• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another opinion on our draft from Dator

ladypanther

1 hour ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Before the draft: This is the year to get a franchise QB, strongest class in many years.  Only problem is QBs might all go in picks 1-4.  We might have to trade up but it will be worth it.

After draft: We didn’t draft a QB.  Please don’t think this was a mistake though.  

All of this is just a poor perspective.  

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

After what we've been through for years and years I could hardly blame you. 

I'll tell you I 100% believe those days are over and this team is being managed the best it has ever been.

You obviously aren't there yet, but just remember...it's ok to feel optimistic about the direction we are taking and its ok to have a little faith in the guys running the team 

It will make this off-season a whole lot more fun.

Better to have faith/optimisim and then be disappointed than to never have it at all.

I have been optimistic enough in my lifetime as a Panthers fan. I am just adopting a wait and see approach. 

If it works out, awesome. Finally.

If it doesn't.....well....Panthers tradition will remain.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

The Panthers passing on Fields tells me that Fitterer is staking his reputation and possibly his job on Darnold being the real deal. Fitterer has seen something in the tape on Darnold to make him think he's our franchise QB. He's seen something other GMs didn't, and we have the entire 2021 season riding on Fitterer's QB evaluating skills.

Darnold will decide our fate, and we don't have a backup plan after passing on Fields. Horn has great measurables and potential, but the QB situation is of course the real key to everything. Fitterer has made Darnold plan A, and there is no plan B. Here we go.

Yeah, that is what concerns me so much. The history of these reclamation projects at QB is not exactly stellar. 

I will say that if Horn and the hodgepodge of relatively who Dat OL additions(draft and FA) work out, that will lessen the blow of Darnold continuing to be a bust quite a bit.

Although I am certainly a proponent of getting a franchise QB whenever the opportunity presents itself, it wouldn't be awful to have the luxury of pulling a move like San Francisco or the Rams and just buying a new QB after the team is largely in place. 

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, not excited about the Horn pick but overall it looks pretty damn good. Like last year, so much hinges on an uninspiring move at QB working out.

The one comment I continued to hear before the draft was.  "We have to figure out a way to get off the field" I think the nice additions in Free Agency on our front 7 and the belief they were going to live or die with Darnold at the helm made the decision easy.  Find a player that can help you get off the field.

JC Horn fits that player. 

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, not excited about the Horn pick but overall it looks pretty damn good. Like last year, so much hinges on an uninspiring move at QB working out.

My guess now is they view the QB position like this. If Darnald doesn't work out we can always draft a QB later and have a team built around him. I just really don't think they graded these QBs very high in a year that was QB needy. That's my guess though.

• Beer 2

15 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Dator also mentioned that the Panthers have recouped what they paid for Darnold except for next year's 2nd round pick.  Well....the way Fitt plays, my guess it is just a matter of time before he gets that one back as well.

Technically, they traded down twice in the second and got two third rounders. So they kind of got that value back already and some. A second next year is pretty much considered 3rd round value. 

2 hours ago, Snake said:

My guess now is they view the QB position like this. If Darnald doesn't work out we can always draft a QB later and have a team built around him. I just really don't think they graded these QBs very high in a year that was QB needy. That's my guess though.

The thing is, they clearly value QB by being involved with Stafford and Watson. I have to think they just had a very narrow grade on QB's in the draft.

I can't imagine any is losing their job if Darnold doesn't pan out as long as the team is improving and puts them self in a situation where they are only a QB away from being a real contender. They know that there are no guarantees. They know what they gave up is relatively small. If this draft works out and there is confidence in the Fitts/Rhule building ability than on player won't make or break them. 

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, mbarbour21 said:

Technically, they traded down twice in the second and got two third rounders. So they kind of got that value back already and some. A second next year is pretty much considered 3rd round value. 

Rhule stated in one of his press conferences that they consider that 2nd round recouped already.

• Pie 1

From the info coming out about how they valued the draft and strategically addressed the overall roster talent issue there was no way in hell we were going to throw years of top draft picks for Watson.

Edited by Moo Daeng

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

From the info coming out about how they strategically addressed the overall roster talent issue there was no way in hell we were going to throw years of top draft picks for Watson.

That had the makings of a hurney move all over it.  

• Pie 1