• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading the Panthers first-round pick of Jaycee Horn

“Competitive make up”

”athletic, family pedigree”

”jumped out on film”

They mention donte on the other side so I guess he’s not going in the slot?  We’ll see.  Eh.  I still would’ve rather had Fields but it’s not like we drafted another RB.  We did really need a CB and he has the ability to be a total stud 

edit- also, “AJ Booey” lol.  From the way Fitterer sounded I think it would’ve been Sewell if he was still there, but Horn was just the highest rated guy we had left on the board 

Edited by PandaMan
  • Pie 1

42 minutes ago, Snake said:

I have to agree. We picked the second best CB and let Fields go as well. Not a great start for our new GM IMO.

They didn't reach for a QB with bad throwing mechanics. Then drafted the best press CB in the draft.

Damm good first day for our new GM.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Here is why it doesn’t make sense.  If you aren’t all in on Darnold (and he didn’t play well in NFL so you shouldn’t be) then you draft best QB.   If you are all in on Darnold then you draft best OL given how he plays with suspect OL.

Panthers did neither and didn’t even trade down for QB desperate teams.

Edited by GoPanthers123
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Here is why it doesn’t make sense.  If you aren’t all in on Darnold (and he didn’t play well in NFL so you shouldn’t be) then you draft best QB.   If you are all in on Darnold then you draft best OL given how he plays with suspect OL.

Panthers did neither and didn’t even trade down for QB desperate teams.

Here's the thing. We didn't get Sewel. Nobody knows where they had that 2nd Tackle slotted. They obviously had Horn rated higher than the next Tackle. 

We can still get a strong LT tomorrow. We were probably not going to get a top shelf CB in round 2. So they took the best one at their pick.

As for the trade down. It takes two to tango, and we may never know for sure if there were even any teams asking.

• Pie 2

Maybe they just loved Horn more then anyone else left on their draft board after Sewell was picked and didn't get a good enough offer from teams to make a deal and risk losing both Horn and Surtain...

Then when teams shred our secondary I get to again read about people whining about not having a good secondary knowing the offenses in our division.

12 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Here's the thing. We didn't get Sewel. Nobody knows where they had that 2nd Tackle slotted. They obviously had Horn rated higher than the next Tackle. 

We can still get a strong LT tomorrow. We were probably not going to get a top shelf CB in round 2. So they took the best one at their pick.

As for the trade down. It takes two to tango, and we may never know for sure if there were even any teams asking.

I am not sure you are aware how rare finding a good NFL LT is. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not sure you are aware how rare finding a good NFL LT is. 

Why? Because I think that finding a solid LT tomorrow is a very real possibility?

There has been talk for months how this draft has solid LT talent even into the 3rd round. Is there some reason to believe we are incapable of drafting one?

What if, heaven forbid, Rhule actually believes he has enough talent to field a solid Offensive line. And we don't draft one at all?

We added a top shelf talent. If we continue to do so, we are going to be alright.