size because teams weren’t as afraid to throw at them. They’re both really good, but I want the guy that makes the OC and QB look for other options. I believe we got that. 

2 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Surtain averaged 3.6 targets per game

Horn averaged 3.4 targets per game 

Farley averaged 4.5 targets per game

Horn had noticeably less total targets on the year because he quit after the Ole Miss game.   Surtain played a full season + the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Just admit you have more of a problem with the name on the front of his college jersey than the one on the back and that's what clouds your judgement. The "I'm just being objective" shtick is pretty lame, but I guess I shouldn't expect less from a guy who moderates a forum for free and has 50k posts.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, backtobackwinningseasons said:

Just admit you have more of a problem with the name on the front of his college jersey than the one on the back and that's what clouds your judgement. The "I'm just being objective" shtick is pretty lame, but I guess I shouldn't expect less from a guy who moderates a forum for free and has 50k posts.

Yeah, I’m way too old to just start throwing insults...because someone doesn’t have the same opinion on a football pick as me lol  

My family is full of Gamecocks.  Got family and friends that played there.  I go to games when they ain’t playing Clemson.  

Life ain’t that serious.  

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

Surtain averaged 3.6 targets per game

Horn averaged 3.4 targets per game 

Farley averaged 4.5 targets per game

Horn had noticeably less total targets on the year because he quit after the Ole Miss game.   Surtain played a full season + the playoffs.  

Isn't what you said contradictory? If he quit after the Ole Miss game, wouldn't he have more targets because he would just be going through the motions.

Alabama also had elite talent at every position on the field on defense. South Carolina... Pretty much had 10 bums and Horn on the field. It is a lot easier to put up elite numbers and not get exposed when you have a dominant defense around you.

Not saying Surtain isn't good, but Horn definitely has the highest potential to be a shutdown corner