• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

General Friday Draft Discussion - Rounds 2-3

Zod

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I liked Horn and was actually fine with Marshall especially when it seemed like a lot of OL talent was dropping. I don’t know enough about Christensen but others liked him. It just would have been nice to load up on the available OL.

Right now, just praying that somehow Meinerz, Hudson and Smith keep dropping.

I like Horn. Everything went downhill since then though but not as disastrous I initially thought. I don’t like the concept of drafting like we’re coming off a Super Bowl victory. But if it’s Fitts style..

fug it

Just now, Smittymoose said:

How much does a backup center play compared to a part-time TE? 

Funny, you like the dude, so he's automatically a starter. Meinerz would have pushed for a starting guard spot and then take over for Paradis next year.  But hey, he is a part-time player immediately, so that's a win!

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We typically carry 9-10 OL so two more would have been perfect. Out of that list, only Moton is a solid starter. Paradis improved a lot last year. That’s it. Daley can barely stay healthy and Miller and Scott are easily replaced. Elflein and Erving are big question marks who’ve played very poorly before. We are just hoping they play well.

Meinerz and Brown could have easily beaten out Miller, Scott and Daley and maybe cracked the starting lineup. Only Moton and Paradis have played well enough before to ensure their starting spots. You are way overvaluing the rest of the OL. They are JAGs.

The problem is that your expectation is unrealistic. Obviously they are committed to giving Erving and Elflein chances to be contributors. They wouldn't have bothered giving them multi-year contracts if that wasn't the case. I won't be surprised if they take another OL, probably in the 6th, but loading three guys in the 3rd was never, ever going to happen. Nor should it. 

1 hour ago, rico6 said:

The whole “people freaked over Luke” pick is the most revisionist claim on this site LOL.

idk where you’re going with Kalil

My point is we had Jon Beason when we took Luke and we had just signed Justin Hartwig the year before when we took Kalil.  J-Stew when we had D-Lo. 

You don't pass on good talent just because at that exact moment you don't "need" it.

Edited by Fan01
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Funny, you like the dude, so he's automatically a starter. Meinerz would have pushed for a starting guard spot and then take over for Paradis next year.  But hey, he is a part-time player immediately, so that's a win!

What? I said part-time TE, which is really the worst case scenario. As for Meinerz, that's counting on a lot for a guy to push for a starting job making a huge leap from D3 to the NFL. Maybe he pans out. He's definitely not worth getting upset over. 

This draft is a crap shoot more than it looks. I dont understand the excitement over picks. Outside of horn and Marshall  everything is questionable. We took a OT who dominated lower level competition, who knows what he will look like against all pro DEs and taking a utility TE over some good guards who flew right off the board.  Not labeling it a dud but everything remains to be seen till they are on the field.

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

What? I said part-time TE, which is really the worst case scenario. As for Meinerz, that's counting on a lot for a guy to push for a starting job making a huge leap from D3 to the NFL. Maybe he pans out. He's definitely not worth getting upset over. 

You obviously have not studied the guy.  He dominates.