• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's Draft Grades

Verge

3 hours ago, Verge said:

I posted this all on twitter first so the commentary is limited by character length. Enjoy 

1. Jaycee Horn: Big physical boundary corner that allows our defense to run a lot more man with our physically dominant d-line. This is how you win super bowls. Was my top rated corner and fits like a glove with an ultra high ceiling. Grade: A
NFL mock draft: CB Jaycee Horn falls to Cardinals in new projections

2. Terrace Marshall: Traded down multiple times and still got a player would have been comfortable with at their original spot. Big physical specimen that dominated SEC competition constantly. Familiar with the Joe Brady offense and allows us to be vertical constantly. Grade: A
NFL mock draft: Terrance Marshall, Jr. would give Chiefs another elite  weapon

3. Brady Christensen: Can compete at both G and T. Ultra athletic with room to grow, dominated competition at BYU leading to offensive boom. Good coaching will unlock starting potential. Grade: A
PFF Draft on Twitter: "Only OTs with a 90+ grade in run AND pass-blocking:  💪 Brady Christensen, BYU 💪 Christian Darrisaw, VA Tech… "

4. Tommy Tremble: Physical specimen that will take over the H-Back spot to another level. Need to develop as a pass catcher but wants to be in your face blocking you violently. Value was not quite there this early. Love the player, hate the spot. Grade: C+
No. 9 Notre Dame pulls away from Louisville 35-17

5. Chuba Hubbard: One cut and go back who runs tall and runs hard. Dominated early in his career but fell off a bit last year. Will be a great compliment to CMC as a hit the hole runner. Grade: B
2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Chuba Hubbard - Prime Time Sports Talk

6. Daviyon Nixon: Unbelievable athletic ability and quickness for his size. Dominated in 2020 (noticing a trend?) Could start right away opposite Brown. Tremendous value as I had him as an early 2nd round pick Grade: A+
Daviyon Nixon 2021 NFL Draft Profile

7. Keith Taylor: Tall and lengthy corner who plays to his strengths. Had a tendency to get burned vertically at Washington (I caught up on tape of him last night lol) may be a candidate to play a safety hybrid. Good secondary depth Grade: C+

8. Deonte Brown: Mammoth human being that got a PHD in mauling the competition. A bruiser who plays guard like a power back will certainly compete to be a starter early. Struggles in advanced pass blocking scenarios, and has some off the field concerns Grade: A

9. Shi Smith Shiiiii. An electric slot receiver in the mold of Jamison Crowder. Will look to take some of the Curtis Samuel snaps that we lost. Has some kinks that need to be coached out, and is limited physically, but will compete for slot snaps. Grade: B

10. Thomas Fletcher He is a long snapper. Idk what you want me to tell you. Seems like a nice kid. Allows us to save 1 million against the cap. Grade: Long Snapper

11. Phil Hoskins: His nickname is "Big Snacc" if that tells you anything. Body type of a hardline nose that plays like Aaron Donald. Interesting skillset that will likely struggle to make the 53. Intriguing value this late. Grade: B+

Me seeing “Big Snacc” and Aaron Donald’s name in the same sentence (clearly I know he’s likely not going to be close to Donald but still)

6780628B-C3D7-48CD-A074-4C270B077984.jpeg

Edited by CashNewton22

6 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

He got in trouble his freshman or sophomore year I think and actually got suspended and missed games at Alabama. Guy from Iowa had off the field issues too involving a dorm room incident years ago. Didn’t know anything about shi. 

well, they are  6th rounders.  Gross Matos had off field concerns and we took him in the 2nd.   So I think last year was a bigger concern than this one.  He was a high pick and his troubles were big enough for us to know them.   Not worried about it. They clearly weren’t big enough to leak out.   

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I agree, but in a year or two from now, I am willing to bet Shi Smith is an A+.  I think he was undervalued going in and he dropped. 

Tremble will be that locker room guy--fan favorite--special teams hero and basic slobber knocker.  Agreed, he could have gone a round later--although some had him as the #3 TE in a weak TE class.

I am most excited about what we found in Nixon, Brown, and Smith later in the draft.  Not exaggerating--those three are better than some of Marty's top 3 draft picks--I can't think of a Marty draft that was much better.

I’m a UNC fan so I’m definitely not a supporter of South Carolina football  but the few times I’d randomly catch a little bit of a South Carolina game Shi Smith ALWAYS came up with some kind of ridiculous catch. In the perfect world Marshall replaces Robby and Smith replaces David Moore next year and we roll with the big 3 of DJ Marshall and Smith.

Just now, CRA said:

well, they are  6th rounders.  Gross Matos had off field concerns and we took him in the 2nd.   So I think last year was a bigger concern than this one.  He was a high pick and his troubles were big enough for us to know them.   Not worried about it. They clearly weren’t big enough to leak out.   

I’m not worried either. It was both earlier in their careers and looks like we got some steals based on where they were drafted.

that’s basically what fits said. They were young kids and we all do stupid stuff. So the staff is aware and must’ve not been a big deal. But I read the Iowa DT was completely taken off some teams boards. No idea the truth to that.

All grades should be 'INC", but theres no fun in that and this is forum that talks panthers. 

I agree with verge on most of these. My biggest issues are echos of others. Tremble pick is a F. Blocking H-back is not even on most NFL rosters. On the value chart if you rank Blocking H-back, its right above long snapper.....which brings me my next issue. Personally Im never spending a draft pick on ANY special teamers. Market is flooded with decent Kickers, punter, and long snappers. Id took a risk and drafted Trey Smith 10 out of 10 over a fuging long snapper. Lastly instead of the 2nd trade back, Drafted JOK too.

Thats the bitachin part, now to good. Loved the focus on late round value. Nixon, Smith, Brown thats how you draft late. Value Value, late, who cares at that point about some red flags. Marshell was a great value too (if you couldnt reverse time and get JOK). 

Mehs are the rest, no hate or huge excitement like Brown(who can pull and move), Nixon, Smith, and Marshell value picks. Horn takes time to understand, honestly it does. Once you watch enough and know panthers weakness against Evans, Thomas and Pitts..... It makes more and more sense. Blame Lions for doing something smart with a new GM/HC. Taylor is same deal as horn, adds more press options for big fast guys. Snow Im sure is happy with both pics. Chudda Hudda, lost MDavis as the top backup and hes got waaaaayy more talent/skills than whats on the roster. Christensen is the OL guy they picked, not big on his LT future, but who knows where he is one year form now. Hosikins, dont know about him at all. Felt like a dart at a what was the BPA in round 7th of the weirdest draft in some time.  

3 hours ago, Verge said:

Our total grade: 

I think that's how averages work I guess, I'm not very good at math. 

I did the ABC's in my head and was thinking B++ to A- based off your grades. I was going to ask what your overall grade was and fortunately I panned down enough to catch this post. I have been busy today and far from being done being busy.

I read this board pretty much everyday but rarely post. Verge, I just wanted to say thank you for what you bring to this board, it's much appreciated.

Edited by Boundary Guru
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

According to Rhule, Chuba fell off last year due to a high ankle sprain he played on.  These guys did their homework. 

Yeah.  Also saw a videos that he said he had groin surgery after the 2019 offseason and it took a long time to come back from. Then an ankle injury.

But a kid that can drop his hips like this and have Olympic speed could prove to be a steal.  

685FC5B8-A5BC-4936-97E5-AF345AA03C60.jpeg

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, BigAggieLean. said:

As a fellow HBCU alum, I really rooting for the kid from Grambling, Moore.

He was dominant down there in Grambling.

Love how tenacious he is.  Definitely a Rhule guy.  Really like the attitude this team is starting to get.  I want teams to drag their asses off the field after playing us.  

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I love where we are now at G, DT, CB, and even TE (Arnold, Tremble).  We have NEVER been this good at WR, and CMC and Chuba could rival the Double Trouble side show from a decade ago.  I feel better about OT, QB, and special teams.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. 

I'll take Steve Muhsin and Ricky over this group any day of the week.

6 hours ago, Verge said:

Our total grade: 

I think that's how averages work I guess, I'm not very good at math. 

Technically i believe its closest to an A-

Also would you really go B on the running back? He’s not really complimentary to CMC or Bonnafon. Honestly he sounds like an unpolished possibly worse Bonnafon clone. We needed a power back and we didn’t get one there. 

Not saying he’s bad himself but doesn’t fit our needs currently. 

Edited by Harbingers

14 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Technically i believe its closest to an A-

Also would you really go B on the running back? He’s not really complimentary to CMC or Bonnafon. Honestly he sounds like an unpolished possibly worse Bonnafon clone. We needed a power back and we didn’t get one there. 

Not saying he’s bad himself but doesn’t fit our needs currently. 

I mean...in 2019 Hubbard did rush for 2000+ yards and 20+ TDs out of Ok St. That’s crazy.   I mean he has got to be better than Reggie doesn’t he? 

But I did think they would go for a power back.