• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What did we actually gain with the trading down

AU-panther

Again the Panthers had Cosmi, Little and Christensen all VERY closely ranked on their board per John Ellis' source, probably all with a day 2/roud 2 grade. To fall back and still get Marshall and Christensen and the additional bonus of a untapped potential at TE?

That's an absolute win. 

Further the Houston trade was highway robbery. 

• Pie 1

Unless we go QB in round 1 next year you can bet your bottom dollar we are going to try to trade back in round 1 next year, esp if we are not picking in the top ten again. 

Again Fitts probably has ~15 round one grades per year but loads of round 2/3 grades. Esp missing our second next year we will look to recoup capital 

On 5/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, Proudiddy said:

Also, in last night's presser, Rhule And Fitt said according to their guys (scouts?) a 3rd this year is the equivalent to a 2nd next year, and Rhule said when they viewed it that way, they essentially paid off the Darnold trade already.  I thought that was fascinating. 

A lot of people need to start watching the pressers between draft days, you get some solid insight. 

We got the extra 3rd as mentioned - 2nd round value in 2022

We also received a future 4th - that covers the one we gave up for 2022

We also re-couped the 6th

--------------------------------------------

And to take it further beyond those points, we started this draft with 7 picks, and ended it with 11. I'm sure many of us were thrown after we passed on Fields, but by the time Friday wrapped the plan really took shape for me. 

I understand WHY they passed even if I don't agree, they're building the best possible ROSTER, as we saw with SF, if you have a complete team, you can make a move for a QB, and we're not tied long term to Darnold. 

I will saw I'd swap out Fields for Horn knowing how our draft went, and I'd have not picked up Darnold's 5th and let those two battle in camp to get the most out of each. But I'm also not paid millions to make these decisions so 🤷‍♂️

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, ECHornet said:

When you mention the player we NEEDED,” which player are you referring to?

Two of the top three safeties were there and several solid LT, NEEDS, a WR wasn't a big need compared. Time will tell if the LT we got works out. NOW this wr has a lot to prove before he can replace Anderson.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, glitchh8 said:

Two of the top three safeties were there and several solid LT, NEEDS, a WR wasn't a big need compared. Time will tell if the LT we got works out. NOW this wr has a lot to prove before he can replace Anderson.

WR is not a need is 2021, but could have been one of our biggest if we can’t afford the contract Robbie wants. Better to have a guy who has been in the league a year vs a rookie if Anderson isn’t a Panther in 2022. 

14 minutes ago, glitchh8 said:

Some people can only take what's popular.

The problem is your irrational rage binge has you saying things that aren’t true such as “he routinely drops easily catchable balls” and so on. 

Without medical concerns he would have easily been drafted in the first round. QBs had a perfect passer rating when targeting him. You are mad so now you are fabricating this to back up your argument. That’s how the rest of us know you lost.

I’m not following along with what’s popular. I’m not moving the goalposts to support my arguments either 

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

WR is not a need is 2021, but could have been one of our biggest if we can’t afford the contract Robbie wants. Better to have a guy who has been in the league a year vs a rookie if Anderson isn’t a Panther in 2022. 

People are also forgetting how much use the #3 WR gets in Bradys offense. Look at Curtis Samuel last year as a pass catcher. Brady utilizes 3 WRs heavily. Having three legit WRs at his disposal is a need. Perhaps not our biggest need, but a legitimate need nonetheless 

• Beer 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, w280sax said:

I think this is the ideal year for all these trade downs.  With all the opt outs and no combine, I think there are more likely to be more busts and late steals as scouting is harder than ever.

Thus, having more picks increases the likelihood of finding a diamond in the rough or two.

Seems like good strategy to me.

Another important point is that the Carolina coaching staff ran one of the Senior Bowl teams this year.   So they got to see & talk with many of the players likely to end up in the mid to late rounds of the draft.   

In an off-season like this one, with COVID canceling the scouting combine, that was a huge advantage !  

If you have much better intel on the players than the other teams you want to have a lot of picks to grab the guys you like.  

• Beer 3

5 hours ago, ECHornet said:

Ya... we shouldn't give Anderson a new contract after this year is over.

Paying an aging speedster who doesn't run good routes isn't something a good GM Should do.

Edited by Riv