• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper wanted Fields. Let his guys make the football decisions

Zod

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

I don't think he did though.  A lot of people felt before the draft that the quality of DBs dropped off immensely after the 1st round, especially compared to OL and WR (so for example, if you needed both a CB and a WR, it makes more sense to go CB in the 1st and WR in the 2nd).  Probably a big reason why you saw 5 drafted in the 1st round.  Also why the Saints were trying to trade up, because they knew they would miss out on one.

Horn went about where he should have gone (top 15).  

It's not those were both mocked in the top 12 especially at 10 to the cowboys for Curtain. Each mock also clearly stated CB as a need for the Panthers.

24 minutes ago, Mage said:

I don't think he did though.  A lot of people felt before the draft that the quality of DBs dropped off immensely after the 1st round, especially compared to OL and WR (so for example, if you needed both a CB and a WR, it makes more sense to go CB in the 1st and WR in the 2nd).  Probably a big reason why you saw 5 drafted in the 1st round.  Also why the Saints were trying to trade up, because they knew they would miss out on one.

Horn went about where he should have gone (top 15).  

It depends on the team though IMO. 

Our roster is what it is.  I simply think their were more impactful positions based on who we are. 

Don't forget, 5 QBs went in the top half of the draft.  It is a QB league.   Until you get that right, nothing matters.  You simply got to buy lotto tickets to win the lottery.  And Fields fell to 8.  Which made it perfect.  You didn't have to waste capital to buy and scratch that ticket.   

This was a weird draft.  A QB with Fields resume and talent....normally ain't making it that far.  Which means if you are an 8-8ish team you got to spend a lot of capital to buy a good lotto ticket in the future. 

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

QBs win games and CBs help make good Ds. It's the right call by Tepper but it's also time to put this staff on the clock. Start winning or get better people.

I doubt Tepper gave him a 7-year contract and said 'you better win by year 2 or you're out of here'.  Does anyone remember what a poo show we were at the end of rivera's reign?  Its a miracle we won 5 games last year.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

It depends on the team though IMO. 

Our roster is what it is.  I simply think their were more impactful positions based on who we are. 

Don't forget, 5 QBs went in the top half of the draft.  It is a QB league.   Until you get that right, nothing matters.  You simply got to buy lotto tickets to win the lotter.  And Fields fell to 8.  Which made it perfect.  You didn't have to waste capital to buy and scratch that ticket.  

Yes, it is a QB league, but you can't throw darts at the position blindly.  If you don't like a prospect, then why take him? 

That is the problem with this debate.  You are saying they should have taken Fields presumably because you think he will succeed.  They did not take Fields because, presumably, they do not think he is likely to succeed.  

You could be right.  They could be right.  But we won't know until football is played.  Which is why IMO it is foolish (not calling you foolish - you're an amazing poster) to call it a bad pick because nobody really knows.  

I sound like a broken record but it bears repeating, we weren't the only team that wasn't high on Fields.  He wasn't even given a sliver of consideration at any of the top 3 picks.  The most desperate team in the NFL had to trade up and get him.  I think everyone is still stuck on this idea that Fields is some amazing, can't miss prospect... and don't get me wrong, if that is your evaluation of him, stick to that.  Always stick to your own evaluations.  My point is though it ain't like the Panthers were alone in that feeling.  We did the same thing a lot of other teams did.  We'll find out at some point if those teams were right or if they weren't.  And if we weren't, then heads will turn here eventually, I'm sure.  But as of now?  I think people are up in arms about the unknown.  

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

Yes, it is a QB league, but you can't throw darts at the position blindly.  If you don't like a prospect, then why take him? 

That is the problem with this debate.  You are saying they should have taken Fields presumably because you think he will succeed.  They did not take Fields because, presumably, they do not think he is likely to succeed.  

You could be right.  They could be right.  But we won't know until football is played.  Which is why IMO it is foolish (not calling you foolish - you're an amazing poster) to call it a bad pick because nobody really knows.  

I sound like a broken record but it bears repeating, we weren't the only team that wasn't high on Fields.  He wasn't even given a sliver of consideration at any of the top 3 picks.  The most desperate team in the NFL had to trade up and get him.  I think everyone is still stuck on this idea that Fields is some amazing, can't miss prospect... and don't get me wrong, if that is your evaluation of him, stick to that.  Always stick to your own evaluations.  My point is though it ain't like the Panthers were alone in that feeling.  We did the same thing a lot of other teams did.  We'll find out at some point if those teams were right or if they weren't.  And if we weren't, then heads will turn here eventually, I'm sure.  But as of now?  I think people are up in arms about the unknown.  

Them not drafting him didn't mean they didn't think he could succeed.   Could simply mean Horn was #1 and Fields as #2.  Which is how it sounds.  And the guy in charge pulled the trigger on his preferred #1. 

Guys you don't think can succeed aren't on your board. 

Sam Darnold had a higher grade than every QB in this draft except Lawrence. Not only has our FO said it but multiple draft “experts” have too. Darnold is 23 and came out of a bad situation. Even his existing FO has admitted to it. Hell they traded up to get a great OL prospect after the new QB and that speaks volumes. We didn’t go after Fields for numerous reasons. I for one am ok with that. Yes stepper wanted a Franchise QB to generate new interest but the football brain trust convinced him of better. Horn was always going to be the pick. Listen to the video of everyone talking to him in the phone, Rhule says “ I told you we were going to take you yesterday”. They knew how the draft would fall bad they were elated. This was clearly the guy and approved by all parties involved. So unless someone here is saying our owner, GM and coach are inept there was a reason this was 100% the guy if Sewel wasn’t there. Have confidence in the new regime. Even though Hurney was part of the draft last year. I can’t say I’m mad at Rhules choices last year. Brown looks to be the real deal, Chinn is better than Simmons that everyone wanted, YGM looks to be a good contributor, Pride has been solid and Roy has outperformed his draft position to name a few. Look guy patience is the key. We haven’t been in the league as long as 95% of the teams and we have had decent success. We haven’t given the new owner or GM a chance to put their stamp on things. TB was a Hurney signing trying to help Brady out in his first NFL stint, it didn’t work out and wasn’t Rhule or Fitterers guy, Darnold clearly is based on what they said about scouting him. Brett Farve was a gun slinger and looked pretty bad in Atlanta, he gets to GB and we all know the rest of the story. Give the ginger a chance we all might be pleasantly surprised. If not do whatever it take to get Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis or potentially Spencer Rattler if his turnover issues get even better this coming year. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Them not drafting him didn't mean they didn't think he could succeed.   Could simply mean Horn was #1 and Fields as #2.  Which is how it sounds.  And the guy in charge pulled the trigger on his preferred #1. 

Guys you don't think can succeed aren't on your board. 

Why do you think it sounds that way?

I got the impression that Rhule and Fitterer weren't all that interested in Fields.  

Regardless, I actually think we should have drafted Justin Fields.  LIS, I loved him as a prospect, so nothing I am saying is reflective of my personal opinion of him.  I would have loved to double-dip.  At the same time, too many people are coming to conclusions based on something we simply don't know.  It is like they haven't watched the NFL for more than 2 years.  This happens ALL the time.  A "great" prospect "falls out of nowhere," every fanbase gets mad at their FO for passing on them, and then said player... fails.  And as much as I like Fields, it isn't like the concerns aren't valid.  His field processing is very slow (by far the biggest concern).  He did play for a stacked team (the same criticism people throw at Mac Jones).  

That's all I'm saying.  I just don't believe in calling picks bad before the games are played, unless the pick was made at a position the team clearly didn't need (Shaq Thompson, Vernon Butler).  And cornerback has been a huge need for the Panthers forever.  

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I think Rhule is a fantastic coach and I'm desperate for him to succeed - but even I can't write off last year as a gimmie.

This is year 2 and he should be judged as such. 

I prefer to look at coach and GM as a combo.

I could see framing rules first year is kind of a "redshirt" year because he needed to adjust from college to the pros.

Fitterer doesn't have that sort of adjustment to make.

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

QBs win games and CBs help make good Ds. It's the right call by Tepper but it's also time to put this staff on the clock. Start winning or get better people.

Our staff that hasn't had an off season or played a single game together yet...? Lol ok...