• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Tommy Tremble bandwagon

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

This was an exceptionally weak LT class and the BYU wasn't exactly a top tier prospect at LT. 

If he ends up as a starting OG and a good one, I am fine with that. IMO, he doesn't have the skill set to be a very good NFL LT. I am fine being wrong about that, if it makes the team better. I just don't think he is an NFL LT. 

As much as we have ignored the OL line in recent years(this one included), I will just simply accept "above average" NFL caliber. It is better than what we have been fielding.

This regime has only been in power for 2 years. You cannot hold them responsible for past misdeeds.

Also, this regime got our line up to mediocre last year. Which was an improvement over past lines.

Now, over the last few days we've added talent again.

You can be all worse case you want. But this regime has given the rest of us some hope for the future.

This ain't your daddy's Panthers anymore.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

This regime has only been in power for 2 years. You cannot hold them responsible for past misdeeds.

Also, this regime got our line up to mediocre last year. Which was an improvement over past lines.

Now, over the last few days we've added talent again.

You can be all worse case you want. But this regime has given the rest of us some hope for the future.

This ain't your daddy's Panthers anymore.

Our line performed a mediocre to bad level in 2020, depending on the statistics and metrics that you look at. It's pretty similar in make up this year, with some potential upgrades and/or downgrades. I would expect LT to be much worse this year, and it's a coin flip on the OG's. If we can just scrape one decent starting OG out of the FA signings(highly, HIGHLY unlikely) or the draft(much, MUCH more likely), it's a step in the right direction. Last year's OL was so exceptionally bad when you went past our starting OL(which unfortunately we had to do all too often). That's what I have the most hope for improving this offseason. Perhaps we won't go from mediocre to horrific when one of our starters goes down with injury. Again, that is another area we can dramatically improve on if these offseason moves work out. 

Still not convinced we have a FO or coaching staff that really places much value on the OL. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Our line performed a mediocre to bad level in 2020, depending on the statistics and metrics that you look at. It's pretty similar in make up this year, with some potential upgrades and/or downgrades. I would expect LT to be much worse this year, and it's a coin flip on the OG's. If we can just scrape one decent starting OG out of the FA signings(highly, HIGHLY unlikely) or the draft(much, MUCH more likely), it's a step in the right direction. Last year's OL was so exceptionally bad when you went past our starting OL(which unfortunately we had to do all too often). That's what I have the most hope for improving this offseason. Perhaps we won't go from mediocre to horrific when one of our starters goes down with injury. Again, that is another area we can dramatically improve on if these offseason moves work out. 

Still not convinced we have a FO or coaching staff that really places much value on the OL. Time will tell.

Ok, I give up. Lot's of people excited for what we have going. You? Not so much. 

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This was an exceptionally weak LT class and the BYU wasn't exactly a top tier prospect at LT. 

If he ends up as a starting OG and a good one, I am fine with that. IMO, he doesn't have the skill set to be a very good NFL LT. I am fine being wrong about that, if it makes the team better. I just don't think he is an NFL LT. 

As much as we have ignored the OL line in recent years(this one included), I will just simply accept "above average" NFL caliber. It is better than what we have been fielding.

I get Jordan Gross vibes from Christensen i.e. a guy that looks like he's doing just enough to survive out there, but 60 minutes go by and you realise the DE hasn't done anything all game. 

If he pans out I think he'll be a very solid Zone LT. I don't see him having the strength to move inside. 

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, electro's horse said:

scouts have been saying for years they didn't understand why Notre Dame didn't throw to him more often. Most likely because it's Notre Dame and you Have To Play The Right Way At Notre Dame and That Means NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL or whatever dumb bullshit

when you get stuck in a role it's hard to break out of it.

I think this point is over looked. Just because you were not asked to do something, doesn’t mean you can’t do it. I think he will surprise people with his catching. Especially when they focus on getting by his blocking and he pulls off of a block for a reception. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

I get Jordan Gross vibes from Christensen i.e. a guy that looks like he's doing just enough to survive out there, but 60 minutes go by and you realise the DE hasn't done anything all game. 

If he pans out I think he'll be a very solid Zone LT. I don't see him having the strength to move inside. 

We will see what they have in mind for him. I am just glad we have at least a couple of younger guys to try out rather than these wastebin JAGS they like to keep cycling through. 

My bar is pretty low at this point, so if we can even get just quality two deep guys(something we haven't had consistently in a while), that's ultimately a win. 

I know we seemed ahead of schedule because of how close so many games were last season but this roster is still pretty weak(especially in regards to depth) so I am still being patient with the process of rebuilding. I don't need us to be successful next year, I want to be successful in the long term and actually sustain it at some point. 

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Ok, I give up. Lot's of people excited for what we have going. You? Not so much. 

I really can't help that you can't fathom that not thinking this was the best draft in Panthers history is possible. That's really basically a you problem.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mbarbour21 said:

I think this point is over looked. Just because you were not asked to do something, doesn’t mean you can’t do it. I think he will surprise people with his catching. Especially when they focus on getting by his blocking and he pulls off of a block for a reception. 

I am not sure I would necessarily buy into the notion that Notre Dame doesn't have pass catching tight ends under Brian Kelly. He has had Kyle Rudolph and Tyler Eifert. I would say it's probably more so that they didn't view Tremble as that kind of player.

On the positive side, if you look at ND's track record under Kelly, they have put a lot of TE's in the NFL in general. So, they do have an established reputation as developing NFL caliber talent at the position.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I really can't help that you can't fathom that not thinking this was the best draft in Panthers history is possible. That's really basically a you problem.

Just trying to keep you honest. lol Nothing personal. I don't expect to change your mind. I just enjoy the discourse.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Our line performed a mediocre to bad level in 2020

We lost 8 games by 1 score or less and basically every bit of that was TB. The line performed well enough to win and the rankings have them in the middle of the pack and were never even remotely close to being as bad as the hyperbole always posted here.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

We lost 8 games by 1 score or less and basically every bit of that was TB. The line performed well enough to win and the rankings have them in the middle of the pack and were never even remotely close to being as bad as the hyperbole always posted here.

If you look at the full spread of OL stats, that shows how they were, at best, a bottom half of the league unit. In certain cases, bottom quarter. 

Keep in mind that ol checkdown Teddy and our scheme also masked some of the problems. Also keep in mind how rare it was for us to be starting the same 5 linemen in consecutive weeks.

Make no mistake, it was a pretty bad unit, although it had some pretty good individual contributors. 

That is gonna have to improve because we have a QB that is far, far less comfortable with pressure in his face than Teddy was.