• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's the team's Most glaring need after the Draft?

Michael G

31 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Huge fan of Reddick but the reason why he struggled until last year was bc they played him as an OLB. His true position is DE. 

I thought he was an ILB and they switched him to OLB in a 3-4

Nothing on offense. Maybe a backup QB.

Defense. Would love a vet safety. That is about it. Hard to tell because the philosophy will be to mix things up. So will we see Chinn as the lone safety with an extra corner on some snaps? Likely. Chinn will be everywhere which allows us to get stupid creative. I think Burris will be fine with more talent around him. 

I think we are set. Still have guys in FA and others will be cut in the preseason cuts because of the new draftees. I wouldn’t be upset though if we didn’t add a single person. 

1 minute ago, Zod said:

Panthers think Sam Franklin will be a legit option this year at safety.

Yeah but his skill set is SS. Chinn could probably play FS but it’s not his niche. Burris can do it, but I don’t think it’s ideal. Hartsfield and Robinson is all that’s behind him.

Malik Hooker is still a FA

• Beer 1

Id still like to get an older LT vet to let christiansen ease into things. He may be a great LT but who knows. I do trust fitterer and rhule in the aggregate though. So if he doesnt pan out, theyll get it fixed. 

Other than that, lb and safety are the only things that stand out but we can role with who we have.

Ib is the bigger need, a backup safety would be fine. 

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Panthers think Sam Franklin will be a legit option this year at safety.

He did play very well. It would be fantastic if a guy that lowly drafted(or rather undrafted) develops into a quality starter for us. Those kind of successes go a long way towards getting this rebuild moving in the right direction.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

Safety, QB Depth. but every other weakness was addressed.

GUARD:  We inadvertently got really good at Guard with a sixth round pick and an undrafted free agent. Deante Brown and David Moore might be starting at some point in the near future.  Sure, Elflein may be solid and Miller does not embarrass himself, but we could have some studs on the vine.

TACKLE:  Christensen is very athletic, but he is a year away, if you ask me.  Be patient.  Short arms.  Saw his interview--very smart. 

WIDE RECEIVER:  When have we ever had FIVE threats to take it to the house.  The 2 WRs we added were steals---Marshall had a late first/early second round grade--we got him at the end of the second.  Shi Smith on a team like Alabama or LSU or Clemson or Ohio State is a second rounder all day long.  We stole him. So we have Anderson, DJ Moore, D Moore, Marshall, and Smith.  WHAT? 

TIGHT END: And we added a pass-catching TE (Arnold) and another that can help pass protect--and who knows what Sullivan (a 6-5 converted WR) might add---what?  This offense is DAMN GOOD on paper.  I expect Darnold to become a solid to good QB in 2021.

QUARTERBACK:  I believe.  I would not mind a veteran behind him instead of Mr. XFL and Duck Dynasty Revisited--he could use a veteran with a voice.

RUNNING BACK:  CMC, Chuba, and maybe Cannon or R. Smith or Bonnefon.  I like the options.

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE TACKLES:  While I love the addition of Jones as a veteran 3 technique, I think the DT crop was so bad, people forgot about it. Nixon was probably a third rounder (some had him higher) and we took him in the fifth.  Another versatile, athletic player, much like the athleticism displayed by the OT in the third round.  Put them beside D. Brown and Roy, and we should be tough up front.

DEFENSIVE ENDS/EDGE:  We did not need any.  I am not sure that any on day 3 would have made our practice squad.

LINEBACKERS:  Not really sure what we have against LBs, but all I can figure, is that they want to play Chinn in the box and Shaq, Perriman, and Carter etc. will hold it down.  C. Miller?  Orr?  Luvu?  

OUTSIDE CORNERS:  Horn, Bouye, and maybe eventually K. Taylor to play some press man--this is something we have never seen before.  No more magnified protective visors so our CBs could spot the WR on the horizon.  Not sure what this means about Pride--is he moving to S?   Just a guess.

INSIDE (NICKELS): Hartsfield is my favorite, but I know we have to do something with the tackling whiff machine D. Jackson.  I doubt it.  Melvin has experience inside, fwiw.

SAFETIES:  I wonder if Pride will not be moved to FS to see if he can give us something we do not have there.  Aside from that, Franklin, Burris, Ibe, Robinson does not seem like a plan.  I expect them to address this before the season starts. 

• Beer 2

I would like to take a chance on Malik Hooker. He will be cheap, and if he can stay healthy he is a stud. If he gets hurt again, you are only out small money.

Also wonder of Richard Sherman would consider a move to FS?  Probably wants big money though.

• Pie 2