• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Jaycee Horn over Patrick Surtain II

BrianB

I think J Horn is a first rounder, but pretty much every nfl analyst has Surtain as a better NFL ready cornerback. One of the reasons was Horn's maul the receiver after 5 yards tendencies. He won't get away with that in the NFL. Those down field pass interference penalties are game changers. 

Any thoughts?

• Poo 7

Surtain probably is more NFL ready but Horns ceiling is definitely higher than any other CB in the draft, especially at what Phil Snow what’s us to do. 

He’s a nasty, physical, in you face press man cover corner that is physically the most elite athlete at his position in the class. He is more raw than Surtain but will pass him within a couple years if he can live up to its potential. Physically there is just no other CB prospect like him.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Surtain probably is more NFL ready but Horns ceiling is definitely higher than any other CB in the draft, especially at what Phil Snow what’s us to do. 

He’s a nasty, physical, in you face press man cover corner that is physically the most elite athlete at his position in the class. He is more raw than Surtain but will pass him within a couple years if he can live up to its potential. Physically there is just no other CB prospect like him.

Surtain is supposedly the best technically in some time but he isn't the raw athlete Horn is nor seems to have the same disposition. 

Definitely a higher theoretical ceiling, it just becomes a matter of him being able to reach it. 

I would caution that we probably shouldn't expect a lot next season. Even if he is just flat bad, he deserves at least 3 seasons to get up to speed. Not all of these "elite" CB prospects come out of the gate as All Pro caliber guys. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

I think J Horn is a first rounder, but pretty much every nfl analyst has Surtain as a better NFL ready cornerback. One of the reasons was Horn's maul the receiver after 5 yards tendencies. He won't get away with that in the NFL. Those down field pass interference penalties are game changers. 

Any thoughts?

His name is easier to spell. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Surtain is supposedly the best technically in some time but he isn't the raw athlete Horn is nor seems to have the same disposition. 

Definitely a higher theoretical ceiling, it just becomes a matter of him being able to reach it. 

I would caution that we probably shouldn't expect a lot next season. Even if he is just flat bad, he deserves at least 3 seasons to get up to speed. Not all of these "elite" CB prospects come out of the gate as All Pro caliber guys. 

Oh I completely agree, though I am quite confident he will be our best CB on the team, especially if the defense transitions the way I expect they will. He will need more time to develop but I imagine by mid season he will still be a better press corner than Jackson or Bouye at this point.