• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bears Release Starting LT Charles Leno

Seltzer

When a starting LT who is decent to good just gets cut for cap reasons, you have to wonder two things:

1: Is there an injury or off field issue that hasn't come to light yet?

2: If the player is fine health and issues-wise and is still ready and willing to compete, what is the paycheck demand going to be? LTs aren't cheap, reliable ones are downright expensive and great ones are ludicrous. This guy would rather try the market after the draft than renegotiate his contract? 

You might get a very good guy for your team. You might get someone with a hidden health issue. You will probably over pay for them.

Maybe we pass on this and see what shakes out in training camp for our guys.

I am a bit confused--this guy is average, and we have Scott, who was pretty average and probably would be this year.  We have Irving, and he is what he is--probably a notch below average, and we have a developing LT we hope to start asap.

At what point does bringing in another LT hurt your development in that area?  I know we do not have Joe Thomas on the left side, but we have a blocking TE/FB/HB, as many as 5 WRs who can ball, a TE who can catch, and we get CMC back.

It got better, and we need to develop Christensen, not extend average careers. 

I see where people are calling Irving trash--not accurate.  He has been shuffled around at every position on the OL, played in different systems.  OL is a chemistry experiment, so often when the LG looks bad, it is because the C missed a call or the LT did not squeeze down.  Or the LT looks bad because the LG doubled down on the nose, thought the MLB was blitzing, etc. and did not cover the DE's inside move.

We have to fire our bullets before we reload the gun.  Let's see how this pans out.  Yes, there is talent out there  would take in a minute, but this guy aint it.

22 hours ago, NAS said:

Yes to this, I hope Christiansen starts but Leno would be good insurance policy 

I like how taking a left tackle in the third round automatically makes Christiansen the savior due to Huddle logic. We already have Cam Erving, I don't see how this guy would be an upgrade on what we have and we already have like six tackles on the roster. The Bears line was atrocious last year.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I like how taking a left tackle in the third round automatically makes Christiansen the savior due to Huddle logic. We already have Cam Erving, I don't see how this guy would be an upgrade on what we have and we already have like six tackles on the roster. The Bears line was atrocious last year.

Leno is way better than Erving. 

Erving at a pff grade of 58 compared to Leno's 74. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I was wondering if we had any connections with Leno here, so I looked it up.

The Bears OL coach during his rookie year was current Panthers line coach Pat Meyer.

when this story broke yesterday I almost posted "hey Mr. Scott, will check for coaching staff connections."  

Then I realized you'd get around to it sooner or later.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, BillBrasky said:

Beware - In Chicago, Leno earned the nicknames "Turnstile", "Speed Bump" and "The Walrus" as he spent a lot of time on the ground. He was a big reason for Trubisky's struggles. 

That is what my Chicago friends tell me.  I would rather have Scott.  You can't keep burying your talent to bring in the next quick fix/rental.  It is demoralizing and breaks up the chemistry you need to develop as a group. Make your linemen better--let them get to know each other, and they will be good.  Dont care how nice the new tire is, if it is not balanced or has different tread, you may not get the improved ride you thought.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2