• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another opinion on our draft from Dator

ladypanther

6 hours ago, travisura said:

I've seen several draft graders give us a B for the draft overall and it makes me wonder how much of it is grading us harshly for passing on Fields, despite the great moves we made rounds 2-7

I think it absolutely does have to do with a myopic view that many of these pundits/draft hacks have on the team and what they decided we should do.

If they are incapable of stepping back and seeing the big picture, then they are going to grade us poorly.

Basically it's small minded people who are going to look at the fact we didn't draft a QB or an OT in the first couple rounds and see it as a fail.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

Where is Smartyhurney with his all caps bluster? 

People in the know understand how well this draft was managed.

That is a hindsight discussion, in fairness.

How many "on paper" draft classes have we had that looked less than stellar 3-4 years later.

This one is likely going to be a boom or bust, IMO. Not a lot of middle ground.

1 hour ago, travisura said:

I've seen several draft graders give us a B for the draft overall and it makes me wonder how much of it is grading us harshly for passing on Fields, despite the great moves we made rounds 2-7

They are judging us for what we didn’t do (draft Fields) than for what we did do which was draft 11 players who all have a strong chance to make the team 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 5

19 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think it absolutely does have to do with a myopic view that many if these pundits/draft hacks have on the team and what they decided we should do. If they are incapable of stepping back and seeing the big picture, then they are going to grade us poorly.

Basically it's small minded people who are going to look at the fact we didn't draft a QB or an OT in the first couple rounds and see it as a fail.

Well, if Slater turns into a good LT or Fields turns into a good QB while we struggle at LT or QB, it could look like a questionable decision. 

I don't see a reason to jump on the "WE ARE OBVIOUSLY GENIUSES" train without the acknowledgement that we could end up regretting that 8th pick(or some of the moves after it). 

We never know the full story until long after the draft.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

They are judging us for what we didn’t do (draft Fields) than for what we did do which was draft 11 players who all have a strong chance to make the team 

Precisely. QB and LT are far more valuable positions in the modern NFL than CB. 

The question is, are the guys we passed on actually better than Horn will be? TBD.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, travisura said:

I think B ratings are good ones.. probably the best. If you get an A that's just cuz the beat writer really personally preferred that player. If it's B, that means everyone understands why said player was drafted, but why when a so-called "flashy" was still left available. There wasn't a splash signing. It was workman like. Building from the ground up, and making the team deeper. Our splash signing is coming but this wasn't the year. Sometimes the big time name shows out, and sometimes they don't.

As can turn into F's real quick if the player don't show up. And that hurts alot more than a "B" that's playing his roll, and playing it well. People forget this is a team sport.