• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 - Carolina Panthers Select CB Jaycee Horn

Zod

18 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Isn't what you said contradictory? If he quit after the Ole Miss game, wouldn't he have more targets because he would just be going through the motions.

Alabama also had elite talent at every position on the field on defense. South Carolina... Pretty much had 10 bums and Horn on the field. It is a lot easier to put up elite numbers and not get exposed when you have a dominant defense around you.

Not saying Surtain isn't good, but Horn definitely has the highest potential to be a shutdown corner

He literally quit and opted out after the Ole Miss game.   He didn’t figuratively quit. 

and I don’t and didn’t knock him for it.  It was the right call.  I support kids making business decisions like that.   He would have pointlessly been risking injury.   

He only played in 7 games vs Surtain who played in 13 games.  Surtain was targeted more because he played in almost double the games.   But they averaged about the same number of targets per game when they played. 

I agree Horn has the highest ceiling.  I like him.    It’s a weird convo about using the 8 spot that keeps being pulled into something it isn’t intended to be. 

I think it was solid.  This defense going to wreck havoc. Jackson (please stay healthy), Horn, Brown, YGM, Burns, Reddick, Chinn, and if Shaq can step up this year. Top 5 defense. Offensively,  I think we did a solid job on addressing the line. The Alabama pick gives us a solid big guard. We have given darnold weapons and out of the 3 Anderson Moore or Marshall we should have a quality WR group that should work. With CMC back I think it opens up everything. We should be his next year with tons of potential and promise. But 2022-2023 season we will be a absolutely nightmare to any team. 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, CRA said:

Yeah, I’m way too old to just start throwing insults...because someone doesn’t have the same opinion on a football pick as me lol  

My family is full of Gamecocks.  Got family and friends that played there.  I go to games when they ain’t playing Clemson.  

Life ain’t that serious.  

So obviously you know that the Gamecocks had absolutely no pass rush.  Amongst the nations worst.  QBs sat in the pocket all day.  As we all know, it’s extremely difficult as a Corner to have to defend a WR while the QB has all day to throw.  Since you’re throwing out all these stats, did you bother comparing that pass rush to what Surtain’s DL did for him?  Or would that have hurt your argument too much?

17 minutes ago, mcsmoak said:

So obviously you know that the Gamecocks had absolutely no pass rush.  Amongst the nations worst.  QBs sat in the pocket all day.  As we all know, it’s extremely difficult as a Corner to have to defend a WR while the QB has all day to throw.  Since you’re throwing out all these stats, did you bother comparing that pass rush to what Surtain’s DL did for him?  Or would that have hurt your argument too much?

I mean, if you have read my thoughts on Horn....then you know I have discussed the shitty situation he was in and defended him opting out after the Ole Miss game. 

If you think Horn is a better present day corner than Surtain and Farley (if he were healthy)....have at it.  Draft weekend is over.   I think we drafted him because his ceiling and attitude gave him a bump up and over those two.     

My preference is always pure BPA in the top 10.  Which meant you didn't pick any of the corners.  You don't have to have my preference. 

• Pie 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:33 PM, pantherj said:

Horn's numbers improved in his final season is college. I was wondering why the jump? It's because he started grabbing receivers and the refs let it go. In the NFL the flags will fly. He needs to stop that.

the legion of boom made their mark by doing this.

playing physical but not completely crossing the line and breaking the rules.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:25 PM, backtobackwinningseasons said:

Just admit you have more of a problem with the name on the front of his college jersey than the one on the back and that's what clouds your judgement. The "I'm just being objective" shtick is pretty lame, but I guess I shouldn't expect less from a guy who moderates a forum for free and has 50k posts.

Seriously.

And he keeps saying that Jaycee “quit” when in reality the kids whole family was going through some pretty serious Covid sh!t... “Quit” smfh. 

15:40 mark.

43 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Seriously.

And he keeps saying that Jaycee “quit” when in reality the kids whole family was going through some pretty serious Covid sh!t... “Quit” smfh. 

15:40 mark.

What was the context of bringing up him opting out? 

the context was explaining to someone why Surtain despite having more targets on the year....was actually targeted the same amount per game.  Surtain played 13 total games.  Horn played 7.  

and since it had to be brought up, I made sure to note that it wasn’t a knock on Jaycee.

* the person I was talking to was admittedly unaware of it.

I also noted pre-draft I would love Horn....the issue was just taking him at 8 for me given who would be there.   Again my preference is BPA in the top 10.  You can have a different one.   Everyone is bragging about  Daniel Jermemiah's top 150.  He had Horn as the 14th BPA in the draft. Fields, Smith, Surtain and others were there at the pick.   Which backs the preference I had at the time. 

as stated, I get why they made the Horn move.  Which was ceiling and attitude/edge (that he wants to inject).