• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Way Too Early Depth Charts**

SetfreexX

Offense:

QB - Sam Darnold / PJ Walker / Tommy Stevens 

HB - CMC / Chuba Hubbard -- Depth -- Rodney Smith, Trenton Cannon

FB - Tommy Tremble (based on personnel package)

TE - Dan Arnold / Ian Thomas & Tommy Tremble (based on personnel package)

WR - DJ Moore / Robbie Anderson / Terrace Marshall / David Moore / Shi Smith

OL - Brady Christensen / Pat Elflein / Matt Paradis / Deonte Brown / Taylor Moton (I think Brady has a chance being a bit older, and developed physically, Brown's track record at ALA can't be denied so I think he edges out Miller) -- Depth -- Erving, Little, Dailey, Scott, Miller

--------------------------

Defense: (Showing as a 4-3)

DL - Burns / Brown / Jones / Gross-Matos -- Depth -- Fox, Haynes, Roy, Nixon, Miller

LB - Shaq Thompson / Denzell Perryman / Hasaan Reddick -- Depth -- Jermain Carter (Area of need)

CB - Jaycee Horn / Donte Jackson / AJ Bouye -- Depth -- Troy Pride / Rashaan Melvin / Keith Taylor

S - Jeremy Chinn / Juston Burris -- Depth -- Kenny Robinosn, Sam Franklin, Myles Hartfield

-----------------------------

In my opinion another off-ball LB, and veteran safety are needed, I feel good most elsewhere on the roster. 

• Pie 9
  • Poo 1

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Again, I think Erving is starting over Miller and this over a rookie as well. I think Erving and Elflein are starters with Moton and Paradis. That last spot is likely LT where I do think Christensen is expected to win it. If not, maybe Erving moves out there or Scott. I hope we didn’t sign Erving to that deal and not expect him to be a day 1 starter. 

I think Erving was brought in for LT:  

"they wanted me to come in here and compete to play left tackle. That's something I've been striving for and wanting to do for a long time in my career"

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-offensive-line-rebuild-coming-into-focus

The rook will be there as a replacement in case of injury or poor play.  

Trent Scott did a pretty decent job filling it at left tackle last year.

I read a comment that was one of the reasons why the Panthers were comfortable trading down. They didn't feel that some of the tackles taken after the first round were significantly better than Scott.

• Pie 4

I think the rookie OT, Brady Christensen, will get a shot to start. He was the highest graded OT in college last year. Erving, really wasn't that good in Dallas, tbh. If I was going to bet, I say Christensen is starting by the end of the year.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Y’all think Hubbard automatically goes to CMC’s backup?

I think barring some injury or unforeseen off-the -field issue he will be. Its obvious he is well liked by Rhule. If he learns the offense and performs decently he will be the #2, I believe. I have always liked Bonnafon. He always seems to show out in spot duty, but for whatever reason he seems an afterthought. I think Smith will be #3, unless Cannon beats him out due to special teams play.

Edited by Michael G

24 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I can't see Deonte Brown as a starter yet.  The dude is a house but he still has some work to do.  I'm sure he'll play in some packages as a rookie but I don't think he's ready to replace a 7 year vet like Miller who played decently last season. 

10 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think Erving was brought in for LT:  

"they wanted me to come in here and compete to play left tackle. That's something I've been striving for and wanting to do for a long time in my career"

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-offensive-line-rebuild-coming-into-focus

The rook will be there as a replacement in case of injury or poor play. 

Miller is a RG, and Brown is a LG. Someone said a few years ago that switching from RG to LG was like trying to wipe your ass with your left hand; it's possible, but it ain't natural. (I'm wildly paraphrasing, but you get the gist). I agree with your sentiment though. Brown will have a hard time beating out Elfein and/or Erving for LG. Since both vets have been injury prone, I think he'll get his shot sooner or later.

I also think that Erving may be day 1 LT, although Christensen has a much better chance at starting than Brown does.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, w280sax said:

Does anyone think we might use Tommy stephens like taysom hill.  If not, I don't know that he can make the 53.  I would root for him though. 

I'm not sure if Stevens will make the team either. Brady didn't have him to start the season with last year, so it'll be interesting if they scheme something up for him or not. If not he best find a way to contribute on special teams or he will be gone, unless he can beat out Walker/Grier for a backup spot.