• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Love Jaycee Horn and he was third on my board, but...

Proudiddy

6 hours ago, frankw said:

The Panthers drafted a corner higher than Patrick Mahomes with a qb room consisting of Sam Darnold PJ Walker and Will Grier. If we they find themselves again searching high and low for a quarterback in 2022 Jaycee Horn is going to need to become a ballhawk clone of Revis/Ramsey/Peterson all rolled into one.

You can literally make this same argument about every player drafted before Tom Brady's 199th pick... 

And no, JC doesnt need to be the best CB of all time for this still to be a good pick.. 

6 hours ago, Mage said:

The thing is, I'm not even saying I think Darnold will work out.  I just think it is ridiculous how quick people want to call a pick bad or say we mortgaged our future before football is played.

Ya'll do realize WAY better prospects than Justin Fields have done terribly in the NFL, right?  It isn't like anything I'm saying is outlandish.  I'm just asking for a wait-and-see approach.  If we, like other teams, don't think Fields can be a franchise QB, then we made the choice we feel is best for us.  We'd be in a WAY worse spot if we took Fields 8 and he and Darnold both flopped.

A lot of what you say is true, also LG as well 

However, a lot of what the Panthers have been doing with QB reeks of desperation.  Lot of people don’t like that opinion but so far, they have been on the wrong side of QB decisions 

they could just ask easily kept their mouths shut about Bridgewater, and moved on from him draft night.  

I noticed leading up to the draft at the presser, Rhule kept his mouth shut more. Would have served him well to have done the same post season.

getting a franchise QB is a lot like poker.  

The 49ers played it beautifully, the Panthers played it like a Div 1 coach in the big leagues.

It showed from the

1. handling of Newton,

2. to the handling of Bridgewater,

3. the discarding of Bridgewater,

4. losing out on Stafford,

5.  the lusting after Watson

6. to picking up the Qb with the statistically worst QBR in the league  and because they did that, passing on Fields 

I am a fan. Nothing I say or think matters but this trend with the most important position in the field is troubling  

Bottom line, the Panthers are married to Darnold through 2022. End of story 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, BrizzMachete said:

If cam started his first 3years off like darnold he wouldn’t even be in the league rn lol certain QBs get passes others don’t . 

Not sure if you are race baiting here or not, but TYPICALLY high 1st round players get way more chances than other guys - QB's especially. 

Everyone is desperate for a QB until you have a good one.  It's the nature of the NFL.  Hindsight is easy but tell me when decisions you would have made at the time giving the options available.

You have to work with the hand you're got.

If the Panthers had given up what the 49ers did to draft Lance this board would be melting down x10.

8 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Basically if Fields becomes Deshaun Watson we become the new bears 

Their embarrassment comes from the fact that they traded up to take Trubisky over both Watson and Mahomes. We did not trade up and we did not take a QB over Fields, so even if Fields is a stud we won't have quite the amount of embarrassment.

20 minutes ago, travisura said:

Their embarrassment comes from the fact that they traded up to take Trubisky over both Watson and Mahomes. We did not trade up and we did not take a QB over Fields, so even if Fields is a stud we won't have quite the amount of embarrassment.

Technically we took Sam Darnold over him.

7 hours ago, Mage said:

That is the beauty of the NFL.  There are opportunities to improve your team every year unless you are both in cap hell and don't have any draft capital (see: Texans).  There will be opportunities to get a QB again, especially if Darnold fails as spectacularly as you predict.

Great comment. Some people on this board seem to under the impression that getting a QB in the top 10 of the 2021 draft was the only way the Panthers could be successful for the rest of the decade. 

1) As some have pointed there's no guarantee Fields (or any of these guys) are going to be championship winners in the NFL.

2) We have drafts every year. We can get a QB in 2022. Some are saying "next year's class sucks!". It's too early to say that. Zach Wilson didn't become a top prospect until his last season. Joe Burrow didn't set the world on fire until his final collegiate season. Mac Jones wasn't a first round prospect before 2020. Chances are a couple of good QBs will be in the 2022 draft class...and unlike some teams that have traded away all of their high choices we'll have  first round choice next year if we need to pick a QB.

3) This team is young and a lot better than our 5-11 record indicates. A strong draft in 2021 should makes us better and a more desirable place for a QB  that we could obtain via free agency or trade.

56 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Basically if Fields becomes Deshaun Watson we become the new bears 

Anything possible, but I don't think we have to worry about that.

In our lifetimes the Chicago Bears have NEVER produced a superstar/franchise quarterback. Just take a look at their history since the superbowl era began in 1966.

In our lifetimes, the OHiO State Buckeyes have NEVER produced a superstar/franchise quarterback. 

The coach/gm combo of Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace doesn't send the proverbial chills up my spine. If Fields doesn't become a baller, both of those guys will be out of a job by 2025...possibly sooner.

If history shows us anything, Fields went to a franchise where QB go to die.  If ...or more likely when...Nagy and Pace are fired Fields will be shown the door for Chicago's next "franchise" QB to repeat the cycle.

PS...I actually want Fields to succeed in Chicago. It'd be nice to see Chicago finally draft a good QB. I just hope he's less successful than Sam Darnold or whoever the Panthers have behind center while he's playing there.

• Pie 2