• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Voth: Brady Christensen was going to be the #59 pick in the 2nd round

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Maybe to save your job? 

Especially if it was Hurney pushing for Bridgewater. 

That'd be like some incompetent manager on a Performance Improvement Plan at a company as a last ditch effort going to the CEO and convincing him and the other executives to buy some $40 million piece of equipment that no one else wanted.  It's REALLY hard to rationalize that being how things went down...but if it's true, I'll have lost a ton of faith in Tepper and Rhule's judgment.

7 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Is there an answer to this question?

To be fair, if I'm Rhule, I don't want my first season in which I'm asking for my players and staff (Brady) to believe in me to be subject to the unpredictability of an unproven QB.  I need them to believe in the process, but there is no process if your QB is not competent enough to operate the offense, and not competent enough for the team to believe a win is possible on any given Sunday.  I need a baseline of competence so everyone gives their best.

This also jives with the idea of not losing on purpose to the WFT.  You play to win the game.

Edited by Bostonheelfish
  • Pie 1

My guess is that they thought they could build for the future and win now.  And to be honest, had they been able to play a little better in the last 4 minutes of most games last year, they would have won more, maybe even competed for the last wildcard spot.  Hopefully, the team is better this year and Darnold can perform better under pressure than TB did.  

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he was going to be the pick and then we were going to trade back up for Marshall, then why did Marshall ultimately end up being the pick? That doesn't make any sense.

Must have gotten intel saying Marshall wouldnt make it, but Christensen would. Scott, Pat, Rhule all have sources on other teams. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Listened to the full interview with Voth, good stuff.

Most interesting thing to me is around the middle where he mentioned there being confusion in the front office last season regarding how things were aligned, who was in charge, etc.

He specifically highlights the question, "Why are you picking up a quarterback to help you win now when you're talking about a long-term build?"

That fits in with what we've heard before about last year.

wow it's almost like we knew signing Teddy was a terrible decision from the jump

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he was going to be the pick and then we were going to trade back up for Marshall, then why did Marshall ultimately end up being the pick? That doesn't make any sense.

I think voth has that backwards. They were going to trade back into the second for BC, decided to wait, then finally pulled the trigger at 70.

• The D 1

50 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

I think voth has that backwards. They were going to trade back into the second for BC, decided to wait, then finally pulled the trigger at 70.

Could be.  I just listened to it.  He specifically said Brady was one of the ones on the board at 59 and together wanted to trade back up for Marshall.  And then he said “something changed” and they decided to go with Marshall.  

During that process Fit just kept telling everyone in the room “Trust the board.. Trust the board”. 

If that is how it actually happened who knows.  But it was refreshing that we actually had a plan instead of our GM getting drunk after the first round and letting the Hookers put the picks in the rest of the way.  

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Listened to the full interview with Voth, good stuff.

Most interesting thing to me is around the middle where he mentioned there being confusion in the front office last season regarding how things were aligned, who was in charge, etc.

He specifically highlights the question, "Why are you picking up a quarterback to help you win now when you're talking about a long-term build?"

That fits in with what we've heard before about last year.

As that may be, the most satisfying draft in the 25 years I've been following this team.

• Pie 1

Panthers LT Brady Christensen in 2020 received the highest grade Pro Football Focus has ever given to a collegiate offensive lineman. 

Christensen, the BYU product taken in the third round by the Panthers -- who had hoped to drafted Oregon LT Penei Sewell -- is the odds-on favorite to start the 2021 season as Carolina's left tackle. The team has sought a reliable left tackle since 2013, when Jordan Gross retired. Christensen's PFF grade of 96 last season was an all-time high as he allowed two pressures on BYU QB Zach Wilson on 293 pass plays. “He comes from that pro-style offense at BYU so he’s done the things that we are asking guys to do,” Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said. “He’s been doing it there. He’s a tackle candidate that can also go inside and play guard. Again, a great, great, great athlete. Intelligence, the whole package.” Carolina's offensive line was leaky for some of the 2020 season; PFF graded them as the 18th best pass blocking unit. Carolina landing Christensen and WR Terrace Marshall are big wins for Sam Darnold.