• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold HAS to be excited.

Zod

2 hours ago, Rex said:

He is, but unfortunately it looks like it's going to be a one-sided improvement. Sam won the trade, the Panthers are probably going to lose it. Sam has all the tools physically, and will make some amazing throws, but he has major mental problems. He cannot process the field, or even his immediate surroundings. He just doesn't see the defense, the secondary, and the front seven. He'll stare down receivers over and over until there's a corner, safety, and linebacker ready for the throw.

https://youtu.be/66TPME_M03o

This video goes into it, but you can watch the games yourself. There's a game from last season vs the Bills that really was the point I gave up on Darnold. He starts well, makes some amazing throws, and then stares down his receiver (in a non-crucial down), and then throws to a smothered receiver with a safety in front of him and a linebacker as well. There was nothing there, he had a clean pocket, and no real pressure to force this throw. There was no probability of this ball making it to the receiver, none. He couldn't see the 4-5 white jerseys surrounded by his first read.

Let’s get Joe Brady with him in the film room and see what he can do. I’m bought in now that we didn’t draft Fields.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Rex said:

He is, but unfortunately it looks like it's going to be a one-sided improvement. Sam won the trade, the Panthers are probably going to lose it. Sam has all the tools physically, and will make some amazing throws, but he has major mental problems. He cannot process the field, or even his immediate surroundings. He just doesn't see the defense, the secondary, and the front seven. He'll stare down receivers over and over until there's a corner, safety, and linebacker ready for the throw.

This video goes into it, but you can watch the games yourself. There's a game from last season vs the Bills that really was the point I gave up on Darnold. He starts well, makes some amazing throws, and then stares down his receiver (in a non-crucial down), and then throws to a smothered receiver with a safety in front of him and a linebacker as well. There was nothing there, he had a clean pocket, and no real pressure to force this throw. There was no probability of this ball making it to the receiver, none. He couldn't see the 4-5 white jerseys surrounded by his first read.

agree with most of that except the pocket awareness. he does a solid job of moving around and feeling pressure in the pocket imo.

what hurts sam is his decision making. it's brutally bad.

joe brady has his work cut out for him.

• Pie 2

agree with most of that except the pocket awareness. he does a solid job of moving around and feeling pressure in the pocket imo.

I wonder how much the can be done. More talent, more time, and better coaching can probably work wonders. I think it will come down to how much they change the offense to help him be successful. Rhule and Brady say its about making the scheme fit the players. Hopefully they can figure that out with Sam better than they did with Teddy- and Sam will be able to succeed.

8 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I wonder how much the can be done. More talent, more time, and better coaching can probably work wonders. I think it will come down to how much they change the offense to help him be successful. Rhule and Brady say its about making the scheme fit the players. Hopefully they can figure that out with Sam better than they did with Teddy- and Sam will be able to succeed.

sometimes you can fix a QB sometimes you can't.

no matter how much you know something, some people can't just process it and make the right decision in the heat of the moment.

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

Joe Brady is going to scheme him to a Pro-Bowl season next year. Then Brady will rightfully get a HC job and then we will really see what Sam is all about.

14 hours ago, Zod said:

From the twitter app

Sam Darnold's 2020 vs 2021

2020:

Adam Gase

RB Frank Gore

WR Jamison Crowder

WR Braxton Berrios

WR Breshad Perriman

2021:

Joe Brady

RB Christian McCaffrey

WR D.J. Moore

WR Robby Anderson

WR Terrace Marshall Jr.

Damn.

That’s not even counting O-Line and TE

6 hours ago, Rex said:

Brutal...

image.thumb.png.ab64f8e3ee95666b1cf471f06bb441ee.png

14 hours ago, Rex said:

I have read that he wasn't allowed to call audibles or change plays. The offense was completely run by Gase from the sidelines  and Darnold ran what he was told from the sidelines. That scheme is worlds apart from we run now. There is a question about whether Darnold can go from merely a guy who does what he is told with no alteration to the play to a guy who can manipulate defenses with player movement before and after the snap and making good reads and delivering the high percentage throws. 

You can surely argue that he doesn't know how to do those things but it isn't clear if he has the capacity or simply was never the opportunity given how awful Gase was as a coach and how poor the scheme is for the Jets.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I have read that he wasn't allowed to call audibles or change plays. The offense was completely run by Gase from the sidelines  and Darnold ran what he was told from the sidelines. That scheme is worlds apart from we run now. There is a question about whether Darnold can go from merely a guy who does what he is told with no alteration to the play to a guy who can manipulate defenses with player movement before and after the snap and making good reads and delivering the high percentage throws. 

You can surely argue that he doesn't know how to do those things but it isn't clear if he has the capacity or simply was never the opportunity given how awful Gase was as a coach and how poor the scheme is for the Jets.

If what my coach is telling me to do isn't working after 1 half, I am going to start doing what I feel is best for me and my offense come the 2nd half.

A QB has to be able to make audibles, change protections, set hot reads, change progressions etc etc.

14 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

If what my coach is telling me to do isn't working after 1 half, I am going to start doing what I feel is best for me and my offense come the 2nd half.

A QB has to be able to make audibles, change protections, set hot reads, change progressions etc etc.

No you won't if it isn't part of the plan. Particularly if you aren't taught how to do it and the coach tells you not to. This is like some of of the criticism Cam got for always running the ball when Chudd was here particularly in the second year when he was auditioning for a head coaching job and trying to show everyone how great he was. I have heard that  Cam wasn't allowed to run audibles or change plays which is where the thinking that Cam can't read defenses came from after being in a college system where the one play was called in by the coach with little variation. Like Darnold, Cam was captive to the system he was in and wasn't taught those skills. It doesn't mean they can't do it simply the scheme didn't allow it and they were never taught how to do it. That won't be the case this year.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 3