• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Sam Darnold and the QB Situation

methodtoll

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

You do realize that Fields is going to be playing for the Chicago Bears, right?

Not exactly a franchise that has been kind to any QB historically and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In fact, I can safely bet on Sam outplaying Fields by a country mile...by mid-season.

Well then the Chicago handicap will have to be factored into the evaluation...

...sounds like no matter what happens Fields is going to be due a free pass -- just like the one Sam has received.

25 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Well then the Chicago handicap will have to be factored into the evaluation...

...sounds like no matter what happens Fields is going to be due a free pass -- just like the one Sam has received.

You're....actually not wrong there.

Only difference is that Sam needs to produce as soon as possible as he doesn't have the luxury of being able to say "Hey! I'm just a rookie learning" like Fields.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

You're....actually not wrong there.

Only difference is that Sam needs to produce as soon as possible as he doesn't have the luxury of being able to say "Hey! I'm just a rookie learning" like Fields.

Agreed.

I saw some other (laughable) take that said Fields couldn't be drafted because Rhule's plan was to coach up Darnold like a rookie and that will be real difficult and trying to coach up 2 rookie QB's at the same time is just too much to ask of 24-7 multi-billion dollar professional football organization...

...heck, why don't we roll the clock back to 9th grade while we're at it?

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Agreed.

I saw some other (laughable) take that said Fields couldn't be drafted because Rhule's plan was to coach up Darnold like a rookie and that was real hard to do and trying to coach up 2 rookie QB's at the same time would be too hard for a 24-7 professional football organization to do...

...heck, why don't we roll the clock back to 9th grade while we're at it?

What were *you* doing in 9th grade, I wonder?  lol

• Poo 1

Anyway, in all seriousness,  we will soon know once and for all what Sam Darnold is made up.

Hopefully, he's made of the same stuff as his late Grandfather :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/27/jets-sam-darnold-a-lot-like-late-marlboro-man-grandfather/34328719/

And his Grandfather's name is even more epic :    Dick Hammer.   

• Poo 1

my thoughts are that they don't want anyone coming behind him and winning games if this thing blows up with him under center. they keep will and pj to walk sam through the playbook. especially will considering he's apparently a likeable kid that several coaches wanted to keep around at various times. we need a good practice player. but if darnold is injured or plays poorly, we need to suck and we need to suck bad so these are our guys. 

13 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

You do realize that Fields is going to be playing for the Chicago Bears, right?

Not exactly a franchise that has been kind to any QB historically and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In fact, I can safely bet on Sam outplaying Fields by a country mile...by mid-season. 

I agree with this.  Darnold will be playing in a much better system, one in which Teddy passed for more than 3,500 yards.  Justin Fields went where QBs go to die.  

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, NAS said:

I agree with this.  Darnold will be playing in a much better system, one in which Teddy passed for more than 3,500 yards.  Justin Fields went where QBs go to die.  

Bears did manage to go to playoffs last season with a warm body at QB. Given the way the team is built and it's strengths it is a great place for a young QB.   

Now can the Bears groom and help Fields actually grow? Who knows.   

Personally, I don't care how Justin Fields does. We didn't take him, obviously the staff was happy to bet on Darnold, if all goes wrong they can draft one next year, and that rookie will come in to a fantastic situation.

I choose hope darn it!

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, Italianpantherfan said:

If darnold doesn’t throw 50tds with these weapons there is a problem 

Expecting Darnold to do something only three QBs, two of them are HOFers and the other has won a superbowl in the last two years, have done in the history of the NFL is a problem. I think Darnold should get his chance to turn things around and hope he does, but that is a very unrealistic expectation to have.

• Pie 3