• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading the Panthers first-round pick of Jaycee Horn

Just now, Snake said:

Patrick Surtain ll

What do like about Surtain’s game more than Horn’s?

Keep in mind that Horn always shadowed the other days best playmaker no matter where he lined up. Surtain only moved to the right side on the defense this season once Trevon Diggs left. 

It just shows they had Mac and Fields graded below Darnold and weren’t high on Slater. Horn is a fine pick and hopefully he will show you this year with Burns, Brown, Reddick, YGM, Chinn, and Jackson. We have infused this defense with talent and they are going to be fun to watch! I mean our only weakness is what Franklin/Burris at FS which isn’t really terrible... I’m excited to see how the rest of the draft shakes out for us!

It's been interesting to see and read all of the responses from twitter, here, the networks, etc.

But listening to the coach and GM, this is what they decided.  It may not be the sexy pick of a QB, but it's a pick that makes the team better.  We had a plethora of issues in 2020 on defense.  One of the worst was 3rd downs, which Horn should immediately help remedy.

There are still plenty of players who can contribute on the board, so to speak.  I do think we break the defensive drafts today, but that's just a feeling.  Could be gas or other digestive issues.  I'd love to see an OT in round 2 and a WR in round 3.

10 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Keep in mind that Horn always shadowed the other days best playmaker no matter where he lined up. Surtain only moved to the right side on the defense this season once Trevon Diggs left. 

There's also a lot of scuttlebutt on the draft twittersphere that Saban ruins his DBs at Alabama for x number of reasons, plus fears that Surtain won't really be able to excel in the NFL.

Like his ceiling is....fine. Horn's ceiling is THERES NO CEILING HERE

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

There's also a lot of scuttlebutt on the draft twittersphere that Saban ruins his DBs at Alabama for x number of reasons, plus fears that Surtain won't really be able to excel in the NFL.

Like his ceiling is....fine. Horn's ceiling is THERES NO CEILING HERE

Horn will go stick to someone like Elijah Moore and then go bully Kyle Pitts...

Like you said, there is no ceiling with this kid 

14 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Pretty sure if we picked Surtain he would be saying Horn was the #1 cb.

• Beer 1
4 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Why? Because I think that finding a solid LT tomorrow is a very real possibility?

There has been talk for months how this draft has solid LT talent even into the 3rd round. Is there some reason to believe we are incapable of drafting one?

What if, heaven forbid, Rhule actually believes he has enough talent to field a solid Offensive line. And we don't draft one at all?

We added a top shelf talent. If we continue to do so, we are going to be alright.

I will post it later but finding a stud LT outside of the first round is crazy rare.  Like unicorn level poo

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Horn will go stick to someone like Elijah Moore and then go bully Kyle Pitts...

Like you said, there is no ceiling with this kid 

Elijah Moore had 200+ yards and multiple TDs vs the Gamecocks this year. 

I mean Horn is talented, but this narrative the Gameocks had him shadow the best players and he took them out isn’t true.  Not claiming you are making it but it was made in this thread. 

Ole Miss, LSU, Tenn, FL, etc....their number 1 threats all had strong performances against the Gamecocks.   Horn was never tasked by Carolina to lock on to one player and take anyone out.  

You could argue he should of been tasked with it....but it’s hard to task a DB to do that given you get forced to play so much zone coverage.   

I guess the one big pro for him is that given Brady and Ryan are in the division we can hopefully transition to more man looks vs the immobile QBs. 

6 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

They didn't reach for a QB with bad throwing mechanics. Then drafted the best press CB in the draft.

Damm good first day for our new GM.

image.gif.b49960ee5a99c4f5b1b32c66c1979ed7.gif

• Beer 1

My concern is this guy is going to be a penalty machine in his first year from everything I’ve read. He’s a rookie so he won’t get the leeway a legion of boom member might. I’m fine with the pick and hope he develops nicely. 

My other concern is he sounds like a boom or bust guy. 

There have been 4 all pro left tackles since 2014 that have not been drafted in the first round.  David Bakhtiari seems to be the unicorn as he is as consistent as you can get and he was picked in the fourth.  All but 3 were drafted in the first.  Odds are not in our favor

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Elijah Moore had 200+ yards and multiple TDs vs the Gamecocks this year. 

I mean Horn is talented, but this narrative the Gameocks had him shadow the best players and he took them out isn’t true.  Not claiming you are making it but it was made in this thread. 

Ole Miss, LSU, Tenn, FL, etc....their number 1 threats all had strong performances against the Gamecocks.   Horn was never tasked by Carolina to lock on to one player and take anyone out.  

You could argue he should of been tasked with it....but it’s hard to task a DB to do that given you get forced to play so much zone coverage.   

I guess the one big pro for him is that given Brady and Ryan are in the division we can hopefully transition to more man looks vs the immobile QBs. 

Ok maybe shadow the entire game was my bad but when he was matched up on these guys he did a very good job on them no?