• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Love Jaycee Horn and he was third on my board, but...

Proudiddy

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You could've saved yourself a lot of typing by simply saying, "I don't understand the concept of opportunity cost."

Lol come on dude.  I've always shown you respect on this forum and have said several times how highly I think of your posts/opinions.  So why resort to insulting me?

I understand what opportunity cost is.  But if we take Fields and he fails, then how exactly does that work out in our favor?  Yeah, of course if Fields turns into this amazing franchise QB, we missed out and sure, your "opportunity cost" argument applies.  But if he lasts 3-4 years as a starter before the Bears give up on him, then exactly what opportunity was lost?

Once again, this is why the debate is flawed.  Because we're debating something we won't know until the games are played.  The only difference is I'm just saying to exercise patience and that either side could be right, whereas you feel it necessary to tell me I don't understand a basic concept like opportunity cost.

At the end of the day I'm not looking to get into a Darnold/Fields debate with you.  My whole point was that suggesting using a 2nd round pick on someone constitutes "mortgaging the future" is wild logic.  It ain't much different than drafting a bust with a 2nd round pick.  

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's really not. Opportunity cost is real. We had the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB and we passed because we had Sam Darnold. That's placing a big bet on Darnold.

The other day when you were arguing for drafting Fields, you were telling me that what we traded for Darnold wasn't that big a deal and we could afford to lose out on it.

Now suddenly it's "mortgaging the future"?

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

We have to hope Darnold is who the staff and organization is advertising him to be, because if we had the chance to pick a dynamic, franchise QB and didn't, and Darnold ends up being a Bridgewater 2.0, there will be hell to pay.

Again, I love Jaycee as a player and had him as third on my meaningless personal big board.  So, I liked him, and wanted him, and he fit a need.  But, I also had Fields as my first option, and he was available at our pick, Sewell was gone, so Horn became the second option.

Now, if Darnold comes out here and plays like a beast, while Fitt has now put together his version of LOB East, no one will even blink.  

That is obviously the scenario I'm hoping for, but I really worry we passed up on a real franchise QB with a stopgap in place.  I really think them pushing all their chips in on Darnold will decide the fate of this staff.  If they got it right, they are secure and look like geniuses.  But, if they got it wrong, we passed up on a gamechanging QB with a top 10 pick this year, and will likely finish with a better record than 2020, even if Darnold is bad, which means we are picking further back in the draft...  and as the last few years have shown, it is becoming increasingly hard to land a franchise QB in the middle to later picks.  So, to be brief, if we weren't sure about Darnold, picking in the top 10 was our best bet to shore up the QB spot long-term.

Again, I love Horn, but considering this staff dumped a beloved franchise QB, that even if he didn't have a right arm, still would've been more productive than the guy they paid 24M to replace him with and publicly gushed over before realizing how wrong they were and trading him away after 1 year...  I'm just really concerned.

Taking Horn in and of itself is an A+ move in my book, and I love the idea that we just drafted a guy that will shutdown opposing 1s and take away a whole side of the field on his own...  but, as I said numerous times last season, you can get every other position on the field right, but if you get QB wrong, none of it will matter.  And after the chickenshit they tried to shovel down our throats as chicken salad last year at QB, I'm worried about the position, regardless of what else we've done.  The fact we waited to exercise Darnold's 5th year option until after passing on Fields in the first-round even seems indecisive on the organization's part in terms of their belief in Darnold. 

I very much appreciate the nuance of this post, and I would have to say for the most part I share your thinking.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The other day when you were arguing for drafting Fields, you were telling me that what we traded for Darnold wasn't that big a deal and we could afford to lose out on it.

Now suddenly it's "mortgaging the future"?

Panthers are placing their eggs in the Sam Darnold is the future basket. Which is just awful.

If the guy is nowhere near starter material you’ve essentially just washed your whole season.

And you lot swear how talent for QB can be had just about anywhere in the draft, right? A 2nd and 4th effectively leaves this team with like 3 draft picks next year. Yeah, that’s a mortgaged future if I ever saw one.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You realize we don't have the same front office as last year, right? 🤔

(apparently not)

Could’ve fooled me my mans. Panthers still doing Hurney tier bullshit  betting it all on journeymen QBs.

But we got a new F.O so NOTHING will be reminiscent of the old regimes filth. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You realize we don't have the same front office as last year, right? 🤔

(apparently not)

I know it has become en vogue to attribute that move to Hurney, probably because it makes it more palatable now that he's gone, and although we've never gotten a completely clear picture on that, last season Rhule and Brady went out of their way to tell anyone that would listen that Teddy was their guy who they targeted and brought in.

So, despite the FO changes, I am holding the coaching staff responsible for that.  TBH, in hindsight, I think Hurney had very little influence on the roster after Rhule was hired.

• Pie 1

We got a new GM in Jan. 

I think most of the FO still largely all carried over though. All the player personnel folks and everyone else.  Plus the same influence of Tepper/Rhule/Rhule's staff.

A lot of that FO braintrust is still very similar. 

Just now, Proudiddy said:

I know it has become en vogue to attribute that move to Hurney, probably because it makes it more palatable now that he's gone, and although we've never gotten a completely clear picture on that, last season Rhule and Brady went out of their way to tell anyone that would listen that Teddy was their guy who they targeted and brought in.

So, despite the FO changes, I am holding the coaching staff responsible for that.  TBH, in hindsight, I think Hurney had very little influence on the roster after Rhule was hired.

You have but you just choose not to believe it because it doesn’t fit your narrative.