• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Jaycee Horn - Why he is the best fit

Zod

47 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

It's just such an underwhelming choice. It would be a lot easier to get excited about if he was a ballhawk or his scouting reports didn't talk about him getting burned by speed receivers and having issues with penalties. I guess I just don't see why they're so high on the guy.

Horn wasn't a ball hawk because guys didn't throw at him. It was like 2015 Josh Norman. He made the few cocky guys who tested him pay and then QBs basically stopped challenging him.

And he was a dominant player on an otherwise bad Gamecocks defense.

He was covering guys for 4-5 seconds man-to-man. That bodes well for what is hopefully a potent pass rush

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Horn wasn't a ball hawk because guys didn't throw at him. It was like 2015 Josh Norman. He made the few cocky guys who tested him pay and then QBs basically stopped challenging him.

And he was a dominant player on an otherwise bad Gamecocks defense.

He was covering guys for 4-5 seconds man-to-man. That bodes well for what is hopefully a potent pass rush

Thanks for actually giving some insight instead of just saying "look at the tape" like most people are.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, t96 said:

This can only happen if Fields winds up not being a franchise QB. If he's a franchise QB (which there's a pretty damn solid chance of) then even if Horn becomes the best CB in the league it would've been dumb to pass up Fields. 

I’ll always believe Fields could’ve been really special here. For what it’s worth I think we got the corner in the draft. 

32 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Jaycee Horn is not that big corner, damn.  He is an average player with average size,  Fug

any corner that is 6' 195+ is considered a big corner. The average heigh of an NFL defensive back in 2020 is 5'10 180 pounds. Thats a pretty big difference in size. 

Jaycee Horn 
6'1 205

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, t96 said:

This can only happen if Fields winds up not being a franchise QB. If he's a franchise QB (which there's a pretty damn solid chance of) then even if Horn becomes the best CB in the league it would've been dumb to pass up Fields. 

I dont fully disagree, but couldnt this be said of any non-QB? Even Aaron Donald isnt as valueable as a franchise QB, and hopefully Rhule and company know that, which leads me to believe that they feel confident he wont be a fran CB. I guess we will see. I suspect their thinking was:

Sam Darnold (potential, but less likely to be Franchise QB AND Jaycee Horn (potential shut down corner) >>>>> Fields (Potential Franchise QB)

We shall see.

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

I really want to know why they didn’t like Fields. 

Obviously they weren’t alone, so what is his deal?

Haven't seen where they've said anything too specific about Fields, and they might not.

The closest I've seen to any explanation was Bill Voth saying that from what he saw, the braintrust was "never really gaga" over him.

They did seem to indicate that they like Darnold better when asked, so it could just be as simple as that.

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

Huddlers said Luke pick was stupid.  Huddlers said CMC pick was stupid.  Huddlers say Horn pick is stupid.  

Man, there are just so many drones/whiners on this site that don't know squat, bet every one of them were high school third team.

• Poo 1

11 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Huddlers also said the Armanti Edwards, Vernon Butler, and three corners in a row were stupid. 

We did get Bradberry though. The mistake was not getting vets to start and working rookies into the rotation instead of throwing them to the wolves day 1.