• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Love Jaycee Horn and he was third on my board, but...

Proudiddy

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm just really concerned about Darnold, and us waiting to exercise the 5th year option until after the first round, paired with their previous belief in Bridgewater...  it's hard for me to shake that cloud hovering over us with it being the most important position on a team.

Someone may have already pointed this out, but I think the reason for the wait was actually a smokescreen to encourage teams into thinking we still wanted a QB, when we were very unlikely to draft one.  If teams think we might go QB it raises the odds they try to move ahead of us for one,increasing the odds we get who we want.  Obviously thst didn't happen but there was no reason to move on the fifth year before we needed to.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rico6 said:

Panthers are placing their eggs in the Sam Darnold is the future basket. Which is just awful.

If the guy is nowhere near starter material you’ve essentially just washed your whole season.

And you lot swear how talent for QB can be had just about anywhere in the draft, right? A 2nd and 4th effectively leaves this team with like 3 draft picks next year. Yeah, that’s a mortgaged future if I ever saw one.

I liked Fields a lot but I don't assume the Panthers are totally done at QB yet.  I don't think they're going to ride with just this setof QBs.  But this is definitely another building year. 

I also would buy that Darnold with Brady could be better than Teddy was.  I highly doubt he's going to be elite, which is why I wanted Fields (higher ceiling imo)... but I think we will build a competitive team and then get our QB down the line.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I liked Fields a lot but I don't assume the Panthers are totally done at QB yet.  I don't think they're going to ride with just this setof QBs.  But this is definitely another building year. 

I also would buy that Darnold with Brady could be better than Teddy was.  I highly doubt he's going to be elite, which is why I wanted Fields (higher ceiling imo)... but I think we will build a competitive team and then get our QB down the line.

Hopefully we don’t waste draft capital on another Grier. Honestly, at this point I’d rather super invest into the D than reach for a mid round QB or 2-3 year project at LT. 

Now if the goal isn’t to compete this year, hell, grab all the QBs that you can

picking up that option was about as clear a “this is your team this year nod” as it gets

Edited by rico6
  • Pie 2

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Someone may have already pointed this out, but I think the reason for the wait was actually a smokescreen to encourage teams into thinking we still wanted a QB, when we were very unlikely to draft one.  If teams think we might go QB it raises the odds they try to move ahead of us for one,increasing the odds we get who we want.  Obviously thst didn't happen but there was no reason to move on the fifth year before we needed to.

Yeah, and thats a great angle I hadn't thought about of it's true.  I wonder if we really liked Lance and that was who they would consider of he had fell, or as you said, they weren't interested in a QB at all.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Because I'm hoping for the best but not a believer at all in Darnold, I still am holding out hope that maybe Howell slides a bit because of his size and we get a shot at him next draft.

• Pie 1

Just now, Proudiddy said:

Because I'm hoping for the best but not a believer at all in Darnold, I still am holding out hope that maybe Howell slides a bit because of his size and we get a shot at him next draft.

Agreed. I truly think that they believe Darnold was the man since he was signed and any other QB prospect we were linked to having interest was a smoke screen.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

We have to hope Darnold is who the staff and organization is advertising him to be, because if we had the chance to pick a dynamic, franchise QB and didn't, and Darnold ends up being a Bridgewater 2.0, there will be hell to pay.

Again, I love Jaycee as a player and had him as third on my meaningless personal big board.  So, I liked him, and wanted him, and he fit a need.  But, I also had Fields as my first option, and he was available at our pick, Sewell was gone, so Horn became the second option.

Now, if Darnold comes out here and plays like a beast, while Fitt has now put together his version of LOB East, no one will even blink.  

That is obviously the scenario I'm hoping for, but I really worry we passed up on a real franchise QB with a stopgap in place.  I really think them pushing all their chips in on Darnold will decide the fate of this staff.  If they got it right, they are secure and look like geniuses.  But, if they got it wrong, we passed up on a gamechanging QB with a top 10 pick this year, and will likely finish with a better record than 2020, even if Darnold is bad, which means we are picking further back in the draft...  and as the last few years have shown, it is becoming increasingly hard to land a franchise QB in the middle to later picks.  So, to be brief, if we weren't sure about Darnold, picking in the top 10 was our best bet to shore up the QB spot long-term.

Again, I love Horn, but considering this staff dumped a beloved franchise QB, that even if he didn't have a right arm, still would've been more productive than the guy they paid 24M to replace him with and publicly gushed over before realizing how wrong they were and trading him away after 1 year...  I'm just really concerned.

Taking Horn in and of itself is an A+ move in my book, and I love the idea that we just drafted a guy that will shutdown opposing 1s and take away a whole side of the field on his own...  but, as I said numerous times last season, you can get every other position on the field right, but if you get QB wrong, none of it will matter.  And after the chickenshit they tried to shovel down our throats as chicken salad last year at QB, I'm worried about the position, regardless of what else we've done.  The fact we waited to exercise Darnold's 5th year option until after passing on Fields in the first-round even seems indecisive on the organization's part in terms of their belief in Darnold. 

This article agrees with you 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/30/panthers-passing-justin-fields-fits-pattern-bad-moves-quarterback/?fbclid=IwAR3miR_aMxl1mj1q-_-qzqTbJJv_P__wK3cPke420nN-bqCVweLDchlmUJI

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

No doubt, they are playing an extremely high-stakes game at the most pivotal position league-wide.  You can't afford to get it wrong.  So, I hope they're right...  but, passing on a guy with a rocket arm, 4.4. 40, and a resume that includes huge games against top-level programs for a guy with a "good" arm and ok measurables just doesn't sit well with me.  But again, I hope they're right.

• Pie 4

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Given that he didn't fire Marty Hurney immediately, I'd have to say yes, he wanted them to work together.

Thankfully, he saw that wasn't going to work. Guys like Bridgewater and Greg Little probably played a big role in that.

My understanding is it would have been what we have now with Rhule and Fitterer so with that in mind they both came to the personnel decisions that were made last offseason together. Greg Little does very much sound like a Hurney pick so it seems he was given some leeway but qb is the most consequential factor so Rhule and Brady were undoubtedly advised and involved in the process. But now Fits and Rhule are linked to Darnold. I do not want to be right if it means another lost season so I am really hoping it works in our favor.

3 hours ago, Mage said:

And if Fields and Jones end up being busts?

Look, I get what you are saying and I'm not saying any of this directed at you, just in general because it is a common theme on this site lately.  But the draft is a crapshoot.  There are so many ways this could play out.  

1) Horn busts, Darnold succeeds, Fields succeeds

2) Horn succeeds, Darnold busts, Fields busts

3) Horn succeeds, Darnold busts, Fields busts

4) Horn busts, Darnold succeeds, Fields busts

So on and so forth.

It isn't like we're the only team that passed on Fields.  And look, I LIKE Fields, but I also think it is telling that it was the team that was BY FAR the most desperate in the NFL that traded up for Fields.  NFL teams were clearly a lot more down on Fields than fans/analysts were, and that should speak volumes. 

People said the same thing about Haskins and how he fell and how the Giants screwed up.  And yeah, Daniel Jones hasn't been good, but he's been better than Haskins.

At the end of the day, as hard as it is, we need to just be patient.  Nobody knows what is going to happen.  And the idea that the team should just blindly throw darts at the QB position until it works out is how you end up with a terrible team.

I love the Horn pick.  We've had a horrible secondary for what feels like forever; even when Norman was here, it was only held together by veterans and band-aids.

And yeah, if Fields works out, it will sting.  But that isn't a guarantee.  We just gotta wait and see.  But everyone lamenting it as a huge mistake must think that good prospects always work out and that just isn't the case.  The fact is, out of the 5 QBs in the 1st round, at least 2 in all likelihood will bust.  I doubt that is Trevor, leaving Wilson/Fields/Jones/Lance.  1 is going to be Lance.  Not sure about the other... sounds crazy but I like Jones' chances in New England under Beli/McD a LOT more than I do Fields in Chicago.

Saints were calling about moving up...who u think was their target maybe the son of one of their best CBs in history so Rhule got pump fake once again by Payton. 

We outsmarted ourselves once again. The first was Teddy, then trade for Sam, this is the third time they showed they just to smart for their own good...

Horn bust/Darnold bust/Fields Successful

Next year Rhule on the hotseat. 

Can't believe my first year as a PSL owner Sam is the QB, last time I was going get PSL Vinny was our QB so I opted out. This year thought I was so smart, like let me go ahead because I know we picking a Franchise QB, yeah too smart for my own good....

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our best inside source said it was a Marty move. And I'd add that for whatever other responsibility you want to attribute to them, Rhule and Brady don't set or negotiate contract terms.

I won't be too surprised if that changes sometime after the draft.

Thats very overlooked around here.

Teddy wasn't a bad idea. Teddy was a bad deal.

Nobody would have cared about the failed Teddy experiment in a year that we simply had no shot of making the playoffs.  Even a prime Cam Newton wasn't taking last year's team to the playoffs.

The problem was he was given a monster contract that gave the team really poor options to get out of.  That reeks trademark Marty Hurney.

15 minutes ago, Ace420 said:

Feilds is a winner and a competitor and an unknown in this league. Darnold has already been given a chance and played like a bust. 

The same people that tell us that they van turn darnold around and fix his bad habits and mistakes are the same guys that told us that teddy was the man last year.

I like horn and think he was a great pick, but ibdo think that the FO should have considered fields and picked him to compete agsinst darnold. Many of us dont think darnold will be able to unlearn the mistakes and bad habits he developed in new york.

Darnold was a great winner in college also. More sought after. 

Why do you expect our coaching staff to change after 1 year? I ask that because of your ignorant statement about the same people that told you about Teddy last year. 

Seems to me you just don't care to be unbiased.  

I, personally am grateful we don't have Fields.