• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm Disappointed....BUT....THIS....DEFENSE**

SetfreexX

I know I'm not alone in having my hopes for a potential franchise QB crushed by the selection of Jaycee Horn...still sucks a little but. The ONLY thing holding it down for me is what this defense is STARTING to look like. 

DL - Derrick Brown / Dequan Jones / Yetur Gross-Matos / Morgan Fox -- Depth, Bravvion Roy / PJ Jones

EDGE - Brian Burns / Hasaan Reddick-- Depth, Marquis Haynes / Christian Miller

Off-ball LB - Shaq Thompson / Denzel Perryman -- Depth, Jermaine Carter Jr. 

Corner - Jaycee Horn / Donte' Jackson / AJ Bouye -- Depth, Rashaan Melvin / Troy Pride

Safety - Jeremy Chinn / Justin Burris -- And everybody else

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We have made 8 STRAIGHT DEFENSIVE DRAFT PICKS FROM LAST YEAR'S DRAFT TO LAST NIGHT'S PICK. I think today we're looking at Safety, and OL along with trading back to try to get additional picks to address those positions.

On paper we look like we have the makings of a very good defense, the safety spot could also see a veteran come in post draft as we have some room to make a move there. Tonight should be interesting. 

I hope the front office is right, but knowing what Fields brings as a passer / runner, it's bittersweet. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

Rhule and Snow are building what will someday soon be the fastest, most athletic, most dominant defense in the entire league.  I LOVE what they have done with the D so far.  Given all the weapons we already have on offense, I can understand the focus on the D.  They are going to have to address the O-line at some point though via the draft.  I know they signed a couple guys in Free Agency that can probably come in and start, but nobody is confident that Erving is going to be a stud LT.  I expect to see either a LT or S at the top of the 2nd for us.

• Pie 5

Someone commented yesterday the possibility of using Donte Jackson at Nickel. Thinking about that I think its possible that he gets a lot of reps there, but rotates outside as well (In the Press conference Fit kept mentioning Donte on the outside). Hartsfield may get some chances to play FS and rotate  back down into the nickel when necessary. Its going to be interesting how all the pieces fit....and we still have a couple days of draft left. Phil Snow has to be Happy!

Just now, SetfreexX said:

Fuuuuugggg

Dalton - 1yr / 10M, and they traded a future 1st, and a 4th and 5th

Darnold - 1yr / 4M prior to the 5th getting picked up today -- We pass on Fields, this is nagging at me man, shiiiii

No point in harping on it now.  Whats done is done.  Sam Darnold is our QB.  

Just now, Michael G said:

Someone commented yesterday the possibility of using Donte Jackson at Nickel. Thinking about that I think its possible that he gets a lot of reps there, but rotates outside as well (In the Press conference Fit kept mentioning Donte on the outside). Hartsfield may get some chances to play FS and rotate  back down into the nickel when necessary. Its going to be interesting how all the pieces fit....and we still have a couple days of draft left. Phil Snow has to be Happy!

Don't forget about Tony Pride Jr either.  He showed a lot of promise last year as a rookie.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Being a life long panthers fan I've learned one thing. Great defenses get you there but great offenses win championships. 

Looks like we're trying to build both.  I am willing to give Darnold the benefit of the doubt, and let the man operate with what is a vastly superior position in Carolina versus what he had in NY.  If he shits the bed this year, then all bets are off  - but personally, I am excited to see what he can do with Joe Brady and CMC/Anderson/Moore.

• Beer 3

2 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Bouye, and Jackson will probably be the ones moving in and out based on matchups, I don't see Hartsfield doing a lot of this at all, he was depth last year, and IMO didn't show enough to be more than that. 

Keep in mind Rashaan Melvin is also 6'2, and we have Pride as well who flashed as a rookie. Not a lot of reason for a UDFA guy like Hartsfield to see many snaps in coverage at corner. Stantley Thomas-Oliver had some nice moments too. 

Our offense was pretty effective at moving the ball and scoring, except at clutch time. We could not stop anyone and get the D off the field. I am fine with building the D into a nasty, lockdown unit and tweak the offense as we go. We will see on Sam, but if Bilgewater could move the offense, I think Sam will be fine.

• Pie 5