• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another opinion on our draft from Dator

ladypanther

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, if Slater turns into a good LT or Fields turns into a good QB while we struggle at LT or QB, it could look like a questionable decision. 

I don't see a reason to jump on the "WE ARE OBVIOUSLY GENIUSES" train without the acknowledgement that we could end up regretting that 8th pick(or some of the moves after it). 

We never know the full story until long after the draft.

The biggest problem and the thing that will hold someone back is thinking there is only one path and feeling that a veering off that path could possibly result in failure so it should be avoided.

Come in with an open mind and realize that regrets and mistakes are always a possibility and you live with it. They picked the best players on their board and a mistake would have been fixated on QB or LT regardless of talent skipped over on the board.

And CB is absolutely crucial when facing elite receiving competition...regardless of the perceived value by some in the "modern" nfl.

• Pie 8

12 minutes ago, rayzor said:

The biggest problem and the thing that will hold someone back is thinking there is only one path and feeling that a veering off that path could possibly result in failure so it should be avoided.

Come in with an open mind and realize that regrets and mistakes are always a possibility and you live with it. They picked the best players on their board and a mistake would have been fixated on QB or LT regardless of talent skipped over on the board.

And CB is absolutely crucial when facing elite receiving competition...regardless of the perceived value by some in the "modern" nfl.

Yeah but you can insert Marty Hurney and Dave Gettleman into that logic and end up in nothing but tears.

We all hope that Rhule and Fitterer know what they are doing but we absolutely do not know that. 

TBD

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, travisura said:

I've seen several draft graders give us a B for the draft overall and it makes me wonder how much of it is grading us harshly for passing on Fields, despite the great moves we made rounds 2-7

Note the draft grades for the bears... unfortunately the ‘overall draft grades’ are actually the ‘grades dependent on how many players you drafted that I’ve heard of’

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Scared of being the Bengals? 100%.

After what we've been through for years and years I could hardly blame you. 

I'll tell you I 100% believe those days are over and this team is being managed the best it has ever been.

You obviously aren't there yet, but just remember...it's ok to feel optimistic about the direction we are taking and its ok to have a little faith in the guys running the team 

It will make this off-season a whole lot more fun.

Better to have faith/optimisim and then be disappointed than to never have it at all.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Precisely. QB and LT are far more valuable positions in the modern NFL than CB. 

The question is, are the guys we passed on actually better than Horn will be? TBD.

Well technically they did take a QB and LT. It's just not who and where folks expected them to.  

• Pie 2

I will be keeping a close eye on the bears next year. They drafted fields who we maybe should have taken, and then traded with us to take Jenkins who we maybe should have taken. If both of those dudes pop off and Sam Darnold turns into TB2.0, then I will have made my decision regarding this staff. If they don’t pop off and some of our draft picks hit, then I’m cool. 

35 minutes ago, MilkyCastles said:

I will be keeping a close eye on the bears next year. They drafted fields who we maybe should have taken, and then traded with us to take Jenkins who we maybe should have taken. If both of those dudes pop off and Sam Darnold turns into TB2.0, then I will have made my decision regarding this staff. If they don’t pop off and some of our draft picks hit, then I’m cool. 

What if they all pop off?

Before the draft: This is the year to get a franchise QB, strongest class in many years.  Only problem is QBs might all go in picks 1-4.  We might have to trade up but it will be worth it.

After draft: We didn’t draft a QB.  Please don’t think this was a mistake though.  

• Beer 1

The Panthers passing on Fields tells me that Fitterer is staking his reputation and possibly his job on Darnold being the real deal. Fitterer has seen something in the tape on Darnold to make him think he's our franchise QB. He's seen something other GMs didn't, and we have the entire 2021 season riding on Fitterer's QB evaluating skills.

Darnold will decide our fate, and we don't have a backup plan after passing on Fields. Horn has great measurables and potential, but the QB situation is of course the real key to everything. Fitterer has made Darnold plan A, and there is no plan B. Here we go.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1