• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First Round Pick Grade

kungfoodude

#8 pick  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Number 8 overall pick grade

B

First let me say- Horn has tons of potential. If he works up to that then we really have a solid piece that will make the whole defense better, but..

It seems to me everything went the way we wanted it to (except Sewell being gone). We had the option to pick Fields, and I'm sure teams wanted to move up, so we could have traded back for extra picks right? 

I guess what Rhule and Fit wanted was Horn the whole time. Man i'd love to see that 1st Round board.

1 hour ago, Mother Grabber said:

how is a top level CB a boring pick? I've seen this a lot from people who wanted someone else, but a pick is one of the more "jump out of your seat" exciting plays in the the game and a pick-6 is just that much sweeter. even if you don't get a pick, locking down the receivers so that the front 7 can get a sack is almost as good. fast, aggressive defense is sexy as hell. bonerific.

TD and Sacks sells jerseys. Not so much pass deflections. Gamble vs DJ Moore or Brian Burns. Maybe not the best comp. because Gamble was an extremely boring player on and off the field but man I did love that dude.

But I agree and well see what the best CBs are getting in salaries CB is a sexy team pick but not so much in the eyes of the fans. 

4 minutes ago, klumme said:

TD and Sacks sells jerseys. Not so much pass deflections. Gamble vs DJ Moore or Brian Burns. Maybe not the best comp. because Gamble was an extremely boring player on and off the field but man I did love that dude.

But I agree and well see what the best CBs are getting in salaries CB is a sexy team pick but not so much in the eyes of the fans. 

If you surf back to the decision to get rid of Norman and Bradberry, you will see that our fans do care quite a bit about CB's.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If you surf back to the decision to get rid of Norman and Bradberry, you will see that our fans do care quite a bit about CB's.

If you surf back to any decision we makes, you will see that our fans piss and moan about anything 😉 But point taken. 

Just now, klumme said:

If you surf back to any decision we makes, you will see that our fans piss and moan about anything 😉 But point taken. 

Very few things that the bulk of the fanbase have bitched about have been wrong, in fairness. The one thing that is obvious is that when the Panthers go dumb, they go REAL dumb. 

I love the pick in looking at the prospect, team fit and need. We get CB1, our top ranked defensive player in an entire draft class. Slide him right in. A in that regard.

But, Fields and Jones were available and we passed, and will be tied to their success. If The Bears or Patriots just found their man for the next decade, and Darnold fizzes out, it’s a blunder no matter how you spin it. I hope it’s not the case. Jones isn’t really that impressive and I guess Fields has his mechanics concerns, but that’s something we won’t look past if either succeeds.

that pegs it down to a B/B+

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, davos said:

I love the pick in looking at the prospect, team fit and need. We get CB1, our top ranked defensive player in an entire draft class. Slide him right in. A in that regard.

But, Fields and Jones were available and we passed, and will be tied to their success. If The Bears or Patriots just found their man for the next decade, and Darnold fizzes out, it’s a blunder no matter how you spin it. I hope it’s not the case. Jones isn’t really that impressive and I guess Fields has his mechanics concerns, but that’s something we won’t look past if either succeeds.

that pegs it down to a B/B+

I am not a big Jones fan but that is a good point. If either he and/or Fields establish themselves as an upper tier NFL starter, it will be tough on the staff.

If Zod was right about Tepper wanting Fields.....I can see a scenario where he begins to be more aggressively involved if Fields ends up being a big star. That could be a disaster for us.

• Pie 1

I give it a C. I’m not against it but I felt if you wanted to change the trajectory of the franchise you go with a QB there with Fields or Jones still on the board. That would have been an A. 

B would have been doing something to upgrade the situation for Darnold on offense. Something like drafting an offensive lineman in rounds 1 and 2. 

This is the norm for Rhule though. Everywhere he has been the defense has been the reason they won games and the offense has always been an afterthought. So I give it a C for now. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

A+ 

Hard to argue when you select arguably the best cornerback in the draft and cornerback is a position of need.

Many will moan and give a lower grade because they wanted Fields or Slater. However, when push comes to shove Horn probably had a much higher grade and we went BPA.

Solid A. I wanted Slater, and was 50/50 between Horn & Surtain for best CB. Obviously Fitterer and Rhule know more than I do. After LT, CB was definitely our biggest need IMO.

39 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That is something that many don’t remember...losing those guys set us back big time

we had to upgrade our DBs and not in the 3rd round

I really like that we got him

and yes we still need OL....and LB...and safety