• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions..franchise taking Oline in later rounds

Jmac

13 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Is the thinking that taking Oline with mid range to lower rounds a good plan?

If they don't pick any untill the 3rd or 4th/5th round... is that a wise play?

Interior O-line sure, tackles not so much.

There are alway exceptions but as a general rule there are certain positions easier to find later in the seat than others.

Tackels, especially the type that can play LT, are like QBs, they tend to be over drafted and hard to find.  Sooner or later you just need to spend resources on one, or multiple ones, until you find them.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Interior O-line sure, tackles not so much.

There are alway exceptions but as a general rule there are certain positions easier to find later in the seat than others.

Tackels, especially the type that can play LT, are like QBs, they tend to be over drafted and hard to find.  Sooner or later you just need to spend resources on one, or multiple ones, until you find them.

Yep

I personally don't like it and wish we would invest more in the offensive line. However, I also don't want them to reach for a player. I do believe in taking the BPA and filling the holes with depth and competition. It's really too bad that Sewell went one pick before us. Reminds me of when Clady went right before us and we went with JStew.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, XClown1986 said:

I personally don't like it and wish we would invest more in the offensive line. However, I also don't want them to reach for a player. I do believe in taking the BPA and filling the holes with depth and competition. It's really too bad that Sewell went one pick before us. Reminds me of when Clady went right before us and we went with JStew.

We've done the BPA for years and neglected the line.  This is exactly the reason why we have crap for a line right now.  Sometimes you have to just pick the best tackle on the board. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We've done the BPA for years and neglected the line.  This is exactly the reason why we have crap for a line right now.  Sometimes you have to just pick the best tackle on the board. 

This "neglect" was a result of having a so called "mobile" QB.

been saying it for years.  Cam never had protections because he was a mobile and strong QB. 

Darnold? Well lets be honest. He isnt a physical specimen like Cam. For all kinds of reasons i wont get banned for saying....he will get more support than Cam. 

Lets make it simple. Teams only go deep on OL early when their QB is a butterfly. The trend these days is for QB that are mobile, stronger and a bit more robust. That lends teams to let the OL slide. 

Lets hope Darnold can get some protection tomorrow.~ 

4 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Would have been nice to be able to trade down and take one of the 3 OTs taken shortly after us. I have to believe the FO like at LEAST one of them. But perhaps they couldn’t find a trading partner.

The fact tackle is so hard to find, like a QB, means you need to draft more of them to find your guy, not less. Seems they get that with QB but not tackle. At least spend reasonable draft picks on more than two (Little, Moton) in what? 18 years? Guess there is Otah so that’s 3 in 18 years.

Couple free agents like Oher and Okung....

Thats not a lot of activity since Gross was drafted.

Hope they resign Moton and I’ll feel a bit better but just mine, if they don’t then Paradis leaves I mean that’s 5 positions to fill...it’s going to be comical at that point.

The fact that we dont have damn near anything at OT and they are currently saying they are not really high on a lot of these guys in probably the deepest OT class ever just irritates the hell out of me. I would love to know what the hell they are looking for and what they expect to get out of Darnold if thats how they feel cuz most these guys are better than the revolving door they are so content with. 

Spencer Brown and Brady Christensen probably go in the 3rd round.

James Hudson is late 3rd, maybe 4th round guy. 

Hudson has the highest upside though, he is just very raw and needs coaching. Recruited to Michigan as a DE, transferred to Cincinnati and moved to LT, where he has about 1.5 seasons under his belt. Guy has the size, athleticism, foot work, and potential to be very good of a team is patient and develops him.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Trai Turner was round 3. Andrew Norwell was UDFA. Two of our best guards of the past decade. 

Yes--Travelle Wharton round 3, Ryan Kalil Round 2, Moton round 2--we could have a solid OL after day 1--and since today's draft is deep at OT (despite what some say, I see 3-4 who can start very soon) we will be OK.

Here is what people (me included, because I too am a people) forget--the draft is for 4 years, not next year.  If it takes a player a season to develop, you scheme around the weakness and fill it with 1-year vets until that player is ready. 

Jordan Gross did not start at LT his first season--he played RT for a while. I think we are going to find a LT, but maybe not an opening day LT.