• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grading how the draft was run

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

3rd day made me a little more comfortable with the first 2. 

Horn I'm warming up to. Would have took Slater in the first. And JOK or Moehrig in the 2nd. OR.. even Slater then doubled down with Jenkins or Randunz. I just dont fully get the logic but it's not my job to. Think we could have went down 3-4 spots and still grabbed our db. I think Jaycee is to offset Pitts. And the Marshall Jr pick is namely for 2022, as of now he's probably 4th on the depth chart. I will say this though, it is ALOT of "future" potential in this haul. The fan in me says we may have walked away with 5-6 future starters if they reach that potential. In the real world, we're probably looking at 3. 

Just curious why you think Marshall is a futures' pick? He very well has the opportunity to be the 3rd WR. And we use 3 WRs a whole lot.

IMO, there is a chance that nearly all of our picks have a shot at some serious playing time. 

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Just curious why you think Marshall is a futures' pick? He very well has the opportunity to be the 3rd WR. And we use 3 WRs a whole lot.

IMO, there is a chance that nearly all of our picks have a shot at some serious playing time. 

We do utilize the 3rd WR... but not as much as other teams because we have McCaffrey who is basically another receiver at any time. Which was/is the reason we didnt resign Samuel. We also picked up David Moore this offseason with slot intentions. 

Marshall imo is a #2...I think he'll contribute immediately but specifically in the redzone since he's 6'4 and that's a problem area. I say next year because that's when Robby Anderson's (our current #2) contract is up. 

Playing time, they all have a chance at... minus probably the LS. BUT serious playing time this year if I had to guess: Maybe 5 of the 11 and that's being generous. 

Horn (obvious reasons)

Marshall (redzone)...

Christensen (he'll be listed at tackle but may end up playing guard at first) ..He's athletic but his arm length might cause him trouble in practice with all the speed rushers we have. He'll primarily be going up against Burns, Haynes, Reddick, Miller, etc. But if he can come out of camp named starter over Scott then we're good. Or Scott could end up starting with Christensen as depth his first year. Alot of variables.

Tremble (rotation with Arnold)

And maybe Hubbard, depending on McCaffrey's health. I do think he easily beats Cannon and Rodney Smith. 

Its also is a strong possibility that Daviyon beats out Bravvion but he still has to beat out Daquan Jones. 

If your talking 50-60% of snaps and over: 2 of the 11 (Horn and Christensen) 

• Beer 1

Now that the draft is over: A++

I wanted someone different with the first pick, but I like the Horn pick now anyway. Was disappointed at first, but with the way the rest of the draft fell, we got studs and improved every weakness we had significantly. Darnold will succeed with this offense, I’m convinced. If I’m wrong, we can try again for a QB in the future with a much better team around him (with experience) than Fields would have gotten this year. 

• Pie 2

I loved watching folks on here freak out over the trading back stuff.

First, it exploits the miseducation of how the draft works - and how long we have had the wrong decision makes in place.

Secondly, it shows how impatient some people are. They begin saying things like "I guess we'll just draft someone in 2022". Something that my kids would say in line at Disneyland.

We executed this draft very well, trusted our board - filled holes and prepared for the future.

• Pie 1

I loved how our draft was run!

• I liked that we tried to consolidate more picks around the 3rd round which is where career AV and the old Jimmy Johnson chart disagree the most.
  • I loved that instead of trying to beat the odds with 6 picks like have in the past, we embraced the odds and just took more shots
Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 1

Enjoyed seeing some vision for the team’s future. Hurney always bet on winning right now with very little building for long term success. Gettleman believed hog mollies were the answer to everything and even drafted one at WR. Fitts showed the ability to adapt to things as they happened and that was very refreshing. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

I loved watching folks on here freak out over the trading back stuff.

First, it exploits the miseducation of how the draft works - and how long we have had the wrong decision makes in place.

Secondly, it shows how impatient some people are. They begin saying things like "I guess we'll just draft someone in 2022". Something that my kids would say in line at Disneyland.

We executed this draft very well, trusted our board - filled holes and prepared for the future.

Honestly the relief in Tepper's voice during that phone call to Christensen tells me that he was literally the last OT on our Big Board. They absolutely didn't expect that run on OTs to happen when they traded down from #39.