• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What did we actually gain with the trading down

AU-panther

First of all let me say that I'm usually a fan of trading down, so this isn't a knock on what we did last night.  More just trying to et an idea of what we actually did last night.

Please feel free to correct me on any of this, it can get confusing.

going into the draft we had picks:

1(8), 2(39), 3(73), 4(113), 5(151), 6(191), 6(193), and 6(222)

So far after the trades we have:

1(8), 2(59), 3(70), 3(83), 4(109), 5(158), 6(193), 6(204), 6(222)

for a change of:

lost 20 spots on pick 39

gained 3 spots on pick 73

gained pick 83

gained four spots on pick 113 (4th round)

lost 7 spots on pick 151 (5th round)

lost 13 spots on pick 191 (6th round)

gained 2022 4th

If you ignore the small moves in the later rounds, which are underlined, and just look at the bigger moves we basically gave up 20 spots in the 2nd and gained pick 83 and a future 4th and moved from 73 to 70.

• Pie 3

one of the things about trading back that most panthers fans aren't used to seeing is having the patience and flexibility to control your board.

you can see how things are panning out and know that a guy will still be available X amount of picks away.

you gain capital that allows you to jump up without really losing much at all other than swapping, just in case you notice a trend and would rather move up.

this just goes to show how bad Hurney was, even Gettleman is just now catching on to this trend and getting praise for it.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Also, in last night's presser, Rhule And Fitt said according to their guys (scouts?) a 3rd this year is the equivalent to a 2nd next year, and Rhule said when they viewed it that way, they essentially paid off the Darnold trade already.  I thought that was fascinating. 

This requires Sherlock Holmes level thinking.  I'm digging it.

• Pie 7
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, w280sax said:

I felt like houston gave up a lot in that last trade.

Assuming they aren't good next year, we probably get an early fourth out of that.

They did, but they also got ahead of all the 3rd round comp picks - so I can see why they did it.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Also, in last night's presser, Rhule And Fitt said according to their guys (scouts?) a 3rd this year is the equivalent to a 2nd next year, and Rhule said when they viewed it that way, they essentially paid off the Darnold trade already.  I thought that was fascinating. 

It’s just a calculation of present value. A current pick this year is worth roughly the equivalent of a round better than next year, is pick 64 this year is worth roughly a late first or early second next year.

It’s like having someone hand you $20 today is worth more than a promise to accept that $20 a year from now. 

• Pie 2