• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Sam Darnold and the QB Situation

methodtoll

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As a backup or a starter?

If you're talking about him as a backup, that's reasonable.

Starter? Lord, no!

Back up. Need a vet presence in that room. Hoyer worked with the best in the biz for many years. 

Grier is a throwaway player. PJ isn’t good either, but at least he’s exciting at times. 

Edited by Riv

On 5/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, SizzleBuzz said:

Kiper definitively said Sam would be the #2 QB in the draft.  

I see no evidence of the other 2 saying this   

Nobody is throwing Sam under the bus   

Maybe u should go back and watch first of nfl draft on espn 3 or 4 people said it on there. 

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What is he supposed to say?  They all suck and we are screwed?  Don't put a lot of stock in coach speak.  He knows the situation. It will get sorted out in time. Trust the process man.

I totally get the coach speak, but they literally just traded for Darnold and they didn’t draft a QB. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

6 minutes ago, Riv said:

Denver has the guy who beat out Grier and PJ last year. 

Houston still has Watson and he’s backed up by a guy who’s done more in the NFL than our 3 guys combined and multiplied by 2. 

WFT has a better starter than we do and backups that are significantly better than ours. 

Oh so Darnold doesn’t count?

and we are counting Watson... interesting.

lol to point 3.

1 minute ago, Riv said:

I totally get the coach speak, but they literally just traded for Darnold and they didn’t draft a QB. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

Patience man, you will see how this program is set up soon.  The pieces will fall into place after the foundation is complete.  Had we been able to start the overhaul like this last off-season oh wee mayne.  If they can do anything close to this next off-season look out brother.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Patience man, you will see how this program is set up soon.  The pieces will fall into place after the foundation is complete.  Had we been able to start the overhaul like this last off-season oh wee mayne.  If they can do anything close to this next off-season look out brother.

You are wasting your time with him. Goods vibes are defiantly not his thing. 

Hey, I got to edit. Didn't really need to, just wanted to see if I could.

As for most of us. Yeah, we can be sweet talked. 

Edited by iamhubby1

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

Oh so Darnold doesn’t count?

and we are counting Watson... interesting.

lol to point 3.

At this point, why should we think Darnold is better than Teddy?  Their stats are pretty similar in their first two years.  Teddy was even a better college player.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

You are wasting your time with him. Goods vibes are defiantly not his thing. 

Hey, I got to edit. Didn't really need to, just wanted to see if I could.

As for most of us. Yeah, we can be sweet talked. 

It's not that I'm a natural pessimist.  I just don't think this staff knows what they are doing.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As a backup or a starter?

If you're talking about him as a backup, that's reasonable.

Starter? Lord, no!

Co-sign.

If it's a backup who Sam could communicate with on the sidelines on any QB questions he may have, I'm all for it.

If the purpose is to supplant Sam as starter, that's a hard pass. 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, Riv said:

It's not that I'm a natural pessimist.  I just don't think this staff knows what they are doing.

Hey, have at it. It's one thing to have no faith. You however, don't have to come off like a giant dicktator doing so.

7 hours ago, Riv said:

So tell us how you would have handled it.  

We had a QB that couldn't push the ball down the field but far worse was we had a defense that was horrific starting the season.  You remember we were on a pace to set an NFL record for the worst percentage in football on 3rd down.  IN NFL HISTORY.  Fortunately our defense improved and we missed that amazing honor.

You said their stats were similar.  That puts Darnold well ahead of Bridgewater since TB had weapons and Darnold had very little.  Putting Darnold with this offense will improve his stats greatly.  AND HE CAN PUSH THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD.   That in itself will make this offense very potent. 

We traded for a QB that has as much potential to be solid starter as does Fields.  We drafted a potential Shutdown corner.  This helps us get off the field.

We drafted concerns at just about every level with solid players.  This draft could bring as many as 3 or 4 starts and 3 or 4 more major contributors and well as a deep bench.

Where in anyone's right mind would they believe the Panther staff has no idea what they are doing?

How many drafts did we go through where we were wondering if anyone was going to start outside the first round?   I posted a couple of months ago Hurney overall record was 55.05% hit on his draft choices. And if you take away his first round it was 48.42%

Round Picks  Hits  
1 14 14 100.00%
2 15 8 53.33%
3 18 10 55.56%
4 15 9 60.00%
5 16 8 50.00%
6 13 6 46.15%
7 18 5 27.78%
Total 109 60 55.05%

This is where you ask WTF is our front office doing. 

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

So tell us how you would have handled it.  

We had a QB that couldn't push the ball down the field but far worse was we had a defense that was horrific starting the season.  You remember we were on a pace to set an NFL record for the worst percentage in football on 3rd down.  IN NFL HISTORY.  Fortunately our defense improved and we missed that amazing honor.

You said their stats were similar.  That puts Darnold well ahead of Bridgewater since TB had weapons and Darnold had very little.  Putting Darnold with this offense will improve his stats greatly.  AND HE CAN PUSH THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD.   That in itself will make this offense very potent. 

We traded for a QB that has as much potential to be solid starter as does Fields.  We drafted a potential Shutdown corner.  This helps us get off the field.

We drafted concerns at just about every level with solid players.  This draft could bring as many as 3 or 4 starts and 3 or 4 more major contributors and well as a deep bench.

Where in anyone's right mind would they believe the Panther staff has no idea what they are doing?

How many drafts did we go through where we were wondering if anyone was going to start outside the first round?   I posted a couple of months ago Hurney overall record was 55.05% hit on his draft choices. And if you take away his first round it was 48.42%

Round Picks  Hits  
1 14 14 100.00%
2 15 8 53.33%
3 18 10 55.56%
4 15 9 60.00%
5 16 8 50.00%
6 13 6 46.15%
7 18 5 27.78%
Total 109 60 55.05%

This is where you ask WTF is our front office doing. 

Darnold didn't have good players around him?  Maybe last year, but it's funny to say that Robby Anderson wasn't good with the Jets but was with the Panthers.  In 2019 he had: Anderson, Jamison Crowder and Demaryius Thoms at WR, which is pretty damn good.  He had Leveon Bell at RB.  That's a pretty good offense.  Granted, his coach was awful... but.

And when I say they don't know what they are doing, I mean their entire body of work so far.  

3 minutes ago, Riv said:

Darnold didn't have good players around him?  Maybe last year, but it's funny to say that Robby Anderson wasn't good with the Jets but was with the Panthers.  In 2019 he had: Anderson, Jamison Crowder and Demaryius Thoms at WR, which is pretty damn good.  He had Leveon Bell at RB.  That's a pretty good offense.  Granted, his coach was awful... but.

And when I say they don't know what they are doing, I mean their entire body of work so far.  

The current regime's "entire body of work" consists of one free agency period and a draft.

We have no idea what their on-field product looks like yet.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1