• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Sam Darnold and the QB Situation

methodtoll

46 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Coaching up Darnold is going to be a season long process.  It's not going to be like a light switch that you can flip on or off.

There are likely to be some bumps along the way for those here champing at the bit to call this QB experiment a failure.

Panther fans should provide Sam a chance to prove himself before passing judgement.

You know that's not likely to happen.

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

Actually Kiper, McShay, and Riddick all said Darnold would have been the #2 QB in this class if he was in the draft.  The only QB ahead of him was Lawrence.

Kiper definitively said Sam would be the #2 QB in the draft.  

I see no evidence of the other 2 saying this   

Nobody is throwing Sam under the bus   

44 minutes ago, GOAT said:

The point is, you don't mess with your QB's psyche until given a reason to.

Sam was brought here to have a second chance without pressure and a better supporting cast from top to bottom.

Why throw a wrench in it by drafting a top 10 QB?

Get that man a participation trophy!

• Poo 1

14 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Kiper definitively said Sam would be the #2 QB in the draft.  

I see no evidence of the other 2 saying this   

Nobody is throwing Sam under the bus   

Go watch the video that is posted here and McShay says he would have been the #2 QB on his board and Riddick in the background is agreeing.

@sizzlebuzz 6:27 of the video at the link below.  You are welcome.

Edited by Rocky Davis

...its obvious we're slinging sht to find a QB...cause we're in QB purgatory hell.... Be nice if Darnold is the reincarnation of Jake..otherwise we gonna keep slingin.. Darnold needs to walk into camp with no pressure and rely on insinct.

Edited by Pimpdaddy
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Go watch the video that is posted here and McShay says he would have been the #2 QB on his board and Riddick in the background is agreeing.

Good catch there, thanks.  

I will watch it...

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Depending on how OTAs go and minicamps (as in what rules will be enforced due to Covid) Darnold will have a good feeling of who will be around him. If he gets into the playbook and knows it in and out he'll have a good start going into training camp.

If he can play within Brady's scheme and not try to be the hero he'll play well. 

For sure, Sam has to know that playbook inside and out. 

He will also have to learn to recognize the defenses better. 

If it goes to plan, eventually the game will slow down and Sam can use his natural talents to pick defenses apart.  For now, Darnold is still in the early stages of a long journey to the promised land.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, KendrickPanther said:

If Darnold sucks, we will be drafting a QB in the first soon enough. The only real concern is his ceiling being Kirk Cousins.

You say that like it is a bad thing... cousins is no slouch and many teams could win a super bowl with cousins at the QB. 

cousins was one of the best qbs over the last 8-10 game last year. The guy was averaging 3tds a game.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Getting Sam Darnold for a 6th (2021), 2nd (2022) and 4th (2022), then getting the 6th back for Bridgewater (2021) was an excellent trade for the 3rd pick in the (2018) draft.  Tannahill was also a Gase QB gone bad and now we know who the problem was....Gase.  This kid is 23 years old and had horrible coaching in the NFL.  Alex Smith didn't have a winning season until Harbaugh showed up.  If Carolina can put Darnold in a position to win, which it looks like they are doing, Darnold will be a top 10 QB in the league.  Everyone in Carolina should feel like they won the draft this year getting Darnold so cheap and then grabbing all the other needs on the list.  Merry Christmas people.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You know that's not likely to happen.

Sam is going to be a 4th year starting QB in the NFL.  He simply isn’t going to get 2-3 years to see if it works like a actual draft prospect....and many drafted prospects now only get a year to show what they got. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

Good vid thanks.

Is this McShay the same one who thinks Deshaun Watson and Sam are basically interchangeable?

Interesting quote from Louis Riddick at 5:40 mark:

"I didn't get the sense he's broken...

...as long as they come out of the gate with him and he has some success right away and he doesn't have to really face any of those old demons, great...

...now if he gets down there and all of a sudden he's starting to get hit again and things aren't going well, of course, you're going to start going "yeah he was broken" but I don't think that's gonna happen..."

Hmm.

7 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

My understanding is that at  the time of the Darnold signing there was no expectation Fields would still be available at #8...

...as such, they went with Darnold rather than getting completely shut out in the QB sweepstakes.

Given Sam is now in the fold nobody inside would ever speak to the truth which very well could be that they did prefer Fields...

Personally I expect Fields to outplay Sam....but I am hoping for the best for Sam because by all accounts he's a good kid.

You do realize that Fields is going to be playing for the Chicago Bears, right?

Not exactly a franchise that has been kind to any QB historically and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In fact, I can safely bet on Sam outplaying Fields by a country mile...by mid-season. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1