• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Voth: Brady Christensen was going to be the #59 pick in the 2nd round

The overall takeaway whether this is true or not is that it sounds like they got the tier 2 LT we were targeting and the WR Brady wanted. 

I would’ve loved to see our board for that second group of OL after Darrisaw. 

Christensen, Jenkins, Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Mayfield, Radunz. Wonder who was at the top.

• Pie 2

you guys wouldn't believe some of the info being tossed around behind the scenes.

there are insiders, scouts, and other paid professionals that go behind this decision making and play a role in navigating their board. 

Christensen may have been the target, but analysis and other information pertaining to his interest elsewhere may have come to light in real time during the draft.

while making this decision they also may have received information on Marshall, and his interest level increasing.

that's why Fitt traded back to a spot where he knew he could get Marshall and gain another pick to help land Christensen where he was being projected in real time. 

2 minutes ago, GOAT said:

you guys wouldn't believe some of the info being tossed around behind the scenes.

there are insiders, scouts, and other paid professionals that go behind this decision making and play a role in navigating their board. 

Christensen may have been the target, but analysis and other information pertaining to his interest elsewhere may have come to light in real time during the draft.

while making this decision they also may have received information on Marshall, and his interest level increasing.

that's why Fitt traded back to a spot where he knew he could get Marshall and gain another pick to help land Christensen where he was being projected in real time. 

and then you have dave gettleman with his strategy of saying "fug it, i'm taking a guy who would go in the 5th with the 2nd pick". 

Fitt's navigation is so refreshing.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

It's not that far fetched. They could have been targeting Brady at #59 and once some of the tackle-needy teams started drafting other OTs felt safe enough he would be there in the 3rd that they took TMJ.

The fact that he was the only player we actually traded UP for indicates to me that he was definitely a target of ours that we wanted to ensure we got. 

That, and Tepper's reaction on the phone call tells me he very likely was their primary target at LT if Sewell didn't fall to them in the 1st round.

• Beer 2

I hope he starts on the oline this season. 

I'm still upset the Lions got Sewell. I actually made a thread not too long before the draft that multiple mocks had the Lions or chargers getting Sewell right before our pick and that's exactly what happened.

Christensen is alot older that's a pretty big downside if he isn't good or starting out of the gate. 

I had the feeling the staff was treating addressing the oline as an afterthought this draft and possibly they are way higher on Elflien and Erving than almost everyone else is (really you could say the same for Sam Darnold).

Needless to say the excuses are now out of the window. If team is somehow bad next year I'll be pissed because it'll be in the back of my head we could've got Fields for nothing and drafted oline high twice in a row. 

Edited by Hoenheim

Listened to the full interview with Voth, good stuff.

Most interesting thing to me is around the middle where he mentioned there being confusion in the front office last season regarding how things were aligned, who was in charge, etc.

He specifically highlights the question, "Why are you picking up a quarterback to help you win now when you're talking about a long-term build?"

That fits in with what we've heard before about last year.

• Pie 1