• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading the Panthers first-round pick of Jaycee Horn

13 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Ok maybe shadow the entire game was my bad but when he was matched up on these guys he did a very good job on them no?

he defiantly does some good stuff.   

I like him in man press a lot.  I just question how much we can play that and if their were more impactful players for us at 8 given what we are.  Especially in the short term.  

I mean as good as he was and he was good....he didn’t do much good for the Gamecocks in the big picture.  Teams absolutely torched them all season.  

• Beer 1
11 minutes ago, CRA said:

he defiantly does some good stuff.   

I like him in man press a lot.  I just question how much we can play that and if their were more impactful players for us at 8 given what we are.  Especially in the short term.  

I mean as good as he was and he was good....he didn’t do much good for the Gamecocks in the big picture.  Teams absolutely torched them all season.  

It looks like his football IQ is through the roof though from the little tape I’ve seen. That’s a huge boon. 

Just now, AppHeel said:

I feel the opposite actually. I think the bust potential is super low.

He will be good.  But will he be night and day different from say someone like Kevin Joseph or Samuel or we could have gotten in the 2nd?  I think the drop off between tiers in corners are not as drastic as lineman.

defense is rarely a popular pick, but when teams in front of you get obsessed with the quarterback discussion it's a good opportunity to scoop up a franchise corner. think about what this does for our ability to be aggressive with our pass rushing talent. we have two of the fastest corners in the league that don't need a ton of over-the-top supervision/protection because they should be able to run with anyone in single coverage. horn has that steve smith fire to not just beat you but to beat you spiritually. he's long and strong and scrappy at the line in press coverage and that will disrupt a lot of the timing routes teams will want to run against our pocket collapsing pass rush. horn has unbelievable self-confidence and it's not fake. he's been around NFL talent since he was a child. 

when we moved chinn from linebacker to safety, my concern was that we weren't strong enough in coverage to send blitzes from the secondary without being vulnerable outside. this takes care of that to a large extent. we can now send chinn anywhere we want. he can play coverage, he can blitz from standing, he can pretend he's coming and disrupt assignments.... it just allows him to plausibly set from anywhere on the LOS and you can reasonably expect him to both drop into coverage and blitz from there. 

then you go into how good press can lead the quarterback to have the ball in his hands longer. you have derrick brown pushing inside and putting the center into his lap with gross-matos, reddick, and burns coming off the ends and chinn occasionally. that's a lot of places to expect pressure from and with guys who can get there exceptionally fast. in our division, we have Tom Brady and Matt Ryan. Jameis isn't without athleticism but he's a big body that doesn't want to be rolling out every passing down just to get away from our pass rush. those guys are all in serious trouble if their offensive lines spring a leak with that many hats to worry about. this man is the richard sherman of fitterer trying to recreate a similar dynamic to what the seahawks have tried to do defensively which is just to put eleven exceptional athletes on the field and move them fluidly around to create confusion. 

there are a lot of ways to get things done in this league and if you build the right team, the right quarterback will find you. if we get a reputation as a team with a lethal defense and weapons galore on offense but nothing at the quarterback position, there's going to be some veteran that will pull a Brady, Manning, and seemingly Rodgers as well at this point and come in to put you over the top. it's still incredibly possible that deshaun watson post-legal trouble is still that guy we want, but if we could strike gold with a reclamation project we might be just as well. for better or worse, our season belongs to darnold as the defense starts to take full shape. we're basically set on that side of the ball.

none of this at all even discussed what horn as an individual can bring, but just what putting a potentially elite corner on the field does to every other position. 

• Pie 1
5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He will be good.  But will he be night and day different from say someone like Kevin Joseph or Samuel or we could have gotten in the 2nd?  I think the drop off between tiers in corners are not as drastic as lineman.

I'd actually disagree on this as well. This tackle class is much deeper than Corner imo. Plus given the amount of talent at WR in this division, the margin for error in talent gap we have at CB right now is razor thin. We need the best we can get.

We all like James Bradberry. He held his own in this division but look at how good he became once he went to a division with less WR talent. His value skyrocketed. We need an elite player at this position and Horn has a chance to be elite.

Just now, AppHeel said:

I'd actually disagree on this as well. This tackle class is much deeper than Corner imo. Plus given the amount of talent at WR in this division, the margin for error in talent gap we have at CB right now is razor thin. We need the best we can get.

We all like James Bradberry. He held his own in this division but look at how good he became once he went to a division with less WR talent. His value skyrocketed. We need an elite player at this position and Horn has a chance to be elite.

The next tier of tackles all have big concerns. 

6 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Here is why it doesn’t make sense.  If you aren’t all in on Darnold (and he didn’t play well in NFL so you shouldn’t be) then you draft best QB.   If you are all in on Darnold then you draft best OL given how he plays with suspect OL.

Panthers did neither and didn’t even trade down for QB desperate teams.

We could of traded back and still picked Fields. Darnold better fugging ball this year.

• Flames 1
1 minute ago, AppHeel said:

As do the next tier at every position group

Sure, but IMO the gap is closer with the corners.  Samuel is going to be an animal in the NFL as will Joseph.  The other tackles are not coming in and starting right away.