• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Rich Eisen Today

29 minutes ago, ChapelHeel80 said:

Why Jaycee Horn over Surtain? He was the perfect player for us. They loved that his dad played in the NFL. 

Why not Justin Fields? I believe in Sam. He deserves the opportunity to go out there and play for us. The hit rate on QB's in the first round is not very high. 

I always find that interesting. I think the Steelers and Tomlin take a similar approach. Drafting players from families with football pedigree. I mean it makes since, these kids have grown up with a HUGE competitive advantage being able to learn from somebody that's been there before. It's like having your own NFL personal trainer your whole life and getting to use resources that other kids just didn't have.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish he'd asked a follow up question here about the hit rate on bust reclamation projects.

This comment definitely gives some legs to my earlier speculation that this staff might just be scared of rookie QBs.

Yeah I'm sure implying to Rhule that someone (whose team just traded for) is a BUST will certainly result in him coming back for another interview.   /s   🙄

• Poo 1

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish he'd asked a follow up question here about the hit rate on bust reclamation projects.

This comment definitely gives some legs to my earlier speculation that this staff might just be scared of rookie QBs.

Mahomes is the exception. Not the rule. Just gotta remember that. So if you can add someone who scouts are comparing to Jalen Ramsay and try to build the team with defense instead of taking a risk on 1st round QB..I don’t mind that. 

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

E:  all the media people said Carolina would take a QB if available, and you had Fields

Matt  I believe in Sam and he deserves to get the chance.  

Lol

the same guy who said

‘I don’t believe in fairness in pro sports’

come on Matt 

• Flames 3

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Lol

the same guy who said

‘I don’t believe in fairness in pro sports’

come on Matt 

I'd be willing to bet he meant that based on the film he's seen rather than someone just being given a shot just because.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule referred to his time in New York as basically being his "junior and senior years".

They've pretty much confirmed that they're going to treat him like a rookie, and I think that's the right approach.

One good part of that though is that unlike a typical rookie, he won't have to get adjusted to the speed of the game.

Yep.  He can just go out there and "hit the ground running" as the expression goes.

His only challenge is learning the playbook, which I have no doubt he'd have any trouble doing.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, glenwo2 said:

Yep.  He can just go out there and "hit the ground running" as the expression goes.

His only challenge is learning the playbook, which I have no doubt he'd *NOT* have any trouble doing.

FIXED.  

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

41 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Does it really happen often enough to have reliable data? 

Of course it does. Almost every draft bust ends up getting a shot somewhere else before their career ultimately fizzles out, especially 1st round QBs. It just seems rare because the success rate is so abysmally low.

• Flames 2

A couple things from the bullet points I've read here:

I really, really hope our staff and so many of the analysts (Riddick, Kiper, McShay) out there who have spoken on it are right on Darnold.  Everything hinges on it.  As I've stated elsewhere many times, I just never saw "it" from him coming out of college, and what he looked like in NY was about what I expected.  Now, could having a coach who wasn't a coked out idiot made all the difference?  Sure.  But, we just don't know.  One thing I will say that stood out to me from Louis Riddick's comments about it during the draft was not only his conviction that Darnold was good still, but that when they interviewed him before their Jets' games, he would not make excuses or throw anyone else under the bus.  And from Riddick's take, it sounded like everyone knew how bad the organization was and Darnold had every right to throw them under the bus.  So, that really stood out to me and impressed me.  But again, I just was never impressed by what I saw physically, but I really hope I'm wrong.

And just to play devil's advocate, I know he mentioned the hit rate on QBs in the first round being so low, but you never know, this year could be the year that all of them hit.  Again, I just hope they're more right about Darnold than they are wrong for passing up Fields.  Also, they seemed to love Stafford, and he's really good, but I really prefer a QB who can not just extend plays with his legs, but is a threat with them a la Cam and Fields.  If you remove their names and tell me I can choose from a QB who has been in a dysfunctional organization for 3 years, has statistically been one of the worst QBs in that time, has a good but not great arm, and is an OK athlete, or I can have a guy who is a rookie, has put up huge numbers against the best programs in the country on a few occasions, can throw it 70 yards on a rope, has 4.4 speed, and their both roughly the same age - I'm taking the latter.  But, I also see and agree with the logic of getting Horn to fill a need and hoping you're right on Darnold.  Anyway, as someone else said in another post, at worst, if we are wrong on Darnold, the 49ers have provided a great blueprint...  if you do a magnificent job of building up the rest of the team first and all thats left is QB, the price to get one is one worth paying at that point, as they did this year (if they're right with Lance).

Also, it could be recency bias, but I just don't remember Hurney or Gettleman ever speaking on their picks with this much certainty and conviction that they were coming in to contribute right away.  Part of it may have to do with, even from the outside looking in, that there appears to be a legit plan in place, and the picks bear that out.  They took guys that made sense, filled a need, and clearly show they plan on throwing them in the fire immediately.  Under Gettleman and Hurney, we always had those headacratching picks where it literally felt like they just were throwing darts in the war room - no need, not athletic, etc.  And in the presser, it also was clear through their generic responses that they weren't clear on how that pick was going to be used or if they even planned on them being on the roster come August.  We are clearly in a different era, and I love it.

• Pie 8

25 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I always find that interesting. I think the Steelers and Tomlin take a similar approach. Drafting players from families with football pedigree. I mean it makes since, these kids have grown up with a HUGE competitive advantage being able to learn from somebody that's been there before. It's like having your own NFL personal trainer your whole life and getting to use resources that other kids just didn't have.

Yeah, this has been a long time Steelers approach.

26 minutes ago, Castavar said:

That, plus genetics are real

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

His only challenge is learning the playbook, which I have no doubt he'd have any trouble doing.

Darnold has probably been the worst QB in the NFL over the past three seasons. I think it's gonna take a little more than just learning the playbook. We aren't exactly just plugging in Aaron Rodgers.

• Pie 3