• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Every second round pick in Panthers history

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Honestly, from 2013 forward? Not bad. And depending on the continued growth of Gross Matos and Chinn, pretty damn good.

Not to mention Muhammad, Jenkins, Rucker, Minter, Grant, and even Marshall (he was a solid nickel).

There's a trend in what you're seeing here.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

That's actually better than my impression of our success rate in the 2nd round...

That stretch from 2003 to 2013... Good god.

Ditto.

DeShaun Foster is kind of a dilemma for me.

I'd certainly never say he was a bad pick. He had some really good years with us and I think if we'd have relied more on him than Stephen Davis in the Super Bowl, we might have won it.

But he was picked ahead of Clinton Portis, primarily because the son of one of his college coaches was on our staff at the time if I recall correctly.

Was that the right choice?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd certainly never say he was a bad pick. He had some really good years with us and I think if we'd have relied more on him than Stephen Davis in the Super Bowl, we might have won it.

But he was picked ahead of Clinton Portis, primarily because the son of one of his college coaches was on our staff at the time if I recall correctly.

The big knock on Foster out of college was he fumbled alot.  He never really did that much in the NFL.  But he was never really that good of a back where you could just lean on him for 20 - 25 carries a game either so maybe if he would have gotten the ball more he would have.  He was really a stretch zone runner and he went to a power gap scheme team.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ehh you can split hairs about every player that way. Behind every player on that list I’m sure there was another player we could have drafted that was better than they were. He was a good rb for us and it was a good pick imo. 

• Pie 1

Honestly looks okay from a wide perspective. Kinda surprised, actually. Would be interesting to compare with another team.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Had problems staying healthy and could not hang onto the football at all. It was the right choice at the time since he complimented Stephen Davis.

3 minutes ago, CashNewton22 said:

Ehh you can split hairs about every player that way. Behind every player on that list I’m sure there was another player we could have drafted that was better than they were. He was a good rb for us and it was a good pick imo. 

For a lot of the early years, it seemed like anytime we had a choice between two players, we picked the wrong one.

The best examples of that of course are taking Kerry Collins over Steve McNair and Tshimanga Biakabutuka over Eddie George.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2