• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Love Jaycee Horn and he was third on my board, but...

Proudiddy

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

This is your problem. You're assuming Fields is a surefire can't miss franchise QB when he hasn't played one second in the NFL yet. Fields, like all the others taken last night, are pretty good prospects. And that is all they are until they play and prove things one way or the other.

That’s the thing for me we already know for sure darnold isn’t that either so why not take a chance on a guy who has a higher ceiling ?

3 hours ago, Mage said:

Lol come on dude.  I've always shown you respect on this forum and have said several times how highly I think of your posts/opinions.  So why resort to insulting me?

I understand what opportunity cost is.  But if we take Fields and he fails, then how exactly does that work out in our favor?  Yeah, of course if Fields turns into this amazing franchise QB, we missed out and sure, your "opportunity cost" argument applies.  But if he lasts 3-4 years as a starter before the Bears give up on him, then exactly what opportunity was lost?

Once again, this is why the debate is flawed.  Because we're debating something we won't know until the games are played.  The only difference is I'm just saying to exercise patience and that either side could be right, whereas you feel it necessary to tell me I don't understand a basic concept like opportunity cost.

At the end of the day I'm not looking to get into a Darnold/Fields debate with you.  My whole point was that suggesting using a 2nd round pick on someone constitutes "mortgaging the future" is wild logic.  It ain't much different than drafting a bust with a 2nd round pick.  

Don’t worry he always throw tantrums and act all sensitive when everyone don’t agree with him it’s comical lol 

10 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

That’s the thing for me we already know for sure darnold isn’t that either so why not take a chance on a guy who has a higher ceiling ?

We don't know for sure Darnold can't be a franchise QB. You think he can't be because he sucked while playing for one of the worst teams in modern NFL history. Unless things have drastically changed for the Jets, Wilson won't be a franchise guy for them just like all the others that didn't pan out there. As I've said since they traded for him, give Darnold a better supporting cast and hopefully better coaching. Then see what he can do. At best, the team has their guy. At worst, the Panthers are looking for a QB again next year.

As for why not taking a chance? It seems they like Darnold more, but you'll have to ask the Panthers FO to be sure.

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Yeah, and thats a great angle I hadn't thought about of it's true.  I wonder if we really liked Lance and that was who they would consider of he had fell, or as you said, they weren't interested in a QB at all.

Been confirmed by a couple of different sources that we didn't see Lance as a good fit.

56 minutes ago, frankw said:

My understanding is it would have been what we have now with Rhule and Fitterer so with that in mind they both came to the personnel decisions that were made last offseason together. Greg Little does very much sound like a Hurney pick so it seems he was given some leeway but qb is the most consequential factor so Rhule and Brady were undoubtedly advised and involved in the process. But now Fits and Rhule are linked to Darnold. I do not want to be right if it means another lost season so I am really hoping it works in our favor.

Greg Little and Will Grier were drafted before Rhule got here.

So yes, they are absolutely Hurney picks.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, rico6 said:

Hopefully we don’t waste draft capital on another Grier. Honestly, at this point I’d rather super invest into the D than reach for a mid round QB or 2-3 year project at LT. 

Now if the goal isn’t to compete this year, hell, grab all the QBs that you can

picking up that option was about as clear a “this is your team this year nod” as it gets

I think picking up the option was always the plan regardless of the draft.  Certainly, even if we had drafted Fields, I think Darnold was more likely to start Day 1.  But I was actually totally fine with that because I like giving a rookie time to adjust and not having to feel like they MUST go out there and light it up right away.  And of course if a rookie beat Darnold out in camp that says a lot about Darnold and/or the rookie, haha.

As to another QB, I expect us to get one in FA.  Darnold will be the presumed start over them I think, but hopefully there's still a competition.  Darnold may be completely ruined from New York, or never have been that good, and I'd rather they have someone in camp to push him a little.

I don't mind taking a very late round QB if there's someone they think is raw but might develop... but to your point,  I would rather 2nd/3rd/4th go on building the D and OL though.  I don't know enough about prospects this far down to comment on the best route there.

Edited by mav1234

22 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

We don't know for sure Darnold can't be a franchise QB. You think he can't be because he sucked while playing for one of the worst teams in modern NFL history. Unless things have drastically changed for the Jets, Wilson won't be a franchise guy for them just like all the others that didn't pan out there. As I've said since they traded for him, give Darnold a better supporting cast and hopefully better coaching. Then see what he can do. At best, the team has their guy. At worst, the Panthers are looking for a QB again next year.

As for why not taking a chance? It seems they like Darnold more, but you'll have to ask the Panthers FO to be sure.

Didn’t like him in college . Then he get to the nfl and stinks yeah i know he had a shitty team but if he a good qb you never gonna throw more ints than you have touchdowns idc what’s around home . Even if we turn him around a little bit at best he’s a game manager . Nothing about him says franchise qb not one thing . And I’m afraid to ask the fo anything they seem to not know what a good qb is in back to back off-season don’t worry we will be here again next offseason darnold is not our future idk why the panthers even lying to themselves if they truly believe so .

26 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

Didn’t like him in college . Then he get to the nfl and stinks yeah i know he had a shitty team but if he a good qb you never gonna throw more ints than you have touchdowns idc what’s around home . Even if we turn him around a little bit at best he’s a game manager . Nothing about him says franchise qb not one thing . And I’m afraid to ask the fo anything they seem to not know what a good qb is in back to back off-season don’t worry we will be here again next offseason darnold is not our future idk why the panthers even lying to themselves if they truly believe so .

Is Cam Newton a good QB? He's thrown more interceptions the last two years than touchdowns. Was Jake Delhomme a good QB? He had some seasons he threw more interceptions. How about Brett Favre? Yep, he had seasons he threw more interceptions too. Peyton Manning? Him too. Terry Bradshaw? Yeah, him also. You can go on and on. The point being the majority of QBs have had years where they threw more picks than TDs, mostly in their first few years or just before retiring. They all had chances or are still getting chances. Let Darnold have his chance too.

Edited by jayboogieman

9 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Is Cam Newton a good QB? He's thrown more interceptions the last two years than touchdowns. Was Jake Delhomme a good QB? He had some seasons he threw more interceptions. How about Brett Favre? Yep, he had seasons he threw more interceptions too. Peyton Manning? Him too. Terry Bradshaw? Yeah, him also. You can go on and on. The point being the majority of QBs have had years where they threw more picks than TDs, mostly in their first few years or just before retiring. They all had chances or are still getting chances. Let Darnold have his chance too.

So bet rn that darnold will live up to any of those guys pedigree . You just compared darnold to hall of famers and multi time mvps . Lmao how many chances you need before you can say  a person is just who they are . Dude is ass but as fan i catch me lying to myself thinking he can be something but nah man he just not it . He showed you every year he’s been in the league but for some strange reason no one wants to believe it . It’s not his fault at all , all the jets fault right ? 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

So bet rn that darnold will live up to any of those guys pedigree . You just compared darnold to hall of famers and multi time mvps . Lmao how many chances you need before you can say  a person is just who they are . Dude is ass but as fan i catch me lying to myself thinking he can be something but nah man he just not it . He showed you every year he’s been in the league but for some strange reason no one wants to believe it . It’s not his fault at all , all the jets fault right ? 

Most of those guys I listed wouldn't be in the hall of fame or multi time mvps if teams didn't stick with them or if other teams didn't give them another chance either. Sometimes it takes guys more than three years to get it together no matter the sport.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Most of those guys I listed wouldn't be in the hall of fame or multi time mvps if teams didn't stick with them or if other teams didn't give them another chance either. Sometimes it takes guys more than three years to get it together no matter the sport.

That’s true but in his case i can’t see it . He’s been horrible all three years . Jets ruined him . He’s damaged goods 

46 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I am surprised the panthers stuck with Cam after that rookie season he had lol.