• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Fields Perspective

tukafan21

Look, frankly I'm not exactly thrilled with Horn, at least not at 8, I'm fine with the player, but wished we would have traded down to get a CB.  If we stayed at #8, I wanted Sewell or Slater, period.

But having said that, those complaining about passing on Fields have to look at this..........

The team who just WANTED Teddy Two Gloves, and was known to still be targeting a QB if the right one fell to them in the draf, and one who has one of the best QB's of all time in their front office.... then passed on Fields.

So stop complaining, that alone says all you need to know about Fields as a prospect, and what our staff felt about him with Darnold on board.  

Which is why I've said a few times, I wanted Sewell, Slater, or a trade down, unfortunately none of those happened, but alas, it shows Fields wasn't what some on this board thought him to be, at least as a prospect, who knows how well he'll turn out in the end.

• Pie 4

36 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Either way, if they feel Lock, who is already a few years into his cheap rookie deal and hasn't shown all that much potential, is still better than Fields in their minds, then why would we really have wanted him ourselves?

Well plenty of teams passed on Pat Mahomes. Just because other teams make bad moves doesn't mean those decisions are sound.

It is all about the careers these guys make for themselves now. Horn could go down as a massive mistake/bust, a Perennial All-Pro or something in the middle. Same with Fields. Time will tell how good/bad bad move is. 

I am definitely not confident it was the right choice.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

The team who just WANTED Teddy Two Gloves, and was known to still be targeting a QB if the right one fell to them in the draf, and one who has one of the best QB's of all time in their front office.... then passed on Fields.

Or it could mean the team isn't good at evaluating QBs.  Rhule has built up a fair amount of trust capital with me over Year 1 with his personnel moves and coaching.  But that does not extend to QB exactly because of Teddy.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Firstly, Elway has sucked at evaluating QB talent so that is an awful point to try and make. Since Elway has been in Denver they have been one of the worst QB scouting teams in the entire NFL. 

Secondly, lots of teams passed on Tom Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, etc. Just because people passed on a guy doesn’t mean it was a great reason we should have. 

Even looking back to last season I’m sure if things continue to trend upwards for Herbert the Dolphins and the Bengals would wish they could go back and pick him over their current QB. 

Last, just because we passed on Fields on draft night does NOT mean he isn’t what some here thought of him. Believing because teams let him drop to 11 in the draft that he automatically isn’t the real deal before he takes a snap in the NFL is ridiculous. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, Varking said:

Firstly, Elway has sucked at evaluating QB talent so that is an awful point to try and make. Since Elway has been in Denver they have been one of the worst QB scouting teams in the entire NFL. 

Elway's not making the choices in Denver anymore. George Paton is.

Elway basically did what some here thought we might do with Marty and "promoted" himself out of the GM job.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Elway's not making the choices in Denver anymore. George Paton is.

Elway basically did what some here thought we might do with Marty and "promoted" himself out of the GM job.

I know but the OP was bringing up Elway as if this helps them evaluate QBs. 

Just now, Varking said:

I know but the OP was bringing up Elway as if this helps them evaluate QBs. 

Elway is terrible at evaluating QBs. Pretty much everybody agrees on that. Paton was part of the front office that brought Kirk Cousins to Minnesota.

At their presser, Paton said that after trading for Bridgewater, they no longer felt the need to draft a quarterback.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I know some people aren't happy that we chose Darnold over Fields, but imagine what we'd be saying if our braintrust stuck with Bridgewater.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Elway is terrible at evaluating QBs. Pretty much everybody agrees on that. Paton was part of the front office that brought Kirk Cousins to Minnesota.

At their presser, Paton said that after trading for Bridgewater, they no longer felt the need to draft a quarterback.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I know some people aren't happy that we chose Darnold over Fields, but imagine what we'd be saying if our braintrust stuck with Bridgewater.

I’m fine with passing on Fields if they believe in Darnold. I just would have liked them to show me they were going to go all in on Darnold then and given him offensive line help in rounds 1 and 2.

Just now, Varking said:

I’m fine with passing on Fields if they believe in Darnold. I just would have liked them to show me they were going to go all in on Darnold then and given him offensive line help in rounds 1 and 2.

I think they tried, but the Lions got the guy they wanted one damn pick ahead of us. And much as I love OL, I'm glad they stuck to their board rather than reaching for need.

They can still go O-line today of course.

• Pie 2