• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Jaycee Horn - Why he is the best fit

Zod

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

Huddlers said Luke pick was stupid.  Huddlers said CMC pick was stupid.  Huddlers say Horn pick is stupid.  

The picks were not stupid but what does the franchise have to show for it? The Panthers had two bookends drafted within a year of each other in Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly and what did it get them? One Super Bowl loss and no consecutive winning seasons while Luke retired at 28. How many winning seasons have the Panthers had with Christian McCaffrey?  Eventually some of you are going to have to grapple with tough truths if Sam Darnold does not become the quarterback the staff is banking on after the disastrous one year rental of Teddy Bridgewater whom they handpicked. Winning cures all but losing only builds contempt. 2021 is make or break for quite a few people with the Panthers.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

The picks were not stupid but what does the franchise have to show for it? The Panthers had two bookends drafted within a year of each other in Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly and what did it get them? One Super Bowl loss and no consecutive winning seasons while Luke retired at 28. How many winning seasons have the Panthers had with Christian McCaffrey?  Eventually some of you are going to have to grapple with tough truths if Sam Darnold does not become the quarterback the staff is banking on after the disastrous one year rental of Teddy Bridgewater whom they handpicked. Winning cures all but losing only builds contempt. 2021 is make or break for quite a few people with the Panthers.

Yeah, but what if they start winning anyway. You know break the mold of needing a high level quarterback to consistently compete. Instead they could build an elite defense, and force the other team to score negative points.

8 hours ago, Zod said:

Stick that guys brain in a pigeon and it will fly backwards............

Big receivers a problem?

That's like 8 or 9 down on the priority list of building a winning football team.......

If this guy was a general contractor building a home he'd have the guys come in with the hardwood floors for the upstairs bedrooms to install when they haven't even finished laying the foundation blocks for the basement.

Foundation blocks = Offensive line talent and depth.................end of story.

Clueless...........

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Haven't seen where they've said anything too specific about Fields, and they might not.

The closest I've seen to any explanation was Bill Voth saying that from what he saw, the braintrust was "never really gaga" over him.

They did seem to indicate that they like Darnold better when asked, so it could just be as simple as that.

Rhule and Fitts decline to comment on Fields. I don’t think they ever will. 

We’ll see if it was a mistake soon enough. The fact that Fields went to Chicago may save everyone. They’re more likely to ruin a QB than dev one.

2 hours ago, PghPanther said:

Stick that guys brain in a pigeon and it will fly backwards............

Big receivers a problem?

That's like 8 or 9 down on the priority list of building a winning football team.......

If this guy was a general contractor building a home he'd have the guys come in with the hardwood floors for the upstairs bedrooms to install when they haven't even finished laying the foundation blocks for the basement.

Foundation blocks = Offensive line talent and depth.................end of story.

Clueless...........

Yep, this isnt a hard concept. 

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Rhule and Fitts decline to comment on Fields. I don’t think they ever will. 

We’ll see if it was a mistake soon enough. The fact that Fields went to Chicago may save everyone. They’re more likely to ruin a QB than dev one.

I don't expect them to address it directly, but information does sometimes seep out later (often much later). They did talk about Darnold and indicated they believe in him.

Agree about Chicago, but at least so far they're indicating they won't throw him into the fire immediately. I think at least that's smart.

So, if player A we passed on turns out to be Jesus we suck and if the player we did pick isn't Jesus we suck.  Talk about not having a clue. It's incredibly difficult to win the NFL.  A lot has to go right along with some luck.  Very, very few teams have been able to carry long term success at a very high level. 

The Panthers are a great team to be a fan of and if taking a CB at 8 is your breaking point then you need a lot more help than football can provide. 

I don't see Fields as having any more break out stud potential than Darnold.  I'd much rather go all in on one.  If they thought Fields was a much better option and had taken him and traded Darnold, fine but you're not going to trade Darnold for a anything as valuable as the #8 pick.

We've got a young potential star at QB just like if we'd drafted him in the top 10.

We seem to be in the process of building a stud defense and as a Panther fan I'm really excited to see what having a great CB is like.  We've had some average to a few really good CB but never a really elite one.  Gamble is probably the best we ever had.  We are one FS aways from being scary, scary good.

We have a coaching staff that is really good.  We had no business being in as many games last year as we were.  We overachieved for the talent we had after losing Cam, Luke, Olsen, CMC, etc.

I am excited about the future.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, frankw said:

You mean to tell me we had Cam and also didn't record back to back winning seasons? As in, having a top 5 QB also doesn't promise consistent success and you need to build a team? Right. That's also what I have been saying. If Horn was rated higher than Fields on their board then its a good pick. Because even with Cam in his prime we still weren't able to accomplish back to back winning seasons. And he was a top 5 QB in the league at that time.